Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Comments

Four showings of Star Wars for tomorrow in Dundrum in 2D, twenty seven showings in 3D... has the world gone mad. 3D sucks

Crappy 3D sucks. Good 3D like Gravity, Avatar etc., can really accentuate the movie experience.

I've no idea if Star Wars 3D is going to be good, but I think it's a fair bet it will. Am going to 3D Imax* on Friday in cineworld!

*not quite real IMAX I'm lead to believe.

Crappy 3D sucks. Good 3D like Gravity, Avatar etc., can really accentuate the movie experience.

I've no idea if Star Wars 3D is going to be good, but I think it's a fair bet it will. Am going to 3D Imax* on Friday in cineworld!

*not quite real IMAX I'm lead to believe.

I don't like that I'm effectively wearing sunglasses though. Maybe if they made it brighter to compensate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I'm not sold on 3D, never saw a good movie where I felt the 3D added to the experience. Gravity was a truly awful movie, despite its shiny effects. Wasn't overly enamoured with Avatar either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah my wife bought tickets months ago when they went on sale first for Friday. I thought "Great, now I don't need to bother". Just found out today she got the 3D one. She's obviously missed the fact that I've repeatedly said 3D is crap and IMO just a stupid gimmick. She is never allowed to give out to me for not getting hints about presents ever again.

Of course she still will.....

I don't like that I'm effectively wearing sunglasses though. Maybe if they made it brighter to compensate

Can't say I've ever noticed an issue with Brightness wearing them - however - I understand that the filters on the lenses can exaggerate existing disorders with sight. If for some reason things look duller wearing them you should maybe see an optician!

Come to the rugby forum, get webMD instead.

It's AIDS.

Can't say I've ever noticed an issue with Brightness wearing them - however - I understand that the filters on the lenses can exaggerate existing disorders with sight. If for some reason things look duller wearing them you should maybe see an optician!

Come to the rugby forum, get webMD instead.

It's AIDS.

I have one eye stronger than the other. Makes no difference day to day, but I can really tell the difference watching 3D.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I have one eye stronger than the other. Makes no difference day to day, but I can really tell the difference watching 3D.

Really? Jaysus that's mad. And it doesn't effect you in everyday reading?

Really? Jaysus that's mad. And it doesn't effect you in everyday reading?

No not at all. Why is there something funny about that line that I should be able to see?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

3d is especially stupid when you wear glasses anyway. Not only does it not work properly, you have to wear 2 pairs of specs!

Fwx3voB.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Fwx3voB.png

That's trolling done right! :D

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Has there ever been a 3D movie with sex scenes?

awec wrote: »
    Has there ever been a 3D movie with sex scenes?

Yeah I'd be interested in this as well. Not that I'm into that sort of thing, just so I can avoid it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭TeoReid

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I'm not sold on 3D, never saw a good movie where I felt the 3D added to the experience. Gravity was a truly awful movie, despite its shiny effects. Wasn't overly enamoured with Avatar either.

I saw Jackass 3D. It was awesome, you really got the full effect of the arse volcano

TeoReid wrote: »
    I saw Jackass 3D. It was awesome, you really got the full effect of the arse volcano

LOL. I'll probably use that term on Saturday morning after a gallon of Guinness the night before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭TeoReid

when that part of the movie came on there were initial doubts over what was happening, there was a close up and pretty difficult to figure out what it was. then this brown stuff starts shooting up into the air. the camera begins to pan out and you get the full picture... there was a guy bent in two, arse pointing in the air with this fabricated scenery placed on top of him, and he was letting rip through a volcano. must have been holding it in for a while because he got serious height on it.

however... it begins to disintegrate in mid air and being 3D bits start coming at you. audience reaction was hilarious

I believe most shots were filmed using 3D cameras. was worth it compared to movies that add it as an after effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

"And the Oscar in cinematography goes to....... the fcker who shot the arse volcano"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Starwars is great, apart from the bit where they visit Skellig Michael. It's great they filmed in Kerry and all, but it makes one of the most poignant parts of the movie feel like a discover Ireland ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

mfceiling wrote: »
    I've never watched a star wars film. Or any of the godfather trilogy. Or any James Bond movie before Daniel Craig. Or apocalypse now. Or the shining.

Wouldn't really be a film buff.

Nice try. But remember when we bumped into each other at that Iranian arthouse flick? You were sipping a glass of Prosecco, garnished with a single green olive, and eating those little tapenade on toasts. Wouldn't have recognised you except I never forget a silk necktie.

• Advertisement

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Nice try. But remember when we bumped into each other at that Iranian arthouse flick? You were sipping a glass of Prosecco, garnished with a single green olive, and eating those little tapenade on toasts. Wouldn't have recognised you except I never forget a silk necktie.

Quality, not quantity. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

swiwi_ wrote: »

That's me in a nutshell swiwi...any Iranian premiere showing and I'm there like swimwear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

errlloyd wrote: »
    Starwars is great, apart from the bit where they visit Skellig Michael. It's great they filmed in Kerry and all, but it makes one of the most poignant parts of the movie feel like a discover Ireland ad.

I saw this and honestly don't believe more than 1% of the people who watch this movie will even be aware it's Ireland!

Great movie, really enjoyed it, back to where it should be. Will say no more.

I saw this and honestly don't believe more than 1% of the people who watch this movie will even be aware it's Ireland!

Wife's mother has a holiday home in ballinskelligs which is the point where the boats head out to the skellig. Truly stunning part of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Do you mean more than 1% of the Irish people who watch it, or world wide? Cause I'm not suggesting it actually was a discover Ireland ad!

I just mean the way that scene worked out, in terms of the long panning shots, over saturated greens, and the sounds etc, felt more like an ad than a part of the film! I think it would look perfectly fine to a viewer who didn't see similar shots every ad break on Rte though :)

I visited the Skellgis this year, magical place. Absolutely stunning. And the culmination of that scene in the movie gave me a real shiver!

That film exceeded my expectations. Delighted with it.

• Advertisement

Going to see it tonight. I've never been more frustrated having to wait an extra 40 hours to watch a film before in my life! The wife thought she was being great months ago booking tickets for the opening night. Until I told her that Friday wasn't the opening night. If I see any spoilers here then, well insert Liam Neeson gif here.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If I see any spoilers here then, well insert Liam Neeson gif here.....

OK

tumblr_m4lhv4b9eG1qe2rrbo5_r1_250.gif

Before anyone who hasn't seen the prequels freaks out, that is not a spoiler for the new star wars film!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've actually seen more Iranian arthouse films than Star Wars films.

I'd probably watch Star Wars if Golshifteh Farahani was in it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I......am still a little drunk in work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

Podge_irl wrote: »

The best thing you could do right now is prove to everyone that you are absolutely not drunk. I suggest going up to your boss and explaining why you deserve a promotion

• Advertisement

Go up to one of the HR managers and admit that you gave one of the interns a "Brown Necktie". Enjoy the entertainment of her initial confusion, then resolve as she opens google, then absolute unrelenting disgust.

I really think you should do this, and report back here when you get home later this morning.

Going to see it tonight. I've never been more frustrated having to wait an extra 40 hours to watch a film before in my life! The wife thought she was being great months ago booking tickets for the opening night. Until I told her that Friday wasn't the opening night. If I see any spoilers here then, well insert Liam Neeson gif here.....

img_4438.jpg?w=620

Zzippy wrote: »
    img_4438.jpg?w=620

And I read it in Neesons voice too!

I woke up at 10am and the room was still spinning so just went back to sleep.

Might dander in to work around lunchtime for an hour, but that'll be it! :pac:

I woke up at 10am and the room was still spinning so just went back to sleep.

Might dander in to work around lunchtime for an hour, but that'll be it! :pac:

Read that in Neesons voice as well. What have you done Zzippy!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Fantasy league update: Dropped a WR to the bench that every single commentator I looked at said was a bust this week.

And of course he scores 19+ points after only scoring a handful the last couple of weeks.

:mad:

I've been having an absolute nightmare with WR's all year. They'r exceptionally hard to predict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Cheers Teferi! :D

I'm very worried about my running backs.

I got beaten by Buer last week, raging. It's hard cause I've only heard of like 2 guys in my squad, so I'm picking players purely based on their projected scores.

I got beaten by Buer last week, raging. It's hard cause I've only heard of like 2 guys in my squad, so I'm picking players purely based on their projected scores.

I heard that's what Neil Doak did...

Kodaline and Jess Glynne for Marlay Park next year. Hopefully I'll be one of the lucky ones who doesn't get a ticket...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

mfceiling wrote: »
    Kodaline and Jess Glynne for Marlay Park next year. Hopefully I'll be one of the lucky ones who doesn't get a ticket...

888.jpg

Heading to Christmas party. Ignore any posts from this username until midday tomorrow.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Heading to Christmas party. Ignore any posts from this username until midday tomorrow.

Liam Neeson again. You've created a monster Zzippy. Enjoy.

Liam Neeson again. You've created a monster Zzippy. Enjoy.

img_4438.jpg?w=620

Just saw Star Wars.

I love Star Wars, I have read most if not all of the cannon and non cannon books. I've played all the games. I've read a lot of fan fiction.

I liked the movie a lot, it felt very familiar.

Spoilers:
    It's the 4th best film so far. Lot of scenes taken right out of previous films. It looked amazing in 3D IMAX. If I had one complaint is that it was around 20 minutes long with a couple of scenes that were a bit contrived as character development vehicles and the ending was a bit rushed as a result. Overall it gets a B+. Really enjoyable. One part though I wish they had done differently, will discuss again, but it involved a bridge, and a sad end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

I'm taking the radio silence from Podge as a sign that he tried some or all of our suggestions from this morning and has spent his whole day being questioned by HR

b.gud wrote: »
    I'm taking the radio silence from Podge as a sign that he tried some or all of our suggestions from this morning and has spent his whole day being questioned by the Gardaí

FYP

Christmas shopping now complete. Dundrum surprisingly not too bad at the moment, no queues to get in or anything when I was leaving half an hour ago.

Town is madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Town is madness.

On the way in now, uhoh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement