Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    True enough, but even training tops at open days would be a start. I genuinely think this is something that could be done...

Is the Irish education system in need of such a thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

My daughter is 8, she reads at a 12yo level, she does math at a 6yo level, she likes grumpy (rugby) I'd say yes, every little bit helps, what does it cost? A few letters on the back of a shirt...imagine the good will from the public, nobody, but nobody would be against this imo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I have no idea how much it would help but the level of maths across the board in Ireland is shockingly bad.

Got home from holiday this weekend and was meant to be moving into a new apartment. The place needed some work (paint, plaster, carpets, cleaning, etc), which was meant to be done while we were away.

None of it is finished and the place is uninhabitable :(

I've had to move back into my mother's house sleeping on a sofa bed. My belongings are split between about 3 locations and I barely know what is where.

To say this is an inconvenience is putting it mildly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Got home from holiday this weekend and was meant to be moving into a new apartment. The place needed some work (paint, plaster, carpets, cleaning, etc), which was meant to be done while we were away.

I've had to move back into my mother's house sleeping on a sofa bed. My belongings are split between about 3 locations and I barely know what is where.

That sucks, hope it gets sorted soon

• Advertisement

Ouch, sorry to hear that, .....your poor mum!
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Yeah kerry is lovely and everything but jaysus I can't wait to get back to dublin where I can get 4G on my phone, a decent takeaway coffee and coherent accents.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Yeah kerry is lovely and everything but jaysus I can't wait to get back to dublin where I can get 4G on my phone, a decent takeaway coffee and coherent accents.

Depends on what part of Dublin you're in.

The leafy enclaves of d6 obviously.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

How'd you make your bacon farls in the end?

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    How'd you make your bacon farls in the end?

I toasted the inside lightly and smeared generously with Kerrygold.

They were alright but unfortunately I was stuck with Rankin farls and the rashers weren't great either. Definitely has potential though and I will try again. Maybe go to the butchers for the rashers and keep an eye out for a better brand of farl.

Strangely enough Irwin's make the Rankin stuff but they're obviously made differently to their own ones which are much nicer.

Did you not understand us? :):)

3fe is closed today Jamie :pac:

Sorry?

3fe is closed today Jamie :pac:

Not to worry. I'm in bunsen waiting to see if the hype is justified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Not to worry. I'm in bunsen waiting to see if the hype is justified.

Still haven't been but my mates never shut up about the place, will have to get in on my next trip home.

Only joking!! Mind you I did meet an oul lad in the pub in Waterville last night. Absolutely blotto he was. A lot of smiling and nodding by me.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Still haven't been but my mates never shut up about the place, will have to get in on my next trip home.

It was nice. Not "holy shìt balls I've never tasted anything like this before"

I'll be honest - I've had nicer from the lad on the side of the road that the truckers frequent. There's one at home in Tyrone and he is deadly. Big slab of beef, floury bap and a mountain of raw onions. All for the princely sum of 3 quid!!

A lot of smiling and nodding by me.

Probably the same from him :);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Bray, Box Burger. Very good.

Put it this way. I am not one of those people who live locally and can't stop raving about the one half decent place near my house. I don't live in bray at all. I drive to Box Burger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It was nice. Not "holy shìt balls I've never tasted anything like this before"

I'll be honest - I've had nicer from the lad on the side of the road that the truckers frequent. There's one at home in Tyrone and he is deadly. Big slab of beef, floury bap and a mountain of raw onions. All for the princely sum of 3 quid!!

Bunsen is good but people go way overboard on it. It's no frills and tasty but not going to stand out hugely in my memory.

I find a number of the newer hipster type places are quite overrated with Joburger being the worst offender by some distance. Savagely overrated the two times I've gone. "Can I've a coke?"...."We don't do coke but you can select from one of our home made lemonades that we serve in jam jars."

F*ck right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I imagine if someone from another part of the world was sitting listening to a conversation between someone from Kerry and Tyrone, they'd be trying to fathom how on earth these two people are from the same island.

I was in the states with a mate from Tallaght (I'm a D4 head) and people were absolutely astonished to learn there were around 6 miles between where we grew up.

Buer wrote: »
    I imagine if someone from another part of the world was sitting listening to a conversation between someone from Kerry and Tyrone, they'd be trying to fathom how on earth these two people are from the same island.
    I was in the states with a mate from Tallaght (I'm a D4 head) and people were absolutely astonished to learn there were around 6 miles between where we grew up.

The explanation for these things is very simple but I suppose if you're not familiar with the ins and outs of Irish history it would seem pretty weird.

Buer wrote: »

And my missus is a bogger from laois. Great nights sport...

And my missus is s bigger from laois. Great nights sport...

You mean bogger? Does she have the laois accent?

You mean bogger? Does she have the laois accent?

There a clip of her on the rte player if her useless husband ever throws it up for us!

There a clip of her on the rte player if her useless husband ever throws it up for us!

I'm from Laois too but rid myself of the accent :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Stheno unlaoised.

• Advertisement

She rid herself of hers as well!! Are you guys embarrassed of your bogger accent when you hit dublin!!

I'm actually incredibly useless!! It's Sunday 20th March, highlights of the paddy's day parade and it's just past 13 and a half minutes...anyone any good at that carry on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

boardsposter.png

Is this you?

boardsposter.png

Is this you?

No!! There's me and the missus and the 3 little ones. Sinead Kennedy then bursts into the middle of us.

No!! There's me and the missus and the 3 little ones. Sinead Kennedy then bursts into the middle of us.

He looked a bit Nordie so i assumed :D

boardsposter.png

Is this you?

Too skinny

• Advertisement

boardsposter.png

boardsposter.png

Is that your misses there with the glasses?

boardsposter.png

Well done journeyman!! I know, I know....punching well above my weight!!

I am procrastinating so hard its sickening, so no problem!

Your little ones got a bit of TV exposure too.... Thought you'd be fatter :):)

• Advertisement

Your little ones got a bit of TV exposure too.... Thought you'd be fatter :):)

Thanks...I think!! The camera adds 10 pounds they say...result!!

Thanks...I think!! The camera adds 10 pounds they say...result!!

Twenty man, TWENTY!!

Back to the crisp cupboard you go :D

Is your missus the gray blond one? IF so I want to know her hairdresser :)

She rid herself of hers as well!! Are you guys embarrassed of your bogger accent when you hit dublin!!

Yes, it's a horrible accent.

And I see that the gray blonde one is the presenter :(

ANy of you guys on here ever gotten "mallet or baseball finger?" It's basically where the uppermost tip of your finger is permanently bent due to tendon damage?

Twenty man, TWENTY!!

Back to the crisp cupboard you go :D

Is your missus the gray blond one? IF so I want to know her hairdresser :)

That's Sinead Kennedy from rte....does the lotto with Marty Whelan. I have to say she is a lovely girl...really down to earth and great with the little ones.

And very pretty!!

That's Sinead Kennedy from rte....does the lotto with Marty Whelan. I have to say she is a lovely girl...really down to earth and great with the little ones.

And very pretty!!

Shame about the accent.

Have you ever caught up on a thread that you haven't looked at for a day or 2 and spot that an account has been closed.... And just smile to your very core :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Wondering if any of you guys in the pale, the real capital or potato farls territory might be able to help. I'm doing a clear out of my records and am looking for shops that might be interested in buying them off me.
    There's a lot of them, about 500 with a roughly 50/50 split of 7 and 12 inch records, so hoping to get a buyer that will take the lot rather than split them up. If you know any record shops around your way I'd appreciate some names. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

b.gud wrote: »
    Wondering if any of you guys in the pale, the real capital or potato farls territory might be able to help. I'm doing a clear out of my records and am looking for shops that might be interested in buying them off me.
    There's a lot of them, about 500 with a roughly 50/50 split of 7 and 12 inch records, so hoping to get a buyer that will take the lot rather than split them up. If you know any record shops around your way I'd appreciate some names. Thanks

You should put it in a big black box with a question mark on it and sell it on ebay as a mystery box. People love that stuff. Maybe JJ Abrams will buy it:
    http://6thfloor.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/02/whats-in-j-j-abramss-mystery-box/?_r=0

You should put it in a big black box with a question mark on it and sell it on ebay as a mystery box. People love that stuff. Maybe JJ Abrams will buy it:
    http://6thfloor.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/02/whats-in-j-j-abramss-mystery-box/?_r=0

new plan, does anyone here have JJ Abrams contact details? :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement