Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ageless cars?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

A box on wheels or a melted plastic on wheels looks very aged.

In your opinion ya correct :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Viper_JB wrote: »
    In your opinion ya correct :p

Problem with this "ageless" malarkey is it's all got to do with people and their perceptions of aesthetics, memories, experience, etc. There's always some nutter for whom the sight of an orange, automatic Hillman Hunter with outsize fluffy-dice on the rear view mirror will bring back flowers and meadows and chocolate and that first kiss! :pac:

jimgoose wrote: »
    Problem with this "ageless" malarkey is it's all got to do with people and their perceptions of aesthetics, memories, experience, etc. There's always some nutter for whom the sight of an orange, automatic Hillman Hunter with outsize fluffy-dice on the rear view mirror will bring back flowers and meadows and chocolate and that first kiss! :pac:

Ya big time, so no right or wrong answer really just opinions...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Viper_JB wrote: »
    Ya big time, so no right or wrong answer really just opinions...
    My box on wheels '68 is ageless.
    That statement makes sense given some of the BS on this thread.
    It's just going round and round now.
    Can we not just look at it diffrently? I mean it clant be that diffcult for the rust of us to agree?

My box on wheels '68 is ageless...

You mean the Newport? They're gorgeous. :cool:

That's the kinda statement I take issue with really, just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it BS, it's like you've decided to make yourself self appointed judge of what's what on here.

Sorry for OT posts, I'm done now...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

My box on wheels '68 is ageless.
    It's just going round and round now.
    Can we not just look at it diffrently? I mean it clant be that diffcult for the rust of us to agree?

We can all agree on rust...
    Relax, it's only the internet.

dont20worry20sir20im20from20the20internetui7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

batmo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭VeVeX

JPF82 wrote: »
    The mark 1 Audi TT was launched in 1998. Not its biggest fan but it has aged well.

Agreed.

Also the S3 of the same period still looks fantastic -

s3007.jpg

So does the mark 2 fiesta IMO
    Ford_Fiesta_Mk2_Maroon.jpg

And this cortina is so modern it should have a 161 plate
    cortina004.jpg

...<Batmobile>...

That was a minimally-modified Lincoln Futura concept car. Remember what I was saying about the Jetsons? :pac:

Now that is a classy motor Cleve. Love the Cortina!

That was a minimally-modified Lincoln Futura concept car. Remember what I was saying about the Jetsons? :pac:

Futura? Wow it must be ageless.
    Like the Peugeot Corolla 1.9d... it just gets better with age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭JPF82

VeVeX wrote: »
    Agreed.

Also the S3 of the same period still looks fantastic -

I've always liked those. Might be a future purchase for me if I can find a clean one. I looked at them before but settled on a Mark 5 Golf GTI.

We were cheated out of the future! It's all wrong!
    (Hops in DeLorean to set things right)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

I think the title of the thread is at odds with the first post.
    Ageless is not really as descriptive as "timeless" when it comes to style.
    A Jag E-Type could be considered "timeless" as in it will always look good. But it's not a design that you could put a new reg on it and fool people.
    Those are two different things really.
    The Audi A2 is a good example. Not really a good looking car, probably will look very dated in 10 years, however because of the new trend towards taller cars, you could well take one and give it a good claybar and polish, stick on new wheels and tyres, and a 151 plate and arrive up to some friends house to show them your new car and most would probably accept it as fact that it's a new car without even thinking "it's a bit old looking".
    However, a Mk1 Golf certainly does not fit that bill. You can put your finger in the panel gaps and could almost limbo under the friggin thing with the 70's ground clearance for a start. That's before we get to the whole 70's look about the car! If you cleaned one up and drove it up to friends houses with a 151 plate, I can't think of anyone who'd be fooled, no matter how car-ignorant they were. "Lovely clean car that. What's the story with the reg though?" is the most likely statement!!
    I think that's the main point of confusion in this thread. Timeless, classic designs that'll look good probably forever are one thing, looking like you could fool someone into thinking it's genuinely a 151 car is completely different.

I'd say most of us are aware of that, but otherwise this would have been a very short thread.
    Post 1: Audi A2, 247 thanks, /thread. ;)

(though I still stand behind my choice of C111)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭kiteman

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    I think the title of the thread is at odds with the first post.
    Ageless is not really as descriptive as "timeless" when it comes to style.
    A Jag E-Type could be considered "timeless" as in it will always look good. But it's not a design that you could put a new reg on it and fool people.
    Those are two different things really.
    The Audi A2 is a good example. Not really a good looking car, probably will look very dated in 10 years, however because of the new trend towards taller cars, you could well take one and give it a good claybar and polish, stick on new wheels and tyres, and a 151 plate and arrive up to some friends house to show them your new car and most would probably accept it as fact that it's a new car without even thinking "it's a bit old looking".
    However, a Mk1 Golf certainly does not fit that bill. You can put your finger in the panel gaps and could almost limbo under the friggin thing with the 70's ground clearance for a start. That's before we get to the whole 70's look about the car! If you cleaned one up and drove it up to friends houses with a 151 plate, I can't think of anyone who'd be fooled, no matter how car-ignorant they were. "Lovely clean car that. What's the story with the reg though?" is the most likely statement!!
    I think that's the main point of confusion in this thread. Timeless, classic designs that'll look good probably forever are one thing, looking like you could fool someone into thinking it's genuinely a 151 car is completely different.

I think peoples perception of what the original post was intended to mean, was hugely misunderstood by most guys who posted. Thankfully it was too, as it made it all the more interesting as people just uploaded photos and comments of their favourite cars.

• Advertisement

I meant too add, I cant wait till I reach 50 posts, so I can bore you all with photos of the cars I've owned in the last 15 years or so.

In an effort to get me to 50 posts sooner, I wish to state my 00 Mazda Xedos 9 is timeless and ageless, as far as I'm concerned.

Also, please keep this thread going. Please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

This would nearly look better with a 151 plate than some of the cars in here :D
    catalina2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

ford_streetka.jpg

Right, I don't want to annoy anyone but I think the StreetKa still looks modern despite having come out in 2003. Granted there weren't many around but the styling appears relatively current still.

Cleveland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

Mustang

*dream car*

at one time I did actually own 2 Nissan S'cargo vans. They were brilliant to drive, very fast and amazingly stable for such a high sided car.
    If I had one now I'd stick a 151 plate on it for a giggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

kiteman wrote: »
    at one time I did actually own 2 Nissan S'cargo vans. They were brilliant to drive, very fast and amazingly stable for such a high sided car.
    If I had one now I'd stick a 151 plate on it for a giggle.

"And everytime I'd drive past people would say: look at that escargot"

Cheensbo wrote: »
    "And everytime I'd drive past people would say: look at that escargot"

HeHeHe

I know it looked like a frog, but it was actually called the S'cargo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

kiteman wrote: »
    I know it looked like a frog, but it was actually called the S'cargo

Sorry its a line from some film, popped into my head when I saw the name, at a longshot it may have been from richie rich??

• Advertisement

Sorry its a line from some film, popped into my head when I saw the name, at a longshot it may have been from richie rich??

Still a good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Only posted this in the "saw today" thread, ageless in my opinion - and gorgeous for a 2004.

Screen-Shot-2013-05-20-at-8.35.46-PM.png

Yes that is a beautiful estate car. Though at the price one would expect pure style, and it has it in shedloads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Peugeot309_SR.jpg

Always thought the Talbot 309 had an ageless quality to it.

Nope, it's from a much better film than Richie Rich. It's from Trading Places. A classic! :D

Always thought the Talbot 309 had an ageless quality to it.
    Ya - ageless in that no matter how far back in time you go it'll still look sh!te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Now, I should get one of these:

Fiat_850_Sport_1969_1.JPG

The puke yellow color is the highlight, I would have it in no other pigmentation!

Import it from Italy and slam a 151 plate on it, so that Paulie down the road will go "look at that gobsh1te, got a new 151 car...gotta go get meself one now!" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

AC_Cobra_1966_83930_20080605.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭noelf

I will stick my head up one more time are yiz ready .. take aim ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

noelf wrote: »
    Can't think of any 151s with popups....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

noelf wrote: »

Ah now. It's a lovely looking car.... for it's time but:

Pop up lights are old fashioned now
    The bumper design is old hat
    Whichever style of original alloys it'd wear just look old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

I move that new proposals actually have a 151 reg plate photoshopped on, and for the poster to have a good long look at it before posting

Can't think of any 151s with popups....

Yeah, but its the carmakers that are wrong. Any car with popups is automatically cooler than any car that doesn't. Scientific fact! Its the reptilian conspiracy that has conspired with the grey aliens to get rid if them to make the world a worse place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

pic124.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

you wont see a car being designed with pop up headlights any more, pedestrian safety and all that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Em, most of these cars look positively ancient. Delusional much?

Have to agree. With the exception of the e46 Coupe (in nice spec only), I have to agree with Dan here...

Some are lovely. but, there are too many stylng cues are driven by safety and economy such as high belt lines, thick "A" pillers" and polycarbonate headlights and LED technology has just changed the looks too much.

you wont see a car being designed with pop up headlights any more, pedestrian safety and all that

Personally I think that was a very poor decision. Frankly I think its worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

pic124.jpg

I really hope that was sarcastic?
    If it wasn't then how in gods name can you imagine that with a 151 plate on it?

Edit: Sounds a little attacking but its not I'm curious :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

I'd say most of us are aware of that, but otherwise this would have been a very short thread.
    Post 1: Audi A2, 247 thanks, /thread. ;)

(though I still stand behind my choice of C111)

The Audi A2 is the exception, but then it was too different at launch.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement