Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't understand any of those sentences, I assume it's Ulster Scots

He is mocking the fact I am not a hairy bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

awec wrote: »
    He is mocking the fact I am not a hairy bastard.

A nordie Duncan Goodhew in fact

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    A nordie Duncan Goodhew in fact

I'm not bald, or even balding. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm not bald, or even balding. :mad:

I'm getting so tall that I'm starting to grow out of the top of my hair...

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Scythica

Wet shaving, ugh. I had to do that when I was in the states before christmas (first time in years) cause I forgot my shaver and I forgot how awful it feels after. Can't be bothered with it, too much hard work.

I was in a remote part of Sri Lanka for a few months with only a straight cutthroat razor. I therefore grew the biggest goatee i could manage to avoid wet shaving anything that wasnt cheek.

Scythica wrote: »
    I was in a remote part of Sri Lanka for a few months with only a straight cutthroat razor. I therefore grew the biggest goatee i could manage to avoid wet shaving anything that wasnt cheek.

I always thought you were a female poster :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The Panama Papers...potentially bigger than Snowden and Wikileaks. Will be interesting to see what emerges from it. A number of world leaders looking on very dodgy ground with Putin the highest profile although he'll probably face no sanction.

2.6TB of documents...a scary amount of evidence.

I always thought you were a female poster :eek:

I did wonder why you always liked my posts... :pac:

Afraid to burst the bubble..! This isn't a online game where pretending to be a female gets you free stuff so I'll quench those rumours right now.

Typical Norn Iron bloke living in England and have more fadge and taytos in my suitcase for the flight back tomorrow than clothes

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I did wonder why you always liked my posts... :pac:

Wow is that flirting Fairy style?

Stheno wrote: »
    Wow is that flirting Fairy style?

Must be :P

Nah just taking the piss about that part, went to try and do that 'see who's liked you the most' but can't remember how anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Buer wrote: »
    The Panama Papers...potentially bigger than Snowden and Wikileaks. Will be interesting to see what emerges from it. A number of world leaders looking on very dodgy ground with Putin the highest profile although he'll probably face no sanction.

As far as I understand it it's just proof of rich people dodging taxes, right? Or is it worse than that?

If it's the former, I can't imagine it will hold the public interest too long. I reckon everyone just assumes that businessman, athletes, politicians etc. are dodging taxes anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

400 journalists from over 100 media organisations have been researching it for 12 months. And not a peep.

Quality work.

Iceland is not going to be a pleasant place tomorrow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Nah just taking the piss about that part, went to try and do that 'see who's liked you the most' but can't remember how anymore!

http://www.boards.ie/love.php?match=hot

.ak is at the top of everyone's list because he is a thanks whore.

Teferi wrote: »
    As far as I understand it it's just proof of rich people dodging taxes, right? Or is it worse than that?

If it's the former, I can't imagine it will hold the public interest too long. I reckon everyone just assumes that businessman, athletes, politicians etc. are dodging taxes anyway.

Rumous say there's a lot more in there, like further evidence of previous scandals and also some information going back to more disturbing things like sex trafficking and worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6XnH_OnpO0

A video from the ICIJ on this. Not very pleasant, warning in advance.

I've removed the embedding because its pretty distressing.

Some of it. A lot of the money is ill gotten. Corrupt money being hidden by leaders who have come by the funds through felonious activity or, at the very least, dubious means.

12 current world leaders have been identified so far. One of them is the President of Iceland who came to power following the collapse of their economy and was seen as the man to steer the country back to health through transparency. A lot of middle eastern leaders have been named. Unsurprisingly, Putin seems to be as corrupt as the day is long.

It remains to be seen exactly what impact it will have and how illegal the activity involved is. I would expect a couple of heads of state to fall on their own swords in the fall out, however.

Rumous say there's a lot more in there, like further evidence of previous scandals and also some information going back to more disturbing things like sex trafficking and worse.

Ah okay. The tax stuff would be quickly swept under the carpet but scandals and that type of a thing have more staying power.

Putin is made of Teflon though. He could kill a child on live TV and he'd still be fine.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/love.php?match=hot

.ak is at the top of everyone's list because he is a thanks whore.

0NGbFPh.png

Yep!

400 journalists from over 100 media organisations have been researching it for 12 months. And not a peep.

Quality work.

Iceland is not going to be a pleasant place tomorrow.

That's my favourite part. The news agency that was approached knew this story was too big for them and brought in investigative journalists from around the globe to assist. It's a collective effort.

Credit to John Doe for leaking it although I suspect he's in hiding now if not dead already!

• Advertisement

Putin is made of Teflon though. He could kill a child on live TV and he'd still be fine.

Oh yeah, he'll probably be more popular than ever now amongst his fans

I was actually pulling the piss, knew you were a bloke, sure no women would dare darken the door of the rugby forum!

;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I was actually pulling the piss, knew you were a bloke, sure no women would dare darken the door of the rugby forum!

;)

:eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

0NGbFPh.png

Yep!

I bring you love.

a.k. isn't top of my list anymore.....and there's 2 women on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I might as well be a woman with the amount of them in my house.

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    I might as well be a woman with the amount of them in my house.

Leinster fans are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

If you're like me, and watching a film with your other half means restricting the genre to "Romantic Comedy" or "Romantic Drama", then I can recommend "Brooklyn" (unless you're from Cavan...)

I'd be actually interested to know what Real Actual Irish People (you people in other words) feel watching a film like that: ?cultural cringe or are these sort of films well-received in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

swiwi_ wrote: »
    If you're like me, and watching a film with your other half means restricting the genre to "Romantic Comedy" or "Romantic Drama", then I can recommend "Brooklyn" (unless you're from Cavan...)

I'd be actually interested to know what Real Actual Irish People (you people in other words) feel watching a film like that: ?cultural cringe or are these sort of films well-received in Ireland?

In the words of my mother: "Its a lovely kind of a film". I havent seen it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Brooklyn is a good film. It's well written and has really strong performances. It's not like one of those diddly-aye-top-o-the-mornin-to-ya American made films with arsehats doing leprechaun sounding accents and everyone's eating raw spuds on the back of a donkey.

Brooklyn is a rare one in that it would evoke a lot of memories for older people who lived through that era of emigration but it also touches a nerve now with the younger generations who are forced to do the same. Or even just in those who left of their own accord but still miss home. I read a lot of things around the time of it's release where Irish people living abroad said they could absolutely relate to the feeling of homesickness the main character has when she first arrives, regardless of their reasons for leaving home.

A good story, in my opinion, is one that people can relate to on an emotional level regardless of whether or not the actual circumstances being played out are exactly the same as your own or completely different. A 20 year old Irish man emigrating to New York now isn't going to look at Brooklyn and think jaysus, that's me! but at the same time I'm sure they'd be able to look at it and recognise a little bit of their own experience in it.

I would have more of a "cultural cringe" watching things like The Guard or Calvary than something like Brooklyn.

Brooklyn is a good film. It's well written and has really strong performances. It's not like one of those diddly-aye-top-o-the-mornin-to-ya American made films with arsehats doing leprechaun sounding accents and everyone's eating raw spuds on the back of a donkey.

Brooklyn is a rare one in that it would evoke a lot of memories for older people who lived through that era of emigration but it also touches a nerve now with the younger generations who are forced to do the same. Or even just in those who left of their own accord but still miss home. I read a lot of things around the time of it's release where Irish people living abroad said they could absolutely relate to the feeling of homesickness the main character has when she first arrives, regardless of their reasons for leaving home.

A good story, in my opinion, is one that people can relate to on an emotional level regardless of whether or not the actual circumstances being played out are exactly the same as your own or completely different. A 20 year old Irish man emigrating to New York now isn't going to look at Brooklyn and think jaysus, that's me! but at the same time I'm sure they'd be able to look at it and recognise a little bit of their own experience in it.

I would have more of a "cultural cringe" watching things like The Guard or Calvary than something like Brooklyn.

Thanks. Yeah, I quite related to it, not only because I've lived in Ireland, but also because I've been out of my home country for about 10 years now, and I won't be going back to live there. From time to time I miss NZ, even if there are heap of things I really don't like about the place.

I have definitely seen films that have Irish "cultural cringe", and I didn't find Brooklyn like that.

The book will have to be read now...

• Advertisement

Thanks. Yeah, I quite related to it, not only because I've lived in Ireland, but also because I've been out of my home country for about 10 years now, and I won't be going back to live there. From time to time I miss NZ, even if there are heap of things I really don't like about the place.

I have definitely seen films that have Irish "cultural cringe", and I didn't find Brooklyn like that.

The book will have to be read now...

Even though it wasn't the original author that wrote the screenplay the film is basically the book on screen, if you know what I mean. It's a really well done adaptation. There might be one or two bits that were cut out but the overall experience, I found, was the same. It's a while since I read the book but I think the film might have actually been a little more satisfactory in it's ending, in that it was definitive. I think the book was a bit more vague.

Still worth reading though.

Brooklyn is very good. Manages to capture the sense of overwhelment without ever being twee.

Having discussed it with some older relations who emigrated, it's very accurate in its depictions of the experience as well as the rural Irish town at the time.

It's the first film I saw Saoirse Ronan in where I thought she deserved the praise.

It's the first film I saw Saoirse Ronan in where I thought she deserved the praise.

I think she's been excellent in everything she's ever done. Some of the films she's done are just not great films in themselves. The Lovely Bones, for example, was a disaster of an adaptation, but Ronan was excellent in it. Byzantium is another quite messy film but her performance is great. Hanna is brilliant, How I Live Now is good too, there is a major problem in the actual plot itself, for me, but overall it's a really good film that was pretty much ignored on release.

I think the reason she's getting so much praise for Brooklyn is because it's her first sort of proper "adult" role so it makes it more accessible for people. Hanna is in no way a kids film but she's still playing a child in it, same with pretty much all of her work before Brooklyn.

Yeah the lovely bones was dreadful.

From memory it was peter Jackson and I don't feel the love that I am supposedly obliged to feel for his work. The last LOTR was about an hour too long and I was utterly bored.

Yeah the lovely bones was dreadful.

From memory it was peter Jackson and I don't feel the love that I am supposedly obliged to feel for his work. The last LOTR was about an hour too long and I was utterly bored.

Yeah, it was him and his wife and someone else actually did the screenplay. I'd say he was pulling the strings though. For me that book wasn't about the murdered girl it was about her family left behind and their struggle to cope with the aftermath of her disappearance. Her being in the "in between" was just a way of framing that. Jackson seemed to miss that entirely and spent most of the film showing off his special effects guys work in creating the "in between". He basically ripped the entire heart out of the book and threw it away.

I wouldn't be a fan of Jackson at all, especially not as a writer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The lovely bones was utter garbage. I can't believe nobody mentioned it to Jackson at any point in the fulm's creation. I doubt the author was impressed.

Peter Jackson's issue is that he got too powerful. LoTR was the sweet spot for him as his love of technology was balanced by the demands of the studio.

I'm sure the fact I'm a mod negates the fact I'm female :D

That's a fair few mods you are having a love in with :D

The lovely bones was utter garbage. I can't believe nobody mentioned it to Jackson at any point in the fulm's creation. I doubt the author was impressed.

Jackson was writer, director and producer on it. There were 2 other production companies involved but I think his one had most control during filming. Nobody to answer to but himself for the most part. Always a bad idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Jackson was writer, director and producer on it. There were 2 other production companies involved but I think his one had most control during filming. Nobody to answer to but himself for the most part. Always a bad idea.

Christopher Nolans best films are written directed by him and produced by his wife.

• Advertisement

I'm sure the fact I'm a mod negates the fact I'm female :D

That's a fair few mods you are having a love in with :D

Yeah....they're keeping an eye on me....they were awaiting the dreaded sentence being typed on Saturday.... "Leinster V Munster...and Pink Fairy's been drinking"

Yeah....they're keeping an eye on me....they were awaiting the dreaded sentence being typed on Saturday.... "Leinster V Munster...and Pink Fairy's been drinking"

Sure you don't even post in any of my forums :)

And no, that's not an invitation to start!

Nope, I'm not going there at all...anything to do with religion gets a wide berth from me ;)

errlloyd wrote: »
    Christopher Nolans best films are written directed by him and produced by his wife.

Not a huge fan of Nolan myself, so not sure that's a good thing either. ;)

I suppose the opposite end of the spectrum is a studio interfering too much with what the writer/director are trying to do and you end up with a mess.

With someone like Jackson though I'd have thought studios would have stopped giving him such free reign on things. Then again financially he gets them their money so they don't really care what he's doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I think everyone from the Rugby forum should go pay a visit to Stheno's forums. in the Religious forum we could start a thread on whether McCaw or Hayes is the one true God. In the Separation & Divorce forum the thread could be about the strain that supporting different provinces puts on a relationship. Politics, just bring everything back to bidding for the RWC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

From time to time I miss NZ, even if there are heap of things I really don't like about the place.

Out of interest swiwi, what don't you like about NZ? Was only there once for a couple of weeks (it was baltic cold) but thought it was amazing. Suppose I was a tourist though and would be seeing it through tinted glasses

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I think everyone from the Rugby forum should go pay a visit to Stheno' forums. in the Religious forum we could start a thread on whether McCaw or Hayes is the one true God. In the Marriage & Divorce forum the thread could be about the strain that supporting different provinces puts on a relationship.

*polishes ban hammer* :pac:

I'll have you know that I was the person today to tell my OH that George Naoupu (sp?) was retiring, and explaining about his missus and his business here. Sure he didn't even know Ah You was moving to Ulster.

The politics thread would probably be fine in the cafe :pac:

If you're like me, and watching a film with your other half means restricting the genre to "Romantic Comedy" or "Romantic Drama",

I have this same problem. The one good thing is that she tends to fall asleep 10 minutes into any movie so I then change it to something I'm interested in.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I have this same problem. The one good thing is that she tends to fall asleep 10 minutes into any movie so I then change it to something I'm interested in.

I've the opposite problem. Now while my OH will not watch e.g. the likes of Bridget Jones, if I put on platoon, casino, etc, he runs upstairs in horror at the violence.

Can't even stand watching Criminal Minds.

As for Saoirse Ronan I've only seen her in that UK apocalypse movie, and really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

I've the opposite problem. Now while my OH will not watch e.g. the likes of Bridget Jones, if I put on platoon, casino, etc, he runs upstairs in horror at the violence.

Can't even stand watching Criminal Minds.

Haha. That sounds exactly like my missus. She once watched a couple of episodes of Criminal Minds when she was alone in the house and then had to check every room, every cupboard and under every bed to make sure no serial killers were hiding there waiting for her to go to sleep.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement