Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Triumvirate

awec wrote: »
    don't watch the sport

Don't let that stop you having strong, critical opinions on the matter.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Don't let that stop you having strong, critical opinions on the matter.

You hardly need to have extensive experience of it to know that a single punch knockout after 14 seconds is very poor. That's just pure common sense.

How many other fights have ended in this manner?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Triumvirate

You hardly need to have extensive experience of it to know that a single punch knockout after 14 seconds is very poor. That's just pure common sense.

Loads. You're talking nonsense with authority about a topic you've openly admitted you don't follow at all.

It's utterly ridiculous.

Happens regularly, often though an early grapple results in a submission but plenty of fights end in the first round. Lot's of ways to take someone down when all fighting styles are on the table.

But in this case the only fighting style being used was an ancient Okinawan art called "Luck Karate" clearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Anyone can end a fight immediately with one punch, it just takes a bit of luck.

First round knockouts are very common. Not first exchange knockouts as much.

• Advertisement

I didn't ask about first round.

I asked how many times are people beaten the very first time they are even touched 15 seconds in? Even better if people can tell me how many times champions lose their belt like this.

Anyone can end a fight immediately with one punch, it just takes a bit of luck.

Not according to this thread. No luck involved at all.

Anyone can end a fight immediately with one punch, it just takes a bit of skill, training, experience and knowing your opponent.

FYP

Not according to this thread. No luck involved at all.

I've seen plenty of fights ending early in the first round. I can't remember a huge number of KO's that early, but it has happened.

I can remember a couple of titles lost to early submissions though, especially a couple of years ago when wrestlers were ftm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I knew how good aldo was but last night was just wow!!
    Was it a case that aldo was the best of a mediocre lot? Has he ever taken a heavy shot before?
    Or is conor an exceptional athlete who is head and shoulders above everyone else at that weight?
    All I know is that he has knockout power and that is incredibly dangerous in any combat sport.
    I don't know if any of you remember Nigel Benn from years ago...not the greatest boxer in the world but he could knock guys out for fun. Mcgregor also seems to possess this talent.

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    Was it a case that aldo was the best of a mediocre lot? Has he ever taken a heavy shot before?
    I asked this but the consensus seems to be that Aldo is amazing.
    Or is conor an exceptional athlete who is head and shoulders above everyone else at that weight?
    The consensus seems to be that McGregor is head and shoulders above. BUT, for some reason the fight was still deemed to be big contest. Not sure how, if McGregor is that good it would suggest he was fighting an opponent significantly weaker and beneath him.

The other option is that Aldo had an off day (or wasn't really 100%) and was unfortunate that the first blow knocked him out. But the consensus is that this is impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

All I know is that he has knockout power and that is incredibly dangerous in any combat sport.
    I don't know if any of you remember Nigel Benn from years ago...not the greatest boxer in the world but he could knock guys out for fun. Mcgregor also seems to possess this talent.

He couldn't knock out our Celtic Warrior, and he tried hard ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The consensus seems to be that McGregor is head and shoulders above. BUT, for some reason the fight was still deemed to be big contest. Not sure how, if McGregor is that good it would suggest he was fighting an opponent significantly weaker and beneath him.

This is such rubbish.

Aldo is very good and now we know that McGregor is very very good.

Aldo has taken very heavy shots before and won. He was unbeaten for 10 years (a streak that started when he was 19 years old) and of course there's been plenty of big strikers in that time.

McGregor looks the best in that division but there are a couple of other fighters there who could in theory give him trouble (Mendes/Edgar), it will be very interesting to see how he does against them or against Aldo again.

I still want to see Aldo fight McGregor again more than anything else. Aldo was considered by some to be the best fighter in the UFC for a long time. Maybe he's just past it now (although he's still young), or maybe there's a surprise waiting there.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    This is such rubbish.

Aldo is very good and now we know that McGregor is very very good.

Or perhaps! Aldo is good, and McGregor is very good.

The other option is that Aldo had an off day (or wasn't really 100%) and was unfortunate that the first blow knocked him out. But the consensus is that this is impossible.

Where are you getting this consensus from?

I'd say that's pretty much exactly what happened, a bit of luck mixed with one excellent punch took him by surprise.

Where are you getting this consensus from?

I'd say that's pretty much exactly what happened, a bit of luck mixed with one excellent punch took him by surprise.

Have you read this thread? :D

I said it was luck, everyone else (bar you) says there was absolutely no luck or fortune involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

How was the dinner MF?

wrong thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I asked this but the consensus seems to be that Aldo is amazing.

Literally nobody said that this fight was a big contest. There was no contest, it was a 13 second knockout.

You laid out 2 possibilities:

a)McGregor is just lucky
    b)Aldo is ****e

And those possibilities were rightly rubbished because neither of them is within an asses roar of being accurate. It'd be like someone who admits they never watch rugby coming in and seeing New Zealand fairly comprehensively beating Australia in the world cup final and saying "Are those Australians terrible or are New Zealand just really lucky?"

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »
    Literally nobody said that this fight was a big contest. There was no contest, it was a 13 second knockout.

a)McGregor is just lucky
    b)Aldo is ****e

And those possibilities were rightly rubbished because neither of them is within an asses roar of being accurate. It'd be like someone who admits they never watch rugby coming in and seeing New Zealand fairly comprehensively beating Australia in the world cup final and saying "Are those Australians terrible or are New Zealand just really lucky?"

I meant in the build up. It was billed as a big fight, though it now seems that people are saying one of the competitors is head and shoulders better than the other which sounds more like a mismatch than anything.

The talk here seems to be like New Zealand beating Australia 80-0 and everyone praising New Zealand while at the same time saying how amazing Australia are.

New Zealand tanked France in the World Cup. They had the fortune that France were actually rubbish.

I meant in the build up. It was billed as a big fight, though it now seems that people are saying one of the competitors is head and shoulders better than the other which sounds more like a mismatch than anything.

The talk here seems to be like New Zealand beating Australia 80-0 and everyone praising New Zealand while at the same time saying how amazing Australia are.

New Zealand tanked France in the World Cup. They had the fortune that France were actually rubbish.

And if France were unbeaten for 10 years and then went out and got 80 nilled by New Zealand in 1 match would you conclude they were rubbish?

Zzippy wrote: »
    How was the dinner MF?

Cauliflower soup to start...I left it...hate cauliflower.
    Starter - took nothing....fish or duck liver - no

Main - steak!! Except it was about 1 to 2 oz's..With one mushroom and some sort of broccoli stem. Literally 3 bites and it was gone. It was the tiniest steak I've ever seen in my life - father in law reckoned they cut a 6oz fillet in 3 and it was divided between us.

Desert - nothing. Poached pears with ginger and some other crap.

Had a nice coffee though.

125 quid for a 2 oz steak was in my mind disgraceful.

Way too fussy and there probably is a better atmosphere on the moon. Way too quiet and the fact that you had to put on a suit almost killed me. I'm going to Pitt Bros next week and I'm going all out on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Cauliflower soup to start...I left it...hate cauliflower.
    Starter - took nothing....fish or duck liver - no

Main - steak!! Except it was about 1 to 2 oz's..With one mushroom and some sort of broccoli stem. Literally 3 bites and it was gone. It was the tiniest steak I've ever seen in my life - father in law reckoned they cut a 6oz fillet in 3 and it was divided between us.

Desert - nothing. Poached pears with ginger and some other crap.

Had a nice coffee though.

125 quid for a 2 oz steak was in my mind disgraceful.

Way too fussy and there probably is a better atmosphere on the moon. Way too quiet and the fact that you had to put on a suit almost killed me. I'm going to Pitt Bros next week and I'm going all out on it.

Well at least you bonded with the father outlaw. :D

Bazzo wrote: »

a)McGregor is just lucky
    b)Aldo is ****e

Of course there was luck involved.

I don't know how anyone can think there wasn't some luck involved in that exchange. I don't think there's ever been a one punch knockout that hasn't involved a healthy dollop of luck.

I don't know how anyone can think there wasn't some luck involved in that exchange. I don't think there's ever been a one punch knockout that hasn't involved a healthy dollop of luck.

I don't believe luck exists in sport at all.

You'd better tell the McGregor fanclub on here that, quite a few seem to think it was better planned than the D-day landings

I don't believe luck exists in sport at all.

Oh do go on, this is going to be a giggle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    You'd better tell the McGregor fanclub on here that, quite a few seem to think it was better planned than the D-day landings

It can be both planned and lucky. McGregor said in the build up that he felt Aldo would swing with his right, McGregor would be able to slip it and nail him with the left. Low and behold that's what happened. Obviously that was a sequence he'd anticipated and practiced.

Knockin him out with one shot obviously involves a degree of luck but calling it flukey would be wrong too.

• Advertisement

Oh do go on, this is going to be a giggle

It's easy to say that something was lucky, but it largely ignores skill. For example, when Wade scored the try against Leinster, was that luck that the ball bounced away from Dave Kearney, or was it skill that the high ball was put in just the right area with a player turned the wrong way and Wade having the wherewithal to get into position? Not luck, skill.

It's like when a Doctor cures someone and afterwards they thank God for helping them recover.

No such thing as luck in sport.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    It can be both planned and lucky. McGregor said in the build up that he felt Aldo would swing with his right, McGregor would be able to slip it and nail him with the left. Low and behold that's what happened. Obviously that was a sequence he'd anticipated and practiced.

Knockin him out with one shot obviously involves a degree of luck but calling it flukey would be wrong too.

But no it doesn't. He trained his ass off to hit hard enough to switch someone off, and he studied his opponent to know when he would get an opportunity to produce that hit.

That it happened after 13 seconds doesn't make it lucky, it's skill and hard work.

Toulon are so lucky Leinster don't have better players.

Somebody lays out an argument not in line with your opinion: label them a fan boy and move on :rolleyes: I'm out.

"Sure McGregor couldn't have been lucky. There isn't even such thing as luck!"

:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I guess this was pretty luck too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obgm6JNtyVo&t=6m5s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

*Think I'll have a quick peak in off topic to see what's happening*

giphy.gif

No no - that was "chance", it would need to happen sooner for it to be "luck". If it happened later it would be "charmed".

But no it doesn't. He trained his ass off to hit hard enough to switch someone off, and he studied his opponent to know when he would get an opportunity to produce that hit.

That it happened after 13 seconds doesn't make it lucky, it's skill and hard work.

At no time did McGregor engineer that opportunity, it had nothing to do with his skill as a masterful tactitian , he had nothing to do with Aldo being a hyped up clown and rushing headlong into a hook,which McGregor took well

At no time did McGregor engineer that opportunity, it had nothing to do with his skill as a masterful tactitian , he had nothing to do with Aldo being a hyped up clown and rushing headlong into a hook,which McGregor took well

Well sure you know best.

Well sure you know best.

And don't you forget it ;)

• Advertisement

Shall we draw a line under the McGregor v Aldo fight in here for the sake of our sanity and being as its Christmas,....... good will to all men...incl Leinster supporters :)

Reading up on it and it seems conor drew aldo to the punch. One leg kick to establish distance and he reckoned if he feinted then aldo would come in with a right cross leaving him exposed for a left to the chin. It seems like a game plan went exactly to plan!!
    I've no doubt conor did his homework on aldo but even he couldn't have hoped for a better outcome. Fair play to the lad.

Reading up on it and it seems conor drew aldo to the punch. One leg kick to establish distance and he reckoned if he feinted then aldo would come in with a right cross leaving him exposed for a left to the chin. It seems like a game plan went exactly to plan!!
    I've no doubt conor did his homework on aldo but even he couldn't have hoped for a better outcome. Fair play to the lad.

If that's the case then it's almost like he engineered the opportunity masterfully, knowing tactically how Aldo would respond and leading him straight into his hook. Only a hyped up clown would think it was chance.
    Shall we draw a line under the McGregor v Aldo fight in here for the sake of our sanity and being as its Christmas,....... good will to all men...incl Leinster supporters :)

Probably for the best.

Anyone here watching Season 2 of Fargo? Jumped the shark a bit last week imo!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You can't jump the shark 'a bit'. The
    UFO
    is maybe a bit silly or a bit symbolic but it does very little to detract from the plotting, pacing, acting and dialogue which have been sensational this year.

You can't jump the shark 'a bit'. The
    UFO
    is maybe a bit silly or a bit symbolic but it does very little to detract from the plotting, pacing, acting and dialogue which have been sensational this year.

Oh yeah - best TV this year, Kirsten Dunst has been unreal.

Lads... Rita Ora is unreal.

Unreal or just lucky to have an amazing body :D

Unreal or just lucky to have an amazing body :D

RITA1_2602311a.jpg

This is not even the most revealing thing she has worn this year. :)

On another note, One Direction are on stage now and it's a real cheesefest. Some dodgy vocals too! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bit late to the argument but if you see any of McGregor's other fights, you see that his punches are a different class to anybody else's in his weight class. He's hitting more like a middleweight but fighting as a featherweight, so when you get a lad like Aldo who's only 5'5 and a little over 60kg getting caught square in the chin, it's nothing to do with how skillful or talented the person taking the punch is. And Aldo hasn't found in over a year.

Look at Bernard Dunne or even Amir Khan, both have been knocked out in the first round by a solid connection.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement