Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Haha. That sounds exactly like my missus. She once watched a couple of episodes of Criminal Minds when she was alone in the house and then had to check every room, every cupboard and under every bed to make sure no serial killers were hiding there waiting for her to go to sleep.

Are you calling my OH a big girls blouse?????:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Stheno wrote: »
    Are you calling my OH a big girls blouse?????:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I know he isn't because he isn't a Leinster fan :D or a winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I know he isn't because he isn't a Leinster fan :D or a winger.

Or a Super Rugby player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Synode wrote: »
    Out of interest swiwi, what don't you like about NZ? Was only there once for a couple of weeks (it was baltic cold) but thought it was amazing. Suppose I was a tourist though and would be seeing it through tinted glasses

I'm here at the moment and its definitely not Baltic! We're having a ball, super country to visit and tour around. Interested to see swiwi's response but I could see myself living here happily if it wasn't so bleeding far away :)

This is my view right now ;) (attached pic)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Zzippy wrote: »
    I'm here at the moment and its definitely not Baltic! We're having a ball, super country to visit and tour around. Interested to see swiwi's response but I could see myself living here happily if it wasn't so bleeding far away :)

Lucky Bastard!

Here I am at 5am going to bed for 2 hours before getting up for what is likely to be another 36 hours straight :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Oh I wouldn't like the look of that...

*looks at workplace and sobs*

Landlord wants to send someone over for a valuation at the end of the week. Is it something I should be worried about? I've never heard of such a thing. My housemate is freaking out assuming we're about to get kicked out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Landlord wants to send someone over for a valuation at the end of the week. Is it something I should be worried about? I've never heard of such a thing. My housemate is freaking out assuming we're about to get kicked out :rolleyes:

Not something I've had happen to me before but my first thought would be, if your rent hasn't been increased in the past 5 months or so he/she could be getting a valuation to justify increasing your rent

I would guess that they are correct.
    (That's what happened me in October)

Other option is that landlord is re-mortgaging the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

There are a few reasons why you might want to get your property valued so I wouldn't panic just yet. I presume you're on decent terms with him/her? I'd just ask them.

• Advertisement

I would guess that they are correct.
    (That's what happened me in October)

Other option is that landlord is re-mortgaging the house.

On what grounds? I've never had issue with the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

Happened to me but it was for remortgaging.

Clean the hell out of the place!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Synode wrote: »
    Out of interest swiwi, what don't you like about NZ? Was only there once for a couple of weeks (it was baltic cold) but thought it was amazing. Suppose I was a tourist though and would be seeing it through tinted glasses

OK, "heap of things" was probably a bit of an exaggeration.

1) Negativity/small-mindedness/"Can't-see-the-woods-for-the-trees"-ism
    2) Culture & art are dirty words (that is slowly changing)
    3) Miles from anywhere else

On the other hand, the "can-do", "No.8 wire" mentality is a great Kiwi characteristic in my opinion. Whereas in France for example, certain jobs are only open to people who went to certain universities, and promotion is based on age and following the book etc, NZ highly values innovation, creativity, ingenuity, entrepreneurialism etc.

- NZ is (like Ireland) very generous towards charities, but you don't find beggars on the streets because they are not tolerated "get a job, mate" (or at least make an effort to look for one, don't expect handouts) would be our feeling. I suppose Irish culture has been greatly affected by the famine, whereas NZ culture was about settlers coming out with nothing and either getting on with it or else perishing.

I think we are also very easy-going and genuinely friendly - I don't think there is the inherent distrust/suspicion of outsiders that I found in Irish society, even if you can't beat the Irish for friendliness in the sense of asking for directions if you're lost etc. But it wouldn't be uncommon in NZ to meet someone for the first time, and they are already drinking beers round the BBQ that evening, whereas I found more of a "house is my castle" attitude in Ireland.

I did find myself cringing on the bus back from Cardiff to Bristol after the RWC 1/4 final vs France - full of drunk middle-aged Kiwis called "Bev", "Trevor", "Sue" etc, and the lack of refinement was totally cringe-worthy, especially with my good French mate in the bus having to listen to it.

Ah, no country is perfect, and NZ has a lot going for it, definitely a great place to visit as a tourist!

Probably didn't help that I mainly grew up in Chch which is as about as conservative a place as you'll find, if I did head back to NZ to live, it would probably be Auckland, except that Auckland is rapidly becoming ridiculously expensive - even for people with 2 good incomes owning a house is more and more of a pipedream.

I think the Lions tour, if combined with seeing the country, not just drinking in pubs with other people from the home countries, would be potentially an amazing holiday.

My 2c, hopefully I haven't offended Yeah_right or you guys!

swiwi_ wrote: »

Ah, no country is perfect, and NZ has a lot going for it,
    definitely a great place to visit as a tourist!

Wrong. It's an amazing place to visit!

Wrong. It's an amazing place to visit!

Yeah it rocks. Dunno if you've done the South Island but I really like the West Coast, it's the closest to Ireland including the weather!

Also the trip around the East Cape (starts Gisborne) is off the main tourist beat but is great. I remember driving at least 30 minutes at a time without seeing another soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Have to say NZ was probably my favourite place when I travelled. Spent 6 weeks touring both islands and just wish I had stayed another 6 instead of wasting time in Australia where culture and art are truly foreign concepts for vast swathes of the land.

The south island was definitely more spectacular but less to do than the north aside from outdoor activities. Queenstown is a great little town but I'd say locals are fed up with the number of backpackers and students that overrun the place. Some scenery though.

My favourite spot was Wanaka, beautiful little laid back town where we spend a few nights just strolling around, enjoying a few beers and relaxing.

Wanaka.jpg

@Buer, yeah Aussies and Kiwis are not as similar as people think. Bit like Canadians and Americans I suppose. If I complain about Kiwis lacking culture, it pales compared to Aussie...

Yeah it rocks. Dunno if you've done the South Island but I really like the West Coast, it's the closest to Ireland including the weather!

Also the trip around the East Cape (starts Gisborne) is off the main tourist beat but is great. I remember driving at least 30 minutes at a time without seeing another soul.

Did the West Coast alright, incredible scenery and jungle-like rain forest everywhere, a fantastic drive. Milford Sound, Franz Josef, Abel Tasman, Bay of Islands some of the other highlights. Fantastic weather, only one really wet day (torrential actually), lovely people and the trout fishing is spectacular. Keep telling the missus I'm buying a place here when we win the lotto... ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Have to save up to go on a rugby tour in a few years. I'm still in double digits in terms of savings yet. If I do go we'll be based around the BoP.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

@Buer, yeah Aussies and Kiwis are not as similar as people think. Bit like Canadians and Americans I suppose. If I complain about Kiwis lacking culture, it pales compared to Aussie...

I can honestly say that, aside from Sydney and Melbourne where I have family and friends, I felt Australia was a waste of time.

Didn't do western Australia but went from Darwin right around to Melbourne. Every single town is just a dusty, bore-fest. Some have beaches. Some have bars. When you've gone through the first 2 or 3, you realise they're all the same.

• Advertisement

Did the West Coast alright, incredible scenery and jungle-like rain forest everywhere, a fantastic drive. Milford Sound, Franz Josef, Abel Tasman, Bay of Islands some of the other highlights. Fantastic weather, only one really wet day (torrential actually), lovely people and the trout fishing is spectacular. Keep telling the missus I'm buying a place here when we win the lotto... ;)

When my in-laws visited us back in the day when we were still living in NZ, we spent about 2 weeks on the West Coast, Fiordland, and the central lakes without one drop of rain. Couldn't believe it!

I also have a big soft spot for Hawke's Bay - one of NZ's fruit-bowls, with hot sunny weather, great wine, and beaches.

It's a great country just to drive around, especially if you get a suitable vehicle, aren't rushed for time, and use the gravel roads through the back country.

Buer wrote: »
    I can honestly say that, aside from Sydney and Melbourne where I have family and friends, I felt Australia was a waste of time.

Didn't do western Australia but went from Darwin right around to Melbourne. Every single town is just a dusty, bore-fest. Some have beaches. Some have bars. When you've gone through the first 2 or 3, you realise they're all the same.

We lived briefly in Coff's Harbour (roughly half-way between Sydney and Brisbane). Sublime fruit (especially the bananas), but it rained way more than I expected, and oh not a drop of rugby news. Just rugby f*ck*n league non-stop.

On what grounds? I've never had issue with the landlord.

They are permitted to ask you to vacate in order to sell the property.

We lived and rented there for 3.5 years, zero issues ever. However she decided to sell, informed us, gave us our notice, and sold the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

I shouldn't have come in here. I now miss living in New Zealand more. Such an amazing country with the people and the scenery.

Very tempted to go back for the lions tour but having toured around the country 3 or 4 times I think I'll save for rwc in Japan. But really want to go back and see Christchurch in the future and see how the rebuild all comes together.

My 2c, hopefully I haven't offended Yeah_right or you guys!

I'd agree with pretty much everything you wrote. I think it's the greatest country in the world but there are some issues with it, like you said. The main ones being its so far away.Also a believe that it's the centre of the universe (usually comes from people who have never left NZ or only made it as far as Sydney or the GC).

Wait, you're from ChCh. What would you know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

We lived briefly in Coff's Harbour (roughly half-way between Sydney and Brisbane). Sublime fruit (especially the bananas), but it rained way more than I expected, and oh not a drop of rugby news. Just rugby f*ck*n league non-stop.

Coffs Harbour is a lovely spot. Stayed on Emerald Beach before Christmas and the weather was beautiful. Been there a good few times before but we made our first trip to The Big Banana this time. Absolute rip off :pac:

In the end of time
    There was a man who knew the road
    And the writing, was written on the stone
    In the ancient time
    An artist led the way
    But no one, seemed to understand
    In his heart he knew
    The artist must be true
    But the legend, of the rent was way past due
    Well you think you'll be just fine...without me, but your mine!
    You think you can, kick me out of the band
    Well there's just one problem there
    The band is mine
    How can you kick me out...of what is mine
    You’re not hardcore
    Unless you live hardcore
    Well you’re not hardcore
    (No you’re not hardcore)
    Unless you live hardcore
    (Unless you live hardcore)
    But the legend of the rent was way hardcore

And what movie were you watching tonight?

Of course it will fit. I've flown everywhere and never had a problem.

It's a bit big for Ryanair I think.

It's fine.

You've an awful lot of stuff packed for 5 days.

Be quiet...I've told you it's not a problem.

It's just that I think there's too much stuff in it.

The realisation when you get to the boarding gate and the bag is waaaaay too big for hand luggage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Off to Disney.... Have fun, you'll love it ....maybe :D

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    Off to Disney.... Have fun, you'll love it ....maybe :D

Have you ever turned up a week early for your holidays?

Well the good news is that we got through the bomb scare in the train station and the hotel only want another €1000 for the next 3 nights.

Yes I booked the flights according to the dates given by herself.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

mfceiling wrote: »
    Have you ever turned up a week early for your holidays?

Well the good news is that we got through the bomb scare in the train station and the hotel only want another €1000 for the next 3 nights.

Yes I booked the flights according to the dates given by herself.

You went on holidays a week early?

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

awec wrote: »
    You went on holidays a week early?

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

That's how I roll...

Reminds me of the lad who went to the premature ejaculators conference. Went to the counter and the man says to him "it's next week mate"

mfceiling wrote: »
    That's how I roll...

Reminds me of the lad who went to the premature ejaculators conference. Went to the counter and the man says to him "it's next week mate"

You staying for two weeks now? :pac:

Priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Double the pleasure!

• Advertisement

You staying for two weeks now? :pac:

Priceless.

Already had to thump an attempted pick pocket, ordered a crepe that never came, dropped a bottle of water down the toilet, checked the wrong bag into the hold, booked the wrong tickets on the train and arrived a week early to our hotel which is fully booked.

Good holiday...

Oh and fork out nearly another 500 notes for new accommodation.

Would have been cheaper to go to New Zealand for a month!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Got to love Paris

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Got to love Paris

I'm not overly fond of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm not overly fond of it.

Smells of piss

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Smells of piss

Can't say I noticed that. It is ridiculously noisy though and the throngs of scam artists hanging around all the tourist attractions winds me up something awful. I DON'T WANT A SELFIE STICK, YOU P**CK!

Can't say I noticed that. It is ridiculously noisy though and the throngs of scam artists hanging around all the tourist attractions winds me up something awful. I DON'T WANT A SELFIE STICK, YOU P**CK!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome

Are you saying I hallucinated the guys trying to sell me tiny key rings of the Eiffel Tower every five steps I took? :eek:

Went to the gym today for the first time in a few years.

Ouch. :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Bought a bike second hand on Friday... cycling into today's headwind has left the legs like jelly. 20 years since I last cycled. No pain no gain and all of that business.

I've managed to get hold of some of the security footage of awec in the gym today

FGcUaTE.gif?noredirect

b.gud wrote: »
    I've managed to get hold of some of the security footage of awec in the gym today

FGcUaTE.gif?noredirect

Not far off it!

It's hard to know how much weight to put on, I've no experience with this. I did 3 sets of 8 at each thing, at the end of each set should I be totally busted? Or at the end of the first set should it feel relatively ok (but still feel it) and only feel completely bollocksed at the end of the last set?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Not far off it!

It's hard to know how much weight to put on, I've no experience with this. I did 3 sets of 8 at each thing, at the end of each set should I be totally busted? Or at the end of the first set should it feel relatively ok (but still feel it) and only feel completely bollocksed at the end of the last set?

You're probably best off aiming for a rep range so start off by aiming to do 3 sets of 8-12 reps. If you find you can do 3 sets of 12, then up the weight and aim for 3 sets of 8 and work your way up until you can do 3 sets of 12 again.

No harm doing a wam up set at 50% of the weight either(not for every exercise but if you're doing say legs one day do a warm up set of squats to get blood going to the legs), and I usually kick off with 5 minutes on a rower to get the heart going.

Not far off it!

I suppose that it all depends on what your goal is. I did something like you before where I wasn't really following a program just doing 3 set of a few exercises that I thought would be good but didn't really get anywhere.

A while ago a friend recommended http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/shortcut-to-size.html to me. I was a bit skeptical at first but I gave to say I've found it really good. It's really structured so you know exactly what you should be doing and there are guides for nutrition and supplements if you want to follow those.

The progression in the microcycles is a really great way to get bigger weights and is def something I'm gonna keep up when I finish it. I was chatting to the personal trainer in the gym during a work out and he was asking me what I was doing and I mentioned this program and he said the way it's laid out, high reps at low weights progressing to low reps at high weights, is really good and something that he does himself

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

Not far off it!

Realistically if you're 'just' doing the 3x8 sort of standard routine, 3 days a week split then I'd say:

Have 2 warm up sets for the first lift for that body part. Then your 3 x 8. You should feel challenged at the end of each set but should have 1 or 2 reps left in the hole. What I normally do is just for example:

Squats - 5 reps. Start with a low weight, rep it and add weight, until I get to the point where I can't do 5 reps anymore. Then drop to 80% of the 5RM and do as many as I can safely to failure (stop before I know I can't complete the next one).

https://www.t-nation.com/training/athlete-lean-athlete-strong

If you're going to get back into it fully I highly recommend the above routine! I did it before to great effect and currently about to start it again, be good to have a buddy doing it too. Currently weighing in at 104kgs and about 22% fat.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement