Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Excluding Mayweather-Pac, last night is reportedly the biggest combat sport event (in terms of sales) since 2013. Pretty big accomplishment for them.

What are the other big combat sport events since 2013? Have there been many with mass market appeal?

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I guess he'll cut back down to feather weight and continue to beat guys who are all much smaller than him again now.

Always found his pantomime act to be grating, hopefully that'll be shelved now at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Scythica

He isn't a natural featherweight right? So was moving up to 170 his more natural position or in reality is he more of a 155 and overstretched?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

170 is his normal weight. It's not his fighting weight at all.

He was undone by his arrogance. That sort of jump was going to be far harder than made out. He went from fighting guys the same height as him to facing a 6ft guy last night who was well used to being hit by guys stronger than McGregor.

Buer wrote: »
    170 is his normal weight. It's not his fighting weight at all.

He was undone by his arrogance. That sort of jump was going to be far harder than made out. He went from fighting guys the same height as him to facing a 6ft guy last night who was well used to being hit by guys stronger than McGregor.

I know he was bloodied but Diaz never really looking in trouble from the shots McGregor landed. Diaz then really wobbled McGregor when he landed his shots and that was the end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

It was a stupid fight, if I or any boxer tried to do that, without going up the weights naturally, the fight wouldn't have been allowed happen.
    Tis daft

I know he was bloodied but Diaz never really looking in trouble from the shots McGregor landed. Diaz then really wobbled McGregor when he landed his shots and that was the end of it.

McGregor was hurting Diaz, just not enough. I thought McGregor was over confident personally. He was throwing wild kicks and moving around the ring a lot. I don't doubt he could last the pace, but I think he needed to be a bit more conservative and he was relying on his evasiveness without actually guarding himself that well against a taller boxer.

Good few times in the first round I thought he was in control only for him to get clipped because he wasn't accounting for nor expecting Diaz to counter when he'd gotten some punishment.

McGregor looked very much on top until around 90 seconds into the second when he got absolutely rocked by a double left. Fight was effectively over from there, McGregor never recovered from the daze.

On a separate note, anyone watching House of Cards?

Am on episode 5:
    Thought it turgidly picked up where the disappointing season 3 finished off. But a couple of episodes in it turns on it's head and really gets going. Excited to see where things go.

McGregor was hurting Diaz, just not enough. I thought McGregor was over confident personally. He was throwing wild kicks and moving around the ring a lot. I don't doubt he could last the pace, but I think he needed to be a bit more conservative and he was relying on his evasiveness without actually guarding himself that well against a taller boxer.

Good few times in the first round I thought he was in control only for him to get clipped because he wasn't accounting for nor expecting Diaz to counter when he'd gotten some punishment.

McGregor looked very much on top until around 90 seconds into the second when he got absolutely rocked by a double left. Fight was effectively over from there, McGregor never recovered from the daze.

I dunno. Don't watch the sport but watched this fight this morning and I wouldn't say he was hurting Diaz. Diaz seemed well in control and happy for McGregor to tire himself out. Don't think McGregor has enough beef to do damage to these guys. Diaz i assume is used to taking punches from much more powerful guys than McGregor too.

What's Diaz record like btw?

awec wrote: »
    I dunno. Don't watch the sport but watched this fight this morning and I wouldn't say he was hurting Diaz. Diaz seemed well in control and happy for McGregor to tire himself out. Don't think McGregor has enough beef to do damage to these guys. Diaz i assume is used to taking punches from much more powerful guys than McGregor too.

What's Diaz record like btw?

Diaz has lost a good few fights, but he normally loses on points, he has never been properly knocked out and only TKO'd once.

Bolded - McGregor basically said this exact thing after the fight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

At least McGregor was humble enough in defeat. Not humble enough to not call himself humble in defeat, but still...

At least McGregor was humble enough in defeat. Not humble enough to not call himself humble in defeat, but still...

He never gloats after his fights.

Everything he says before a fight is designed to sell PPV and generate publicity for the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I guess he'll cut back down to feather weight and continue to beat guys who are all much smaller than him again now.

Always found his pantomime act to be grating, hopefully that'll be shelved now at least.

He cuts a lot of weight but he isn't as enormous for featherweight as people make out, Poirier and Holloway were both as big or bigger than him and he outclassed both of them, and there would be many fighters in the division taller than him.

Don't suppose anyone is watching the Kerry v Donegal game? A football match keeps interrupting the wrestling. 2 red cards, 2 black, and it's not even half time.

Cc347VuXIAAve17.jpg
    Cc348jQXEAARZHz.jpg

Tox56 wrote: »
    He cuts a lot of weight but he isn't as enormous for featherweight as people make out, Poirier and Holloway were both as big or bigger than him and he outclassed both of them, and there would be many fighters in the division taller than him.

I assume he'll cut back down to 145 for his next fight though to reduce the risk of two losses in a row as much as possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I assume he'll cut back down to 145 for his next fight though to reduce the risk of two losses in a row as much as possible?

He will probably have to defend his 145 belt next anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Be against Edgar or Aldo ye think

If he drops to 145 he's fighting either Edgar or Aldo. He'll have the size advantage but he's fighting the absolute best in the world, if his options are that vs vacating the 145 belt and taking a mid tier fighter at 155, the latter is probably better from the 'avoid 2 losses in a row' perspective. It also seems like he's done with the whole extreme cut thing

McGregor could easily lose to Aldo yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I am a complete and utter McGregor fanboy. The man can do no wrong in my eyes.

Hagz wrote: »

I haven't really got an opinion one way or the other but this does make him seem hilarious.

Hagz wrote: »

I think he's a mouthpiece. :D

Does he still think he could beat Mayweather in boxing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I know what fight I want to see next. McGregor vs. all those people in that video. Jesus wept.

In fairness it's an MMA fight he said he'd beat Mayweather in, he actually said Mayweather is unbeatable in boxing, but he'd fight him anyway. It will never happen in a million years of course

He is a mouthpiece, it has made him a millionaire.

There are plenty of really really good UFC fighters that won't make as much money in their entire careers compared to what he's done in 3 years.

He plays 'the fight game' to perfection. Media whore that backs it up (I don't think he 'didn't back it up' vs Diaz, he swung and missed though). He's basically taking WWE tactics to the UFC to drum up more attention, more sales, more money.

If saying he'd beat Mayweather in Boxing adds another $100k to his paycheque, he'd be mental not to say it! Words are cheap, why not sell them for silly money!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Don't ya just love that feeling you get when you finish work and don't have to go back for 5 weeks.... :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Zzippy wrote: »
    Don't ya just love that feeling you get when you finish work and don't have to go back for 5 weeks.... :cool:

Enjoy the break!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Well, I finished Making a Murderer, and it was crap. Tedious by the end. Good TV, but from an objective, thorough, logical, coherent, scientific point of view - just crap. If I had to listen to any more of the dreary Avery family members, I'd go mad.

This guy has gone to some effort to present the other side of the story.

http://www.newstalk1130.com/onair/common-sense-central-37717/rebutting-a-murderer-episode-1-14260554/

All I'll say is that an incorrect rape conviction does not equal a thoroughly upstanding citizen, angel-like, who would be a saint in another life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Well, I finished Making a Murderer, and it was crap. Tedious by the end. Good TV, but from an objective, thorough, logical, coherent, scientific point of view - just crap. If I had to listen to any more of the dreary Avery family members, I'd go mad.

http://www.newstalk1130.com/onair/common-sense-central-37717/rebutting-a-murderer-episode-1-14260554/

All I'll say is that an incorrect rape conviction does not equal a thoroughly upstanding citizen, angel-like, who would be a saint in another life.

No one comes out of it looking good. He's probably guilty, the policy are probably corrupt, the judge was an arse. Just makes me glad I'm not American.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭TeoReid

can anyone recommend a car rental place at Dublin airport?

• Advertisement

TeoReid wrote: »

Never had to rent a car from Dublin airport but I always use Hertz when I fly to Glasgow. Never had any trouble with them.

Although one time they did give us one of these weird looking machines...

20366521102.jpg

Do you remember I said three weeks ago that I was going to attempt a half marathon in three weeks? Well it's tomorrow... I will get over the line. The run starts at 10am and the matches starts at 13:30am. So as long as I'm finished within three and a half hours.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

swiwi_ wrote: »

I felt the same by the end. They're making a second series!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

dregin wrote: »
    I felt the same by the end. They're making a second series!

Which I'll skip.

I'm listening to "Serial" on the way to work, at least it's balanced, and I'll probably take Greta Massive Saliva up on The Jinx.

I think the second series is about a different case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'm watching Nathan for You at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Do you remember I said three weeks ago that I was going to attempt a half marathon in three weeks? Well it's tomorrow... I will get over the line. The run starts at 10am and the matches starts at 13:30am. So as long as I'm finished within three and a half hours.

Good luck! Did you do any training in the end?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

TeoReid wrote: »

I find Dooleys great to deal with, I've rented from them ten or more times the past couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Good luck. I'll be getting up at about 10am to cook a fry up before heading to the pub.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Good luck. I'll be getting up at about 10am to cook a fry up before heading to the pub.

^ New Zealander pretends they don't get up at 4am every weekend morning during super rugby season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

^ New Zealander pretends they don't get up at 4am every weekend morning during super rugby season.

I'll wake up for them but watch them in bed :D

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I'll wake up for them but watch them in bed :D

I imagine you just have the sound of SH rugby playing through all the halls in your house to help you relax, like:

eFdWtHA.gif

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm watching Nathan for You at the moment

I love that show!

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Scythica

Tucker and Dale vs Evil. Hilarious film forgot how much I liked it.

Also on Prime, Lucifer is pretty good. Vikings is immense and Black Sails is... still watchable.

Netflix - House of Cards!!!! New season such a big fan again. And still Californication :D

(I've been working away with work so literally beasted out so much tv... and Rome Total War)

Scythica wrote: »
    Tucker and Dale vs Evil. Hilarious film forgot how much I liked it.

Also on Prime, Lucifer is pretty good. Vikings is immense and Black Sails is... still watchable.

Netflix - House of Cards!!!! New season such a big fan again. And still Californication :D

(I've been working away with work so literally beasted out so much tv... and Rome Total War)

hm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Tucker and Dale is gas. Must watch it again soon

I know people say Heroin is very addictive. But clearly these people have never had pistachio nuts.

I know people say Heroin is very addictive. But clearly these people have never had pistachio nuts.

You holdin?

The person who came up with Pringles' catch phrase was actually eating pistachio nuts at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Was this the one in Tralee?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement