Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Pearse Doherty isn't Northern, he's young, he's got no past links to the troubles, as far as I know. He is their spokesperson on finance though :eek:

Yup, that's what I meant. The only realistic challenger is another southerner.

The senior guys north of the border are lads like McGuinness (who's also going to retire soon) and Murphy...both convicted IRA members with links to serious crimes.

Ireland crying out for a socially liberal, economically prudent party.

If you value society and people over economy in Ireland, you must vote 'left'.
    If you value the economy at all, you must vote 'right'.

There is space for a party that presents realistic economic policies with realistic social benefits. Colm O'Gorman and Michael O'Leary to head it up :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

There is space for a party that presents realistic economic policies with realistic social benefits. Colm O'Gorman and Michael O'Leary to head it up :D

stephen-donnelly.jpg

Caption: "Honestly, why do keep people forgetting I exist."

errlloyd wrote: »

Caption: "Honestly, why do keep people forgetting I exist."

economically prudent!!!

You do realise that there are 2 other members of that party who would most definitely not fit that bill.

Donnelly was brilliant at the beginning of the last Dáil, but I felt he veered dangerously towards re-election politics at the end which was very disappointing.

There's a need for a strong opposition to hold the Government to account, and Donnelly was certainly a great voice from day 1 of the last tenure. The opposition to IW (but not Water Charges - important difference!) became an opposition to Water Charges, that's the step away from economic prudence that really hurt his credibility in the 'space' above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Didn't Colm O'Gorman run for the PDs once?

• Advertisement

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Didn't Colm O'Gorman run for the PDs once?

yup, but the PDs were a bad fit for him considering they weren't exactly supportive of same sex marriage!

Yes always thought was weird party for him to become involved in
    Always thought he'd be a good senator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yes always thought was weird party for him to become involved in
    Always thought he'd be a good senator

What is that? :pac:

I agree but I fear it would take multiple elections to build support for a party running to the right of some of these guys economically. The electorate in Ireland and prepared to think that way at the moment.

economically prudent!!!

You do realise that there are 2 other members of that party who would most definitely not fit that bill.

Donnelly was brilliant at the beginning of the last Dáil, but I felt he veered dangerously towards re-election politics at the end which was very disappointing.

There's a need for a strong opposition to hold the Government to account, and Donnelly was certainly a great voice from day 1 of the last tenure. The opposition to IW (but not Water Charges - important difference!) became an opposition to Water Charges, that's the step away from economic prudence that really hurt his credibility in the 'space' above.

I actually agree with you, and I was probably just pulling your leg a little with the post. (It was a good picture so I wanted to use it).

That said I think the party you are describing is the party Stephen Donnelly thinks his Social Democrats will become. He expects the people who join it to be far closer to his politics than to Shortall's, (for instance).

Something that will become far more politically likely when they do an analysis of their voters and realise they probably took more votes from the right than they did from the left, and were successful in traditionally wealthier areas.

I too was disappointed at how negative Donnelly became at the end. However, if this Dail does manage to sleep walk into another economic crisis it won't be because he isn't up there every week warning them that the financial world is more delicate in 2016 than it was in 2015 or 2014. I also think he is reasonably financially prudent.

The place I find myself in most agreement with the Soc Dems is education.
    • They ignored the student vote and focussed primarily on primary and seconary level students, which is where the greatest level of inequality exists in Irish education.
    • They promised to reduce fees to Dutch levels, which is obviously a compromise on the free education the rest of the left promised
    • They will increase funding to EU average levels.

They did all of this in measurable ways with 3 points.

20:1 student teacher ratio in primary by end of term.
    2k college fees by end of term (steadily decreased)
    EU average level uni funding by end of term (steadily increasing).

I like measurable goals, and I think they set those goals at reasonable levels.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Dunno now, I had some bloods taken last week and practice seems like a pretty accurate word for yer one doing it. It was like she was digging for gold in my poor arm. Still got a bruise around my elbow 2 weeks later.

Did anything else interesting happen next week?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Did anything else interesting happen next week?

Oh, I see....

Very clever.

If you want to get technical.... yesterday was Sunday. The weekend, still part of that week. So it was "last week" that I had my bloods done, and now we are into another week it is almost 2 weeks since. Perhaps I should have specified "nearly two weeks later".

I will give specific dates and times in all my stories from now on ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Eh, isn't Sunday the first day of the week?

dregin wrote: »

It's part of the weekend, hence it's the end of the week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Oh god, you're not one of those.

Default output of `cal`
    February 2016
    Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29

EUGH, apparently weeks starting with a Sunday is an American thing. I take it all back and will now go beat the imperialist out of me with a metre stick.

EUGH, apparently weeks starting with a Sunday is an American thing. I take it all back and will now go beat the imperialist out of me with a metre stick.

So what is a weekend for them? Friday night and Saturday? No wonder they're all nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

It seems to be a corporate thing in the US. Work weeks are Sunday to Saturday (at least for those companies I've done work for)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Shane Monahan whi was with Munster during the world cup has turned his back on rugby and is training to be a MMA fighter in Conor McGregor's gym
    :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I heard he was a black belt in Pa Shun Bai.

• Advertisement

Stunning.

Not bad, not bad at all ;)

That modship has served you well.

Please continue the fine work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Took me too long to get this...

Took me too long to get this...

No pashun back wesht you see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    No pashun back wesht you see!

We're more about the bró duil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Finally getting around to that Making a Murderer series, half-way through

1) I never believe anything anyone says
    2) The nephew is as thick as 2 planks, there is no way he could ever plan anything, and given the way he was interviewed, I think it is safe to assume much of what he said may not be credible
    3) The prosecuting lawyer is crap. The defence lawyers are good.
    4) I can easily believe the police could use the murder to their advantage. It is a big jump to suggest they were the brains behind it (which hasn't been stated). In a small town, it would be hard to keep multiple involved parties quiet on planting evidence.
    5) If Avery doesn't do it, clearly someone else does.

I feel the documentary doesn't at all delve enough into Stephen, a more rounded picture would make it easier to judge his character and also ability to bare-face lie. In fact (probably for time reasons), none of the characters are examined too deeply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I didn't need to watch it or learn anything about it because I remember when it happened and I know OJ did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I didn't need to watch it or learn anything about it because I remember when it happened and I know OJ did it.

But...but...the glove didn't fit! :eek:

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Zzippy wrote: »
    But...but...the glove didn't fit! :eek:

;)

I said the same when my wife told me she was pregnant :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

b.gud wrote: »
    In the past week at the gym I have seem an old guy wearing , trousers, a shirt, jumper and flat cap, and a hipster wearing a rain mac and tartan leggings doing workouts!
    I kinda hope this trend continues as it certainly makes trips to the gym more interesting

Rain Mac hipster is today sporting a lovely shirt and slacks combo, charity shop chic obviously.

However my internal laughing soon faded when I saw he was benching about 20 kg more than I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Rain Mac hipster is today sporting a lovely shirt and slacks combo, charity shop chic obviously.

However my internal laughing soon faded when I saw he was benching about 20 kg more than I would.

Do you even lift bro...

Look around for the hidden video camera. You're about to star in a viral video with your reaction to his "hilarious" antics... ;)

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So he was benching 21kg?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

awec wrote: »
    So he was benching 21kg?

Nah after a year I've gotten my 1 rep max up to 22 kg :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Nah after a year I've gotten my 1 rep max up to 22 kg :cool:

I could probably do 30 reps of 1kg. I think this means I win?

30 x 1 > 1 x 22.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Can someone explain to me why we voted against abolishing the gravy train known as Seanad Eireann?

Can someone explain to me why we voted against abolishing the gravy train known as Seanad Eireann?

Because having a second house is generally a good idea. Their outright refusal to reform it when that was clearly what people wanted was the problem.

I think people just generally get a kick voting against Enda Kenny.

On a serious note, the Seanad has potential but no one seems willing to reform it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Because having a second house is generally a good idea. Their outright refusal to reform it when that was clearly what people wanted was the problem.

I and a lot of people I know voted against abolishing the Seanad under the impression that if it stayed it was going to be reformed. How wrong we were.

Having 2 houses is a really good idea in any system, it just has to be done right.

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »
    I and a lot of people I know voted against abolishing the Seanad under the impression that if it stayed it was going to be reformed. How wrong we were.

BIt like the Scott voting to stay in the UK after Gordon Brown galloped up and promised them this that and the other thing. 18 months later they haven't gotten a damn thing bar the threat of being yanked out of Europe.

It is absolutely disgusting how only certain people get a vote for the Seanad imo
    David "What is wrong with elitism" Norris can fnck right off with regards this aspect to Seanad

BIt like the Scott voting to stay in the UK after Gordon Brown galloped up and promised them this that and the other thing. 18 months later they haven't gotten a damn thing bar the threat of being yanked out of Europe.

If the UK does vote to leave, while the Scots vote to stay in, that might be the nudge to get them over the line with another referendum. A vivid illustration of how powerful England is over their 4 million or so would be a big incentive to many who voted against independence before to change their minds.
    It is absolutely disgusting how only certain people get a vote for the Seanad imo
    David "What is wrong with elitism" Norris can fnck right off with regards this aspect to Seanad

I say, bloody peasants and their jumped up ideas - one man one vote, how ridiculous old chum! And as for these muck savage county councillors electing more plebs to our beloved Senate, the horror!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I totally disagree. The Seanad should be full of people who (at least in theory) should know what they are doing.

Popular vote might mean no potholes in Kerry, but would I trust a Healy-Rae to understand or even care about the finer points of policy and the law?

There is no way you can trust Joe Public to put the right sort of people into a 2nd house.

What it does need though is a system that appoints people on merit not for political favours.

Pointless to have a second house elected the same way as the first. Though the Taoiseach's picks are a joke and used far too often to just reward colleagues or friends.

Pointless to have a second house elected the same way as the first. Though the Taoiseach's picks are a joke and used far too often to just reward colleagues or friends.

In theory they could be the most useful part of the Seanad.

He make two ministerial appointments from the Seanad and the Ceann Comhairle. So he could theoretically just go ahead right now and make BOD Minister for Sport.

errlloyd wrote: »
    In theory they could be the most useful part of the Seanad.

He make two ministerial appointments from the Seanad and the Ceann Comhairle. So he could theoretically just go ahead right now and make BOD Minister for Sport.

Could be sure. They reached their nadir when Bertie appointed that journalist who was nice to him and didn't look into his rampant corruption.

I'm sure the original plan was for precisely the kind of thing you suggest - bringing in expertise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

A reformed Seanad would be a better option than an abolished Seanad, for me. I can understand the arguments for abolishment though.

Could be sure. They reached their nadir when Bertie appointed that journalist who was nice to him and didn't look into his rampant corruption.

I'm sure the original plan was for precisely the kind of thing you suggest - bringing in expertise.

Garret Fitzgerald used it to appoint Jim Dooge as Minister for Foreign Affairs back in the day. Which is basically THE case study on how the appointees can be used correctly.

I think the nadir was actually when Enda Kenny got a FG councillor onto the board of IMMA for like a day so he could be appointed to the arts panel of the Seanad. Complete abuse of the State boards appointment system and of the Seanad. Given his campaign to abolish the Seanad, it really showed the disregard he has for the upper house.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement