Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is this an intentional butchery of a childhood classic or is this actually how kids north of the wall say it?

It's the awec version, I modified it slightly so I could claim it as my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Zzippy wrote: »
    I'd actually describe it as a whole other genre. Have you considered applying for a grant, or artist's tax exemption?

It's kind of like Banksy. You stick your art in a public place where noone has asked for it or particularly needed it, and where it often gets in the way. Then years later you make documentaries about it and sell lots of merchandise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

The biggest piece of misinformation I see about it is this myth that transdev are a massively profitable company who are paying their execs **** load of money while the workers struggle. They're not. They hardly break even year on year.

Also, if everyone is behind the strike. Why don't the luas staff just get the ticket conductors to strike. No one gets interrupted, public travel free and transdev get the message?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

awec wrote: »
    There are ulterior motives at play here and SIPTU keep running to the government to sort it out which is kind of like the school bully running to the teacher when the person they have been bullying hits them back.

If you're going to plagiarise, at least give keith16 (who posts here from time to time) some credit...

:D

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

swiwi_ wrote: »
    If you're going to plagiarise, at least give keith16 (who posts here from time to time) some credit...

:D

I did borrow his analogy indeed as I found it most splendid at describing the current charade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The luas drivers look for more

We laugh and say they're mad

They huff and puff and go on strike

And that makes dublin sad

They won't drive trams which isn't fair

Those nasty little runts

Sack them all and start again

And feck those stupid....

*I'm not great at poetry...can't even think of a word that rhymes with runts*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

mfceiling wrote: »
    The luas drivers look for more

We laugh and say they're mad

They huff and puff and go on strike

And that makes dublin sad

They won't drive trams which isn't fair

Those nasty little runts

Sack them all and start again

And feck those stupid....

*I'm not great at poetry...can't even think of a word that rhymes with runts*

Stunts?

cunts

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Haha whoops
    Who the feck am I thinking of so?

aad012e6cf9e03e00471980ac922ae4c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ha being called a lady is fine by me, though someone on here called me Louis Walsh once which I've no idea what that means!

Just watched London has fallen. Easily one of the top 5 films that I have ever had the misfortune of watching.
    Absolute drivel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Should've watched the Liverpool-Dortmund game instead.

Some comeback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Should've watched the Liverpool-Dortmund game instead.

Some comeback.
    Liverpool seem to have cornered the market in big European comebacks. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Ha being called a lady is fine by me, though someone on here called me Louis Walsh once which I've no idea what that means!

You're a drama queen?

Liverpool seem to have cornered the market in big European comebacks. :cool:

This give another great game for Jonny Sexton to use as inspiration. Just you wait.

• Advertisement

Have you smiled yet today?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I genuinely despise motor bikers

That guy actually did a drivers test but has no problem putting him on the inside of that car like that.

Everytime I hear one has died I think it was prob his fault.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I genuinely despise motor bikers

That guy actually did a drivers test but has no problem putting him on the inside of that car like that.

Everytime I hear one has died I think it was prob his fault.

He has likely ruined that poor child as well. Destined to follow the same path

Just checking online for a 3day getaway next month, I can go to Jury's Christchurch in Dubland for €600 or 3 days in Brussels incl flights for a little over half that.... Less than half if i stay in a 3 star hotel. Crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Just checking online for a 3day getaway next month, I can go to Jury's Christchurch in Dubland for €600 or 3 days in Brussels incl flights for a little over half that.... Less than half if i stay in a 3 star hotel. Crazy!

Not surprising! Can't imagine pleasure visits to Brussels including the airport are high on holiday lists at thf moment.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    Not surprising! Can't imagine pleasure visits to Brussels including the airport are high on holiday lists at thf moment.

Actually, it's the opposite, seems a lot of people are think the same
    But, it's the same with Amsterdam and Alicante and a few more...I think it says more about our overpriced hotels than anything else really

I worked in tourism for a few years. There is a serious undersupply of hotel beds in Dublin. At every level.

I find, generally speaking, Irish hotels are a lot better than what you'd get for the same prices abroad. Room size alone is vastly superior in Ireland. Granted I've only once stayed in a Dublin City hotel but even then it had a really good size room.

I find, generally speaking, Irish hotels are a lot better than what you'd get for the same prices abroad. Room size alone is vastly superior in Ireland. Granted I've only once stayed in a Dublin City hotel but even then it had a really good size room.

Try staying in the Dergvale and you'll get a shock :)
    In general, I find the service abroad is on a par with Ireland, room size is much of a muchness, food service and on site facilities are a little better in Ireland, but not enough to justify a 100%+ price difference

I can never understand the fascination with huge hotel rooms. I'll stay in a shoebox as long as it is clean, quiet and has a decent shower.
    Herself always wants 4-5 star with big fancy extras. My point is that you sleep there, then a quick wash and that's you until that night again. I'll happily pay half the price of a 4 star and use the savings to treat myself when I'm visiting that particular city.

I can never understand the fascination with huge hotel rooms. I'll stay in a shoebox as long as it is clean, quiet and has a decent shower.
    Herself always wants 4-5 star with big fancy extras. My point is that you sleep there, then a quick wash and that's you until that night again. I'll happily pay half the price of a 4 star and use the savings to treat myself when I'm visiting that particular city.

It depends on where you're going and why. I've stayed in perfectly lovely shoe boxes in Rome, Paris and London and am perfectly happy to do so when it's a city break type trip and I am pretty much just sleeping in it. If you're just going away for a bit of a relax though it's nice to have a big room and a few extras here and there. There's a hotel in Donegal, Harvey's Point, where the rooms are literally bigger than the downstairs of my house. The bathroom has a huge shower and a bath you could get about 5 people into. Price wise it's not even as expensive as the very centrally located shoe box I stay in in London.

Depends on what you're after, I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

My missus is mad for a 'good' hotel. I couldn't care less where I sleep, particularly when I'm on holiday because you're never there.

A couple of years ago in London I made my girlfriend stay in one of these pod style hotels. She had a fit when she realised what I had booked!

If you're getting 5 people into your bath we all know what youre after!

If you're getting 5 people into your bath we all know what youre after!

It's a time saving thing, bathing everyone at once. Environmentally friendly too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

And I thought it was just my missus that was crazy. When we're on holiday, the only time we're in the room is when we're sleeping or getting ready to go out. Yet she always insists on staying in some amazing (expensive) place with charming/cute/wonderful/whogivesaf... rooms.

• Advertisement

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    And I thought it was just my missus that was crazy. When we're on holiday, the only time we're in the room is when we're sleeping or getting ready to go out. Yet she always insists on staying in some amazing (expensive) place with charming/cute/wonderful/whogivesaf... rooms.

To a point I agree... But if you are travelling, and have to stay in your room for a period of time, then a shoebox isn't a great idea

Something I find very odd about hotels is the new trend of places having the bath in the actual bedroom. Bizarre idea and very impractical but it seems to be a common occurrence in newer hotels at the moment.

Something I find very odd about hotels is the new trend of places having the bath in the actual bedroom. Bizarre idea and very impractical but it seems to be a common occurrence in newer hotels at the moment.

Read an article in the guardian about a hotel that had the jacks in the hotel room!! I laughed for about 3 hours reading the comments section!!

It depends on where you're going and why. I've stayed in perfectly lovely shoe boxes in Rome, Paris and London and am perfectly happy to do so when it's a city break type trip and I am pretty much just sleeping in it. If you're just going away for a bit of a relax though it's nice to have a big room and a few extras here and there. There's a hotel in Donegal, Harvey's Point, where the rooms are literally bigger than the downstairs of my house. The bathroom has a huge shower and a bath you could get about 5 people into. Price wise it's not even as expensive as the very centrally located shoe box I stay in in London.

Depends on what you're after, I suppose.

I stayed over the road, in the Solis Lough Eske Castle for a wedding. The bathroom was bigger than the downstairs of my house, never mind the bedroom!
    Read an article in the guardian about a hotel that had the jacks in the hotel room!! I laughed for about 3 hours reading the comments section!!

I stayed in a hotel in Amsterdam where the jacks was in the shower. They even had a toilet paper dispenser with a plastic cover over it to keep the paper dry...

I stayed in a hotel in Amsterdam where the jacks was in the shower. They even had a toilet paper dispenser with a plastic cover over it to keep the paper dry...

Cheers Zzippy just had a little bit of sick go into my mouth!!

Cheers Zzippy just had a little bit of sick go into my mouth!!

If you were in the shower in Amsterdam you could have just spit it in the toilet without having to get out.

Zzippy wrote:

That's just efficient.

I stayed over the road, in the Solis Lough Eske Castle for a wedding. The bathroom was bigger than the downstairs of my house, never mind the bedroom!

You could have had a shït, shave and a shower all without moving!

You could have had a shït, shave and a shower all without moving!

What do you think I did? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

When I was trying to rent in Holland I visited an apartment where the shower was in the kitchen.

Harvey's Point is often regarded as one of the best hotels in the country. Lived up that direction for a few years but never got around to staying. Nice part of the world tbf.

Harvey's Point is often regarded as one of the best hotels in the country. Lived up that direction for a few years but never got around to staying. Nice part of the world tbf.

It is really a nice spot and the hotel is excellent. My mum's from not too far away so we don't usually need to stay in a hotel up there but we treated ourselves once. It's weird it's only a 4 star hotel though. Anyone know what makes a hotel 5 star? I stayed in a place in Galway a few weeks ago which is 5 star and it was alright but it wasn't a patch on Harvey's Point.

p.s. they also do an amazing Sunday buffet thing. Set price and you can stuff your face on starters, mains and deserts. Top notch grub too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

It is really a nice spot and the hotel is excellent. My mum's from not too far away so we don't usually need to stay in a hotel up there but we treated ourselves once. It's weird it's only a 4 star hotel though. Anyone know what makes a hotel 5 star? I stayed in a place in Galway a few weeks ago which is 5 star and it was alright but it wasn't a patch on Harvey's Point.

p.s. they also do an amazing Sunday buffet thing. Set price and you can stuff your face on starters, mains and deserts. Top notch grub too.
    In addition to the first class (****) hotels:

Reception opened 24 hours, multilingual staff
    Doorman-service or valet parking
    Concierge, page boy
    Spacious reception hall with several seats and beverage service
    Personalized greeting for each guest with fresh flowers or a present in the room
    Minibar and food and beverage offer via room service during 24 hours
    Personal care products in flacons
    Internet-PC in the room
    Safe in the room
    Ironing service (return within 1 hour), shoe polish service
    Turndown service in the evening
    Mystery guesting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_rating#European_Hotelstars_Union

I never take star rating too too seriously. I've stayed in some gorgeous 3 star hotels that haven't got the 4 star rating because they don't have some additional facilities like a gym or swimming pool or whatever.

Bazzo wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_rating#European_Hotelstars_Union

I never take star rating too too seriously. I've stayed in some gorgeous 3 star hotels that haven't got the 4 star rating because they don't have some additional facilities like a gym or swimming pool or whatever.

Yeah, a lot of those things that mark it as 5 star aren't things I'd be interested in. Doormen, turn down service etc. are just annoying. Place I was in last week seemed annoyed when we said we didn't need help with our luggage. It was a tiny roller suitcase and an overnight bag.

Yeah, a lot of those things that mark it as 5 star aren't things I'd be interested in. Doormen, turn down service etc. are just annoying. Place I was in last week seemed annoyed when we said we didn't need help with our luggage. It was a tiny roller suitcase and an overnight bag.

I know someone who owns a large 3 star hotel in a Midlands town. He was told to put a doorman on 24hrs a day and he could get a 4 star rating however he would also have to up his prices. He declined and keeps his prices keen with his 3 star rating. The hotel is packed all the time. Bar is jammed on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday and you wouldn't get a table on a Sunday for dinner.

I stayed in a 5 star hotel in dubrovnik and tbh I've been in 3 star hotels that were every bit as good.

• Advertisement

Yeah, star ratings are nothing to do with quality and everything to do with satisfying a checklist.

I know someone who owns a large 3 star hotel in a Midlands town. He was told to put a doorman on 24hrs a day and he could get a 4 star rating however he would also have to up his prices. He declined and keeps his prices keen with his 3 star rating. The hotel is packed all the time. Bar is jammed on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday and you wouldn't get a table on a Sunday for dinner.

I stayed in a 5 star hotel in dubrovnik and tbh I've been in 3 star hotels that were every bit as good.

I stayed in a 5-star hotel in a small African state and when you opened the minibar door there was a hole in the wall and then a tiny mini fridge seated within it!

I guess it's a little easier to sneak in with those ratings in some places

Watching a programme about the making of the tv show porridge. They interviewed Richard Beckinsale's daughter Kate.

Google her there....she's 42 by the way.

Watching a programme about the making of the tv show porridge. They interviewed Richard Beckinsale's daughter Kate.

I'm not sure if you're implying you didn't know who Kate Beckinsale was beforehand?!

You're watching a documentary about a show starring Kate Beckinsale's father?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement