Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

As you can see you'll get a different opinion from everybody you speak to!

You'll notice that both b.gud and Scythia linked routines though, and they are definitely beneficial. On bodybuilding.com's main site or their forums you'll find hundreds of programmes available for free; my advice would be to browse through them, pick one you like the look of and just go for it. They shouldn't be too hard to pick up if they're designed for beginners and they're usually made up of compound lifts that will give you a good base for anywhere you want to go from there.

People also don't realise how big a part nutrition plays in fitness. You mentioned that you'd put on weight, and if your goal is to drop your body fat % and build muscle mass then nutrition will be more than half the battle. There's absolutely craploads of info on the web about this but there's some good beginner threads on bodybuilding.com's forums and of course on the nutrition and diet forum on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

dregin wrote: »
    Bought a bike second hand on Friday... cycling into today's headwind has left the legs like jelly. 20 years since I last cycled. No pain no gain and all of that business.

Or don't bike at all.

No pain no pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

G'wan Shane Lowry

Meant to be packing for Grenoble but i'm glued to the golf

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

wp_rathead wrote: »
    G'wan Shane Lowry

Was in Grenoble couple months ago. Tis a pleasant enough city though doesn't exactly wow.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I want to bulk up a bit, not a lot. I actually looked up bb forums and found http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beginner_weight_training.htm that I rougly followed today. Didn't do the bicep curls or the ab crunches at the end. Picked this one as it seems pretty varied and just want to get the body used to the challenge!

I use the gym in my apartments which is decent, but has the downside of having no free weights. It has loads of weight machines and has a machine that replicates free weights, but obviously can't replicate everything (like squats).

Felt challenged at the end of each set and really challenged at the end of the third set.

Want to see how I feel tomorrow before deciding whether to up it next time, I don't want to be barely able to move!

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Was in Grenoble couple months ago. Tis a pleasant enough city though doesn't exactly wow.

ah ya, this time last year I was in Gloucester so I'm sure will be bit nicer than that town:D
    ya gang of us are flying into Geneva and getting bus down- you should make a spin down for the match Saturday Podge

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

awec wrote: »
    I want to bulk up a bit, not a lot. I actually looked up bb forums and found http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beginner_weight_training.htm that I rougly followed today. Didn't do the bicep curls or the ab crunches at the end. Picked this one as it seems pretty varied and just want to get the body used to the challenge!

I use the gym in my apartments which is decent, but has the downside of having no free weights. It has loads of weight machines and has a machine that replicates free weights, but obviously can't replicate everything (like squats).

Felt challenged at the end of each set and really challenged at the end of the third set.

Want to see how I feel tomorrow before deciding whether to up it next time, I don't want to be barely able to move!

I think tomorrow will suck for you anyway bud. First leg day back is awful for all and I remember having to stay in the office because I couldn't make it on board in work the day after!

To be honest, anything you do will work. Just be consistent with it and eat accordingly. Diet has been my downfall for too long and only now can I appreciate how much it effects things.

Since it's machines only. I'd say look for something like a 3-4 day a week full body workout that suits or you can adapt for you, ex: bench press = chest machine etc.

At the end of the day though, if you find a program you enjoy, just crack on with it. Anything that makes you motivated will work 10x better.

Scythica wrote: »
    I think tomorrow will suck for you anyway bud. First leg day back is awful for all and I remember having to stay in the office because I couldn't make it on board in work the day after!

To be honest, anything you do will work. Just be consistent with it and eat accordingly. Diet has been my downfall for too long and only now can I appreciate how much it effects things.

Since it's machines only. I'd say look for something like a 3-4 day a week full body workout that suits or you can adapt for you, ex: bench press = chest machine etc.

At the end of the day though, if you find a program you enjoy, just crack on with it. Anything that makes you motivated will work 10x better.

I came home from the gym and ate 4 eggs. That definitely won't last. :pac:

Would there be much difference between 3 days a week and 2?

I want to bulk up a bit, not a lot.

Yeah, you don't bulk up a lot by accident so I wouldn't worry on that front.
    ah ya, this time last year I was in Gloucester so I'm sure will be bit nicer than that town:D
    ya gang of us are flying into Geneva and getting bus down- you should make a spin down for the match Saturday Podge

Aaaah the Connacht match. Alas I'm off to Helsinki tomorrow, otherwise that would be a fine way to spend a weekend. Lovely walk up the hill to the old Bastille with a great view over the area. Good way to clear the head the next morning :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

G'wan Shane Lowry

Have him at 100/1 (a very small wager). He's playing a blinder

Edit: Jinxed it, he bogeyed the last

I came home from the gym and ate 4 eggs. That definitely won't last. :pac:

Would there be much difference between 3 days a week and 2?

I ended up biting the (nutri)bullet and getting one of them, protein powder (optimum french vanilla - nom), banana, milk and some frozen spinach = beautiful. Have one for breakfast which is after I go gym works nicely.

Uhh I'm not a PT or anything but I'd say personally yes, unless you were absolutely killing it twice a week. I personally got every weekday at 5am and adjusted to it quite nicely. Got to the point where I wake up at that time anyway so I either lie there or go gym, so I go.

Chad Waterbury I believe did quite a few 2-3 day a week full body routines, and he's pretty well regarded, might have something that'd fit the bill.

A good way to look at is probably not 2/3 times a week, but just having alternate sessions, so you do slightly different exercises in each and rotate. Then it'd fit 2,3,4 times a week as you see fit.

Week 1: Workout A, Workout B
    Week 2: Workout B, Workout A
    Week 3: Workout B, Workout A, Workout B
    Week 4: Workout A, Workout B, Workout A

(Sorry I'm not trying to be patronising I just don't explain things well sometimes..!)

I personally got every weekday at 5am and adjusted to it quite nicely. Got to the point where I wake up at that time anyway so I either lie there or go gym, so I go.

:eek:

I go at 0630 and miss it all the god damn time because it's a ludicrous time of the morning.

5am and 6:30am? You are both mental.

I was thinking at going at like 8:30am or 9am and was even debating how likely it was I'd actually get out of bed on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

I used to be really good for going at like 7 am but lost the habit, now I go at lunch time during work and find it great, it really breaks the day up

I either go in at 7am or around lunch time. The weights room in my gym is great but it's really small so there's no point even trying to get in in the evening when it's busy, morning & lunch there's nobody around so I can get everything done.

I am pretty awful at getting out of bed too so it tends to be more lunch time than 7am...

• Advertisement

My workday is 0730 to 1545 so 5am- finish 0615ish and get into work around 0700 as I have to park about 2 miles from my office :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

My work day is about 10-7 and I went to the gym once in 2007 to pick up a lucozade

(Actually I work out at work, you guys need to change your employers)

Lucazade Orange, now there's a soft drink I could binge on. Like a posh man's IRN BRUUUUU

Rory making bit of a charge now

Bazzo wrote: »
    I either go in at 7am or around lunch time. The weights room in my gym is great but it's really small so there's no point even trying to get in in the evening when it's busy, morning & lunch there's nobody around so I can get everything done.

I am pretty awful at getting out of bed too so it tends to be more lunch time than 7am...

Is there much benefit to free weights over the machines?

We have a gym in work too and I could go at lunch but it's not very good at the moment, it's more geared for cardio stuff.

• Advertisement

Lucazade Orange, now there's a soft drink I could binge on. Like a posh man's IRN BRUUUUU

I ****ing love that stuff. Can't get it in Switz :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I came home from the gym and ate 4 eggs.

Creme??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Is there much benefit to free weights over the machines?

We have a gym in work too and I could go at lunch but it's not very good at the moment, it's more geared for cardio stuff.

I think if you actually plan on using the muscle (to play sport or lift heavy ****) then Free Weights are much better, instead of just training the main bicep or tricep for example, they're training all of the muscles in the arm.

However, if your aim is to just look good when you wear a tight white t-shirt to have a cheeky Nandos in DD (or like to fit into an Ireland "Test" Jersey), then your grand on machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

Free weights all day long, works more muscles by forcing you to stabilise and control the weights but as said above if you're just looking to tack on a bit of mass you'll be grand on the machines.

We do have a machine that's supposed to emulate free weights. It has a series of pullies etc. You can do bench presses, bicep curls etc.

Like for bench press you clip the bar onto two pullies at the bottom, set the weight and then lie on the bench and push the bar up and down.

Does that differ a lot from doing it with an actual barbell?

We do have a machine that's supposed to emulate free weights. It has a series of pullies etc. You can do bench presses, bicep curls etc.

Like for bench press you clip the bar onto two pullies at the bottom, set the weight and then lie on the bench and push the bar up and down.

You won't really be using any stabilising muscles that way as you don't need to keep the bar in line yourself.

Sounds like you're describing a cable machine, does it look something like this:

cable-machine.jpg

? They are pretty good for a lot of exercises but still won't quite emulate the benefits of free weights. I wouldn't worry about it too much for now, I'd get cracking on whatever programme you've picked out and try to get your diet and routine in order first and worry about free weights later on.

Yep that's the exact thing!

Anyone else noticed that in the Conor McGregor dream advert his haircut changes half way through? :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Anyone else noticed that in the Conor McGregor dream advert his haircut changes half way through? :D

Have you been juicing with oestrogen?

• Advertisement

Have you been juicing with oestrogen?

It changes!

Starts off with the one he normally has, but half way through he's wearing the exact same clothes walking along and his head is suddenly shaved.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It changes!

Starts off with the one he normally has, but half way through he's wearing the exact same clothes walking along and his head is suddenly shaved.

Does it happen at the same time he goes from Ireland to America? Perhaps it's deliberate to emphasise the passage of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's intentional

You can travel anywhere in the world alone for two weeks. Where do you go

Alaska.

New Zealand maybe, or Vietnam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Alaska.

+1. Hike some mountains.

Teferi wrote: »
    +1. Hike some mountains.
    Alaska.

Bit like this guy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Wild_(book)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Not eurodisney.

Definitely not fcuking eurodisney.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mfceiling wrote: »
    Not eurodisney.

Definitely not fcuking eurodisney.

Not having a good time? Have to say it's my idea of hell

On a happier note through sheer dumb luck I backed the winner of the national st forty to one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

errlloyd wrote: »

I would suggest you bring a little more food than a bag of rice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Unless it's a really really really big bag of rice.

That guy was a tool. Deserved what he got.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

New Zealand maybe, or Vietnam

My two favourite countries I've been to. Both superb in completely different ways.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Iceland or Cambodia.

Or Argentina again

• Advertisement

Rory and Spieth having a mare at the Masters. Wayward shots all over the show and scrambling back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Martin v Joshua?

Predictions?

Personally I love Joshua's style. Hope he wins because of that, but mostly I hope he wins because the sport needs a new hype.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm going with Joshua :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'm going with Joshua :pac:

Prudent call.

I imagine Joshua Haye will get bandied about more now. Will be a few more fights before Fury or the twin I think.

AJ does seem like the real deal. There's a pic of him and Froch being bandied about on the twittersphere and he's fricking huge!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement