Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

mfceiling wrote: »
    Then when you have kids, and a dog, and a goldfish and a hamster you will have watched every cartoon under the sun.
    You will arrive home and find her watching the kardashians and Geordie Shore. At this stage you will start to wonder how many years you will have left until you die.
    By the way...do you know how much it costs to have a kid and send them to school....and that gets more expensive every year.

Good luck with everything though....

Makes me kinda glad I'm firing blanks and only had 1 kid ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Then when you have kids, and a dog, and a goldfish and a hamster you will have watched every cartoon under the sun.
    You will arrive home and find her watching the kardashians and Geordie Shore. At this stage you will start to wonder how many years you will have left until you die.
    By the way...do you know how much it costs to have a kid and send them to school....and that gets more expensive every year.

You can always go and play with the neighbours' kids though. Only after you've eaten all your veges and done your chores though. Leave her to watch her rubbish tv and look after the kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    Makes me kinda glad I'm firing blanks and only had 1 kid ;)

I'm a disaster...wife's sister told me to be careful not to bump into anyone in the supermarket or they could end up pregnant!!
    Most couples end up trying for months and sure as a man there's a bonus with that.

Not MF....oh no, bullseye every fcuking time!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Makes me glad I never had kids, and when I met my OH his kids were old enough to grasp the concept of "I Stheno, own the remote control :D"

There was a brief transitional period where I watched way too much of two and a half men and futurama (I think?)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Stheno wrote: »
    I watched way too much futurama

Literally no such thing

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Thanks mate, you make it all sound so wonderful. :pac:

awec wrote: »

Where in the name of jesus do you find these things!!

You need to be watching don't tell the bride now on bbc3 awec

Where in the name of jesus do you find these things!!

It popped up on my facebook feed!
    You need to be watching don't tell the bride now on bbc3 awec

Yea that's not happening. More to the point why are you watching it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yea that's not happening. More to the point why are you watching it?

It makes for an easier life if you just give in to the other half.

Else you need two telly rooms, I've mine and the Oh has his, two of our couple friends are the same, it's deadly.

Now none of us have children, but I'd imagine at this hour most children would be in bed.

My OH is due home soon, off up he'll to go his telly, and I will happily sit here watching what I want :)

He watches some weird ****.

We might be a bit extreme though, he works from home permanently and I work from home a lot, so we text each other from our respective offices in the house when we have conference calls and the likes so we are not disturbed.

Mark Zuckerberg is giving 99% of his Facebook shares to charity.

That is a lot of monies! $45 billion.

Billion! American billion but still.

Mark Zuckerberg is giving 99% of his Facebook shares to charity.

That is a lot of monies! $45 billion.

Billion! American billion but still.

You could apply to cover the cost of the wedding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Not to diminish the importance of what he's done, but from a selfish perspective Id actually imagine donating that money is probably more fulfilling than anything else you can do with it!

Not to diminish the importance of what he's done, but from a selfish perspective Id actually imagine donating that money is probably more fulfilling than anything else you can do with it!

I'd like to be given the opportunity to find out if you're right! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

yo must have never had a money fight so :pac:

Not sure what else you could do with the money tbh.

Consider that the 1% 'left' is $450m, which is probably enough for early retirement and a life of doing whatever you wanted anyway, making the other 99 of those seem pretty irrelevant or at the very least unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Consider that the 1% 'left' is $450m, which is probably enough for early retirement and a life of doing whatever you wanted anyway, making the other 99 of those seem pretty irrelevant or at the very least unnecessary.

I can't imagine he was penniless beforehand either in fairness. It's easy to give away lots of money when you have lots of money.

That said there are still plenty of people out there who have lots and give little so I suppose credit where it's due....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

That $450 just applies to his Facebook shares he also has other mone. Apparently his total worth after giving away the 99% will be in the region of $3bn

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Triumvirate

I'm no fan of his but credit where it is due. It's a massive gesture and one that the vast majority of the 1% would never give any consideration to. People here seem to be very dismissive of his plans or quite begrudging in their praise of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/_assets/sri/perils/quiz/

What I learnt: in comparison to NZ, people living in Ireland are more religious, more rural, mostly born in Ireland. Oh and you have a bit less internet access. And hardly any women in parliament.

I kind of knew all that already, but still...

Alas, Suisse isn't there to compare

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The religious thing could be a red herring as I'm sure the numbers baptised is still quite high but that's mainly so they can get the kid into a school. The numbers actually going to mass are way way down even though I'm sure on the census people still say they're Catholics.

I can't find the article now but there was one I was reading saying that most Catholics are actually protestants in that they believe what the protestants believe instead of the catholic dogma.

Have a look through these differences and see how many you think most Catholics would actually believe

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/naturalwonderers/catholics-protestants/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The religious thing could be a red herring as I'm sure the numbers baptised is still quite high but that's mainly so they can get the kid into a school. The numbers actually going to mass are way way down even though I'm sure on the census people still say they're Catholics.

I can't find the article now but there was one I was reading saying that most Catholics are actually protestants in that they believe what the protestants believe instead of the catholic dogma.

Have a look through these differences and see how many you think most Catholics would actually believe

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/naturalwonderers/catholics-protestants/

If there is one place Irish people definitely say they are Catholic it's when they come to hospital. Have no real idea why that question is needed, but it's just about the first thing asked. In NZ that sort of Q will get a fair chunk of the population in a tizz. Letters to the paper, people ringing up NZs version of Joe Duffy etc.

1 in 4 of NZs population born outside NZ. It's the new America of immigration...

swiwi_ wrote: »
    If there is one place Irish people definitely say they are Catholic it's when they come to hospital. Have no real idea why that question is needed, but it's just about the first thing asked. In NZ that sort of Q will get a fair chunk of the population in a tizz. Letters to the paper, people ringing up NZs version of Joe Duffy etc.

1 in 4 of NZs population born outside NZ. It's the new America of immigration...

Yeah, I found that super weird when I was in A&E in the Mater years ago. I was vaguely worried that the wrong answer would see me thrown out.

By the way...if awec decides to get married im Chicago, I am certified to marry in the states as I am a Dudeism minister, the church of the latter day dude :)
    Just throwing it out there, marriage, honeymoon and pay the minister in match day tickets ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

swiwi_ wrote: »

I didn't even know this was a thing. I've had my share of trips to A&E and never been asked my religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Bazzo wrote: »
    I didn't even know this was a thing. I've had my share of trips to A&E and never been asked my religion.

I had surgery in a private hospital a few weeks ago and was asked my religion on admission. I've never been asked on just presenting to a&e, but when admitted through a&e it's a question on the form.

It's so that they can provide pastoral care or chaplains or whatever.

In the mater the priest goes around daily offering you communion. Was glad to be nil by mouth those days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

I assume you can just ignore that field?

Or have some fun, pretend you worship the almighty Savior and Destructor, Cthulhu!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Or have some fun, pretend you worship the almighty Savior and Destructor, Cthulhu!

Jedi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I remember in first year in college we were told of a guy who wrote Sun Worshipper on his registration form. Come the 21st December, 8am or so, he was wrecked hungover after going on the lash for the last night before heading home for Christmas, when the dean of the college banged on his dorm room door, demanding he come out to join him to greet the sunrise and fulfil his religious duties... :D

They always ask religion in hospitals because if someone is particularly unwell they can prepare for pastoral visitation but also they have to be aware of restrictions on care within certain religions.

It has no other bearing on treatment or priority at all.

I know in one major Dublin hospital they stopped putting up the Crib at Christmas because non christian patients were complaining. Issues are arising with several hospitals that house chapels for not catering to other religions, the likely outcome being that they have to get rid of all chapels.

I put Jedi on the last census form. My misses was not impressed and the rest of the family were put down as Catholic though no one here goes to mass. ever.

I once found myself being shaken awake in hospital by a nurse (alcohol related accident) and she kept asking me my name religion, eventually she shouted name! and I replied "Pink fairy". religion!.."no thanks" and I turned over and passed out again...my wife who had been in tears until that point started laughing and told me afterwards that as soon as she heard me say that she knew I was grand :)

It's a mad question to ask.

Imagine you're in a hospital bed and someone says to you "which made up pretend friend do you think is the best and in your opinion is way better than any other made up pretend friend"?

I understand though that it has to be asked...jehovah witness and blood transfusions spring to mind.

I thought the idea was to get a dying person blessed and forgiven of sin before they pass away. They won't spend any time in pergurtory if the priest gets there in the time.

Clever Irish hospitals thinking about the bigger picture.

• Advertisement

Imagine you're in a hospital bed and someone says to you "which made up pretend friend do you think is the best and in your opinion is way better than any other made up pretend friend"?

I understand though that it has to be asked...jehovah witness and blood transfusions spring to mind.

If I was a doc I'd dress as Dracula and suck the fckers dry :)

Oscar Pistorius has had his conviction changed to murder, he's to be resentenced and will obviously be sent back to jail.

Seems the appeals judge really went to town on the ruling of the trial judge, who if I recall correctly decided he couldn't have known that shooting blindly through a door four times might have resulted in someone getting killed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Yeah, I found that super weird when I was in A&E in the Mater years ago. I was vaguely worried that the wrong answer would see me thrown out.

The wrong answer is Jehovah's witness.

Oscar Pistorius has had his conviction changed to murder, he's to be resentenced and will obviously be sent back to jail.

Seems the appeals judge really went to town on the ruling of the trial judge, who if I recall correctly decided he couldn't have known that shooting blindly through a door four times might have resulted in someone getting killed.

Delighted to hear. Was a nonsense judgement which has been heavily criticised. Like a Ref in a big game bottling a much deserved red.

He isn't a nice guy in person at all, no one who has competed against him would have a good word to say.

Delighted to hear. Was a nonsense judgement which has been heavily criticised. Like a Ref in a big game bottling a much deserved red.

He isn't a nice guy in person at all, no one who has competed against him would have a good word to say.

Whether or not he's a nice guy isn't relevant though. I wonder if under SA law, his defence are now allowed appeal this new decision

• Advertisement

Whether or not he's a nice guy isn't relevant though. I wonder if under SA law, his defence are now allowed appeal this new decision

The only appeal left to him is to the constitutional court. He will need to prove that a constitutional right has been breached in the sentencing which is an uphill battle to be honest.

Of course his general demeanour has no bearing on guilt, but in my opinion he's a murderer that played the victim throughout the entire trial and that to me is despicable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

The wrong answer is Jehovah's witness.

I combined these two posts and thought Pickarooney was making an epic joke about it being okay to shoot 4 times through the door if you thought it was a Jehovas witness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

If anyone here uses ulster banks online banking and your chrome stops working, uninstall trustee rapport, it is causing issues. I just lost an hour to the f**ker when I have a massive report due in a few days :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭TeoReid

I thought the idea was to get a dying person blessed and forgiven of sin before they pass away. They won't spend any time in pergurtory if the priest gets there in the time.

isn't it also about some religions not accepting certain medical treatments? Jehovah's Witnesses and blood transfusions, for example?

They always ask religion in hospitals because if someone is particularly unwell they can prepare for pastoral visitation but also they have to be aware of restrictions on care within certain religions.

It has no other bearing on treatment or priority at all.

I know in one major Dublin hospital they stopped putting up the Crib at Christmas because non christian patients were complaining. Issues are arising with several hospitals that house chapels for not catering to other religions, the likely outcome being that they have to get rid of all chapels.

I put Jedi on the last census form. My misses was not impressed and the rest of the family were put down as Catholic though no one here goes to mass. ever.

Do they still do the thing where a priest does the rounds every day and asks if you want to pray/have communion/whatever?

Stheno wrote: »
    Do they still do the thing where a priest does the rounds every day and asks if you want to pray/have communion/whatever?

Sometimes just a chaplin. Not sure how common it is, but they do still do it and I hope they continue as even for non religious folk, sometimes its nice for lonely patients to have a chat with someone.

RIP Scott Weiland :(

Oh I so want to comment! But I know I'd be red carded quicker than Donnacha O'Callaghan :)

Oh I so want to comment! But I know I'd be red carded quicker than Donnacha O'Callaghan :)

Think it's fairly easy to buy on leeson St....

*coughs...so I've been told...coughs*

State of the weather. I guess I'm staying in. The question is though, which unlucky delivery man am I summoning to my door? Any suggestions? I live in D2

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement