Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I came across a deal on amazon for 8GB of RAM which was around €45 at 33% off. I looked up the same thing on hardwareversand and it was the same price except there was no special deal advertised whatsoever. Standard price apparently.

Black Friday is a scam. That's probably 33% off of what it was worth a few years ago; add a limited timer and people will make bad decisions.

I think it might have been Adrian Weckler on the radio today saying that in a good few cases the original price marked for an electronic product was the original price it came out at in say Jan or awhile ago and not the current price i.e. something came out at 500e awhile ago and could be got last week for 350 but has the Black Friday price of 299 reduced from 500.

In saying that I got 2 Starbars for 1.50 today so that made my day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

After 6 I spent a little while trying to get the shop Xmas decorations out of the store, and put some cardboard boxes in the recycling bin. Unfortunately, some barsteward had left pallets, chairs and God knows what else in the way to try and trip me up.
    As I have some broken ribs I wasn't best pleased and chucked chairs, monitors, pc'a and printers into our car park for those fckers to clear up tomorrow.....now for a bottle of red wine and the toyshow!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Can't get stupid bloody RTE iPlayer to work.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I lasted eight whole minutes of the toy show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I think it might have been Adrian Weckler on the radio today saying that in a good few cases the original price marked for an electronic product was the original price it came out at in say Jan or awhile ago and not the current price i.e. something came out at 500e awhile ago and could be got last week for 350 but has the Black Friday price of 299 reduced from 500.

In saying that I got 2 Starbars for 1.50 today so that made my day :D

We did a job in Cadbury last week and got to go into the factory shop. Star bars were 9 cents!!

I bought 2...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mfceiling wrote: »
    We did a job in Cadbury last week and got to go into the factory shop. Star bars were 9 cents!!

I bought 2...

The place I was working in last Friday were one of Saracens sponsors and a few of the players came in to do a meet and greet.

They were disgustingly pretty :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Have I mentioned yet I love Italian food and wine? :D

Zzippy wrote: »

Ah Jaysis, are you pissed again?

Stheno wrote: »
    Ah Jaysis, are you pissed again?

I'm on moneyhoon, I'm allowed to get pissed! :D

Do you want to come on holidays with me next year Zzippy!!

Road trip, road trip, road trip!!

• Advertisement

Two words that are dear to my heart... Montepulciano d'Abruzzo! ;)

I'm on moneyhoon, I'm allowed to get pissed! :D

Rugby forum road trip for the Italian 6N game?
    Two words that are dear to my heart... Montepulciano d'Abruzzo! ;)

Lovely wine.

When you get back, if you have an O'Briens near you, go in and ask for Tannat, I remember you once posted about enjoying Malbec, they have a fantastic Tannat that you might enjoy, if I can I'll look up the name of the bottle :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Have to say that I don't understand this Irish obsession with the toy show. Every year. What's the big deal?
    Where are you going to watch the toy show? No! **** off! There is rugby on, crappy movies to watch and I'm not 8 years old.

Stheno wrote: »
    I lasted eight whole minutes of the toy show.

I fell asleep! Saw a kid called kazoo and that was it until my child kicked me awake at the end credits :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Its just hilarious. Have some drinks and open up a twitter stream or boards thread and just have a laugh :D

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    I fell asleep! Saw a kid called kazoo and that was it until my child kicked me awake at the end credits :)

My eldest is only 5 and he just wouldn't last that late so I DVR'd it and will all sit down Sunday late afternoon to watch it. Makes WAY more sense.

My eldest is only 5 and he just wouldn't last that late so I DVR'd it and will all sit down Sunday late afternoon to watch it. Makes WAY more sense.

It was me didnt last, she stayed awake thru the whole lot....and she recorded it too!

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    It was me didnt last, she stayed awake thru the whole lot....and she recorded it too!

Yeah mine stayed up to 12 to watch it and then very generously got up at 6.30 this morning to watch it again.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Have to say that I don't understand this Irish obsession with the toy show. Every year. What's the big deal?
    Where are you going to watch the toy show? No! **** off! There is rugby on, crappy movies to watch and I'm not 8 years old.

I've watched it once as a child and once as an adult. I really don't get it. I don't particularly fancy watching Ryan Tubridy having awkward conversations with children.

• Advertisement

Are we claiming Tyson Fury as an Irish world heavyweight champion?

Man, I really really love Italian food. And wine. Especially Montepulciano. And now grappa. Mmmmm....

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Only been very casually looking at wedding stuff for about a day and I am already stressed. The cost of everything is unreal. :(

awec wrote: »
    Only been very casually looking at wedding stuff for about a day and I am already stressed. The cost of everything is unreal. :(

*laughs uncontrollably*

Wait to you have kids buddy!! I remember back in 2003 having a thing called disposable income.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

If it's any consolation you can make a lot of it back through presents if you ask for cash. It can be very expensive though, especially if your OH has expensive taste. Like mine does.

molloyjh wrote: »
    If it's any consolation you can make a lot of it back through presents if you ask for cash. It can be very expensive though, especially if your OH has expensive taste. Like mine does.

Nah she has not got expensive taste at all, she would very happily get married in her mum and dad's back garden if it were logistically possible!

We have the added issue of being from opposite ends of the country. Hard to know what to do location wise whether you make one family travel the entire distance or you meet in the middle and have both travel (and probably pay a bit more). The other issue then is with all the travel you have to invite everyone to the full day, can't exactly expect anyone to travel anywhere for an evening invite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The best part of the wedding will be when the best man produces a "best wishes" video from John Lacey and Jerome Garces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

What's wrong with eloping? It's cheaper and you're already on your honeymoon. The added bonus is it might piss your families off so much that they stop talking to you. No dealing with in-laws, you don't have to attend stupid family functions and there's no arguing about where you're going to spend Xmas.

Trust me, elope.

Nah she has not got expensive taste at all, she would very happily get married in her mum and dad's back garden if it were logistically possible!

We have the added issue of being from opposite ends of the country. Hard to know what to do location wise whether you make one family travel the entire distance or you meet in the middle and have both travel (and probably pay a bit more). The other issue then is with all the travel you have to invite everyone to the full day, can't exactly expect anyone to travel anywhere for an evening invite.

I'd say whatever is handy for you. Molloyjh, myself and .ak will probably run a bus to it anyway...road trip for us and a free feed!!

Dinner Options....

"Bacon and Egg Soda or Sausage and Egg Soda sir?"

There's a decent wedding forum on here which has budget calculators and bargain alerts and loads of info

The best part of the wedding will be when the best man produces a "best wishes" video from John Lacey and Jerome Garces.

That is ingenious. I would imagine they would do it if you got in touch :pac:

• Advertisement

That is ingenious. I would imagine they would do it if you got in touch :pac:

"Is there anyone here who for any reason deems that these two should not be married"

Lacey stands up at the back of the church grasping a red card and Garces is standing at station 4 pointing a flag at Awec.

Sorry... fleg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Most people overnight nowadays anyway, so aside from cost of fuel there isn't a huge extra cost in travelling.

Fools advice, go with a location you (the couple) want or go for a foreign wedding.

I also think evening invites are/should be a thing of the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Meeting in the middle inconveniences both sides. Tradition usually dictates that the wedding takes place in the bride's home place - she can get ready in her parent's house. Whoever has to travel will have to stay overnight regardless, whether it's in the middle of the country or the far side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

So I have cast my vote in the first part of the NZ flag referendum.

Sadly (and I imagine incomprehensibly to many people on this forum), it looks like we will probably stick with the generic British colonial design.

There is zero chance I will ever fly a flag that is continually mistaken for Australia's.

I'm not actually that much of a flag person, but the Swiss are fairly wild for the their flags, "Japanesque" you could say.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    There is zero chance I will ever fly a flag that is continually mistaken for Australia's.

G'day mate!

Just been through it. Seriously, don't sweat it. Shop around, haggle, especially with hotels, but don't worry about the cost - unless you go all extravagant you'll get loads of cash presents that will cover a lot of the costs. Pick a nice venue ye both like, pick a good band that you know will pack the floor, and pick only the people you really want at your wedding - do those 3 and the rest will fall into place and you'll have a great day.

I'd say whatever is handy for you. Molloyjh, myself and .ak will probably run a bus to it anyway...road trip for us and a free feed!!

Dinner Options....

"Bacon and Egg Soda or Sausage and Egg Soda sir?"

I'm in....

phog wrote: »
    Most people overnight nowadays anyway, so aside from cost of fuel there isn't a huge extra cost in travelling.

Fools advice, go with a location you (the couple) want or go for a foreign wedding.

I also think evening invites are/should be a thing of the past.

This. Especially the bit about picking where you want to go. It's your wedding, and with all the politics that can be easily forgotten. Don't go forgetting that trying to keep everyone else happy.

This. Especially the bit about picking where you want to go. It's your wedding, and with all the politics that can be easily forgotten. Don't go forgetting that trying to keep everyone else happy.

Except trying to keep all us on here happy. Very important that happens.

And have the service you want. I've never forgotten two things from my former wedding, the first being my mil/fil rocking up to the house at 9am after we had finished an 11 hour nightshift, and informing us they would not be attending as they were not happy with the service we were having, and the second being the evil old cowbag telling me I looked too "gummy" in the wedding photographs.

THe first caused us to change the entire service, the second was just being a bitter and evil cowbag.
    Except trying to keep all us on here happy. Very important that happens.

Sure a tent behind the hotel with bacon sammiches will be fine :) As long as there is beer, proper beer.

And good red wine for myself and Zzippy

• Advertisement

There'll be Harp.

There'll be Harp.

:confused::eek::confused::eek:

There'll be Harp.

Cans I hope...none of this fancy bottle nonsense.

I presume there'll only be one choice of wine for the toast...The Lurgan champagne*

*buckfast*

Series link 'Don't Tell the Bride' for plenty of top tips on what is and what is not acceptable to organise...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Series link 'Don't Tell the Bride' for plenty of top tips on what is and what is not acceptable to organise...

Be prepared to have the TV monopolised for various wedding shows right up until you tie the knot.

After a brief honeymoon if you haven't bought a place already the wedding will be followed by endless Kevin McCloud broadcasts. If you have already bought a place you're looking at Sarah Beeny et al telling you how to renovate/extend it.

When you have a suitable nest you'll be astonished to find out just how many baby programmes are broadcast.

Good luck awec!

I'm sure awec already has his application in for the show himself. Maybe we should be series linking it so that we don't miss him! :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

A compromise might be this place in Westmeath: http://www.boutiquecamping.ie/

My cousin had his wedding there. A selection of churches in the area and a non-denominational one on the grounds. We took over the whole place for 4 days. It was pretty great and reasonably priced.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There's no phone coverage but it's good craic. Silly prices for some of the little huts though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

My yurt looked out over a lake and you couldn't see any others from it. Twas glorious! The houses you can rent are fairly savage. The little huts are grand, but I've no idea how much they cost. This was a couple of years ago, so chances are prices have crept up since. I know they had a BYOB policy, but have since built a bar.

• Advertisement

Clearlier wrote: »
    Be prepared to have the TV monopolised for various wedding shows right up until you tie the knot.

After a brief honeymoon if you haven't bought a place already the wedding will be followed by endless Kevin McCloud broadcasts. If you have already bought a place you're looking at Sarah Beeny et al telling you how to renovate/extend it.

When you have a suitable nest you'll be astonished to find out just how many baby programmes are broadcast.

Good luck awec!

Then when you have kids, and a dog, and a goldfish and a hamster you will have watched every cartoon under the sun.
    You will arrive home and find her watching the kardashians and Geordie Shore. At this stage you will start to wonder how many years you will have left until you die.
    By the way...do you know how much it costs to have a kid and send them to school....and that gets more expensive every year.

Good luck with everything though....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement