Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

awec wrote: »
    We're not fussed on a band, my family wouldn't give a feck and hers would dance to a man banging a tin bath so think it's probably unnecessary. Leaning toward no band at all and going with our DJ all night.

I'll give you a special rate...

... Your family are all into techno, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Got told something very funny about my hol in Budapest, but I can't repeat what I did as it's racist as fck

Anyone planning on going to Burning Man? Missed out on the ticket sale this evening. :( It's so bloody random.

.ak wrote: »

They should just forget the church and have it in a place that means so much to either or both the bride and groom. If it's the bride I suggest KFC, if it's awec, The George is his normal haunt.
    Farls and harp at the reception, he'll be happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

What do you think of no band? People keep telling us no band is relatively common now, and we've got a good DJ who can do the whole night.

I think it's your day and you should 100% do whatever you want!

I'd take into consideration the crowd that will be attending. Will they need coaxing to get up on the dancefloor and are you bothered if the floor is a bit quiet?

I've been to 25-30 weddings in the past 4 years and I've seen loads of people p*ss away money on bands given they bride and groom themselves had no interest. I've also seen some weddings where the band made the evening. Simply depends on the couple and the crowd.

If I could do it all again, I'd spend less (and we didn't break the bank to begin with) and spend that money on a few extra luxuries on the honeymoon.

EDIT: Anyway, don't be worrying about the music....it's the speech you're going to f*ck up. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Anyone able to recommend any wedding videographers? This task has been delegated to me! :pac:

For the cost of a few drinks and a feed, you could probably get a few of the lads on here to film it on their phones. No doubt there's some editing software you can get cheap or free to put all together later. Sorted.

Ok, a lot of drinks.

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    They should just forget the church and have it in a place that means so much to either or both the bride and groom. If it's the bride I suggest KFC, if it's awec, The George is his normal haunt.
    Farls and harp at the reception, he'll be happy out

Wouldn't be the first time I've dj'd in the George....

Wouldn't be the first time I've dj'd in the George....

"bj'd" you meant?

Buer wrote: »
    I think it's your day and you should 100% do whatever you want!

Correct! :pac:
    I'd take into consideration the crowd..

Erroneous! :mad:

• Advertisement

"bj'd" you meant?

Whatevs. When in Rome!

Got told something very funny about my hol in Budapest, but I can't repeat what I did as it's racist as fck

The mods say it's fine and Father Jack forgives you. Tell us.

Everyone knows a guy that brings an acoustic guitar to every party he goes to, just invite that guy to play at the wedding. That's the Band cash saved.

If you get onto Snapchat and get a very specific geo-filter setup for the wedding it might only cost you <€200. Simply ask all guests to save their stories, and you're sorted.

Alternatively, don't get married and save the cash that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Oul ones always love a band and a good band will get everyone up dancing. We had "boogie nights" and they were very good. I wanted "the bootleg beatles" but they wouldn't commit to the date incase a festival came up (even a full payment up front wouldn't swing them).

Dj was a tosser. I had 4 cds of music made up in advance - everything from the stone roses to the smiths, oasis, blur etc...basically the music of our younger days and our friends. No he decided to play things like the rave version of the fields of athenry and just general pop of the day crap.

I was too busy boozing and schmoozing to bother giving out to him but it was bad form from him.

I reckon awec is going to be on here steady for the next few months!! No pressure big man!!

The Bootleg Beatles are worth seeing in their own right. Absolutely excellent group.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ha!

We're going to see a band on Saturday night, we've decided unless they blow us away we're calling it quits on a band.

Our DJ is good, he's a friend of hers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

I think they're more of a gabba music family :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Last wedding I went to was a cracking day until the band started....C&W and the first song before the couples dance was Wagon Wheel

They're mad for C&W up North. Can't jive to anything else.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They're mad for C&W up North. Can't jive to anything else.

I once stayed in a dry hotel up north :(

Stheno wrote: »

Was there still jiving though?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Was there still jiving though?

NO we were all in bed by eleven, it was a desperate place.

Think it was near Craigavon :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

mfceiling wrote: »
    Oul ones always love a band and a good band will get everyone up dancing. We had "boogie nights" and they were very good. I wanted "the bootleg beatles" but they wouldn't commit to the date incase a festival came up (even a full payment up front wouldn't swing them).

Dj was a tosser. I had 4 cds of music made up in advance - everything from the stone roses to the smiths, oasis, blur etc...basically the music of our younger days and our friends. No he decided to play things like the rave version of the fields of athenry and just general pop of the day crap.

I was too busy boozing and schmoozing to bother giving out to him but it was bad form from him.

I reckon awec is going to be on here steady for the next few months!! No pressure big man!!

Why would you hire a DJ and give him CDs to play? Seems like a complete waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Don't start me on wedding stuff. 'Hair cut? €5. Wait, wedding haircut?? €50 cheers!'

Half the time I swear it's just for the additional pressure on them to deliver something half-decent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Why would you hire a DJ and give him CDs to play? Seems like a complete waste of money.

It made sense at the time!! He had all the gear - cd changers, amps, speakers etc but I wanted to make sure the music was good.
    I was at one wedding before in Mayo and the dj just played everything from Nirvana to The Cure. It was brilliant!! No oul fuddy duddy C+W or generic pop music. All the people of the ages of the bride and groom never left the dancefloor!!

Stheno wrote: »

Drove through a 'Dry County' in Kentucky before.

I could feel my skin crawl.

Drove through a 'Dry County' in Kentucky before.

I could feel my skin crawl.

Was it called Bourbon County? I think Jim Beam's distillery is actually in a dry county.

Big Bang theory is the worstest. Anyone who thinks it's funny needs to go evaluate themselves.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm pretty sure jaco only watches it for yer ones baps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

The Big Bang Theory is completely vanilla, it's neither good or bad, it just is. I'll happily have it on in the background if I'm surfing or something like that.

I've always thought that people who actively dislike it probably see a little too much of themselves in the caricatures displayed...

You're all autists, basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Worth it.

Yeah big bang theory is gash. Tried to watch it once or twice and don't get what the fuss is about.

• Advertisement

Teferi wrote: »
    The Big Bang Theory is completely vanilla, it's neither good or bad, it just is. I'll happily have it on in the background if I'm surfing or something like that.

I've always thought that people who actively dislike it probably see a little too much of themselves in the caricatures displayed...

and?

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Scythica

That's quite impressive, did you buy a mount for your tablet on the board or something?

Completely. I'm an absolute nerd, and they don't represent that correctly. I'm outraged.

Hahah. Teferi still surfs teh worldl wied webb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Hahah. Teferi still surfs teh worldl wied webb

<laugh track>

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Completely. I'm an absolute nerd, and they don't represent that correctly. I'm outraged.

As I mentioned on the other thread, I studied theoretical physics for a large number of years in several places. The characters are crude stereotypes of what people think these people are like in my experience. I understand the concept of exaggerating and stereotyping in a comedy but it really did bug me for a long time.

Most highly successful physicists are the same as highly successful people in other fields. They're annoying good at everything, including getting along with people (it's actually incredibly important these days).

Now mathematicians...those ****ers are weird.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    As I mentioned on the other thread, I studied theoretical physics for a large number of years in several places. The characters are crude stereotypes of what people think these people are like in my experience. I understand the concept of exaggerating and stereotyping in a comedy but it really did bug me for a long time.

Most highly successful physicists are the same as highly successful people in other fields. They're annoying good at everything, including getting along with people (it's actually incredibly important these days).

Now mathematicians...those ****ers are weird.

50289_125793310765092_6400519_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Adam Johnson the ex Sunderland football player sentenced to 6 years. What an absolute wally

I see New Zealand has voted to keep it's flag as is.

Shame, some of the new designs were pretty cool.

This one, for example.

2B3F9FF500000578-3192358-image-a-8_1439222645330.jpg

• Advertisement

What a great big waste of time

What a great big waste of time

Waste of money, more like.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Waste of money, more like.

Ah $15M is ultimately peanuts to a government. I'd be more concerned that the whole thing was a bit of a jumbled mess. And the shortlist was rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ah $15M is ultimately peanuts to a government. I'd be more concerned that the whole thing was a bit of a jumbled mess. And the shortlist was rubbish.

Yeah this would be my concern. I think there were lots of reasons why NZ would want to change flag, but I think they made a hash of the process and there won't be an appetite to do it again for another 20 years.

I thought there was a few decent ones on the long list.

I preferred this one to the one they went with but when it was mocked up it was navy blue instead of black.

2181-kyle-lockwood-silver-fern-nz-flag-final-cr-15.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Speaking of TV: I was watching a show called Lilyhammer the othe day. It's about a New York mobster who asks to be placed in witness protection in Lillehammer, Norway because he remembers seeing it on TV during the '94 Winter Olympics and thinking it looked like a nice place.

Decent show, but there's a scene where they were in a bar in this small town in Norway having a drink and I had to do a double take because something in the background caught my eye.

Bqf6nlW.jpg?1

• Advertisement

Would you not call em farls or potao cakes up north?....theres a "I wouldn't mind spreading my butter on Penny's farls" joke in there somewhere

I once worked in a place where the crm system was called baps

Hired a Russian girl to work for me....bad mistake, she's a bit of a lookalike for Angelina Jolie in the face and lips dept and a lot of the lads in the service area are spending too much time out gawping at her :)

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Scythica

Hired a Russian girl to work for me....bad mistake, she's a bit of a lookalike for Angelina Jolie in the face and lips dept and a lot of the lads in the service area are spending too much time out gawping at her :)

And on a completely unrelated note, where dya work??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Scythica wrote: »
    And on a completely unrelated note, where dya work??

Indeed, rather lacking in the info there :P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement