Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I can't help but like McGregor and the theatrics he brings. The hype that he's built is incredible when you think about it. He's a genius in that regard. The UFC are cutting off the nose to spite the face here.

To put into context, mcgregor's retirement tweet is the most retweeted tweet EVER from a sports celebrity. That's insane. The guy is a golden goose, the ppv records would've been smashed at 200 with or without a world tour and now they're likely to get less than ufc 196 at this, their big show, as it's likely to be Edgar and aldo headlining. The rest of the card is ok, but they didn't need some massive fights because they had McGregor. Now they don't. Now they're scrambling for something else.

White will stick to his guns, but I wouldn't rule out some negotiations on getting McGregor back in play once they realise how much they'll lose.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's all a bit WWE-ish to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I really couldn't give a toss about McGregor aside from the fact that I think he's a good fighter and it's nice to see an Irish fighter doing well. I occasionally watch his fights as an excuse to have a late night sesh with the lads more than anything else.

I couldn't care less if he's in the news twice a day every day, I might skim the odd article but like a lot of things I don't really care about I just don't register it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

molloyjh wrote: »
    All the talk now is that he's gotten in trouble for not promoting the Diaz rematch. So either this is all part of him doing exactly that or it's him throwing a bit of tantrum that they took the fight from him. It'll all be sorted in a few days and we'll all be thankful of getting even more McGregor news in our news feeds, media sources, discussion forums etc etc.

I've no interest in MMA and don't really begrudge the guy, but this constant attention seeking and reporting is just getting really old now. Wish someone would just create a filter to allow people to block anything and everything McGregor related from our internet and SM browsers.
    And getting his name and the sport in the press while he's doing it. Call me cynical but......

JOE.IE: You will not believe molloyjh's shocking opinions on Conor McGregor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

.ak wrote: »
    I can't help but like McGregor and the theatrics he brings. The hype that he's built is incredible when you think about it. He's a genius in that regard. The UFC are cutting off the nose to spite the face here.

To put into context, mcgregor's retirement tweet is the most retweeted tweet EVER from a sports celebrity. That's insane. The guy is a golden goose, the ppv records would've been smashed at 200 with or without a world tour and now they're likely to get less than ufc 196 at this, their big show, as it's likely to be Edgar and aldo headlining. The rest of the card is ok, but they didn't need some massive fights because they had McGregor. Now they don't. Now they're scrambling for something else.

White will stick to his guns, but I wouldn't rule out some negotiations on getting McGregor back in play once they realise how much they'll lose.

That's an overstatement. People give McGregor way too much credit for building this hype when the UFC themselves have done that for him. The UFC was very successful between 2008/2010 and they didn't need him then (they were regularly passing 1 million PPV sales then as well). He's had two fights that surpassed that era, nothing too special. He is a commodity and as soon as he decided he didn't want to get involved in the media buildup for the fight his value disappeared.

If they do the smart thing here they'll have Aldo v Edgar and Diaz v. RDA/Lawler for their relevant titles, and the main event UFC 200 will be much better off (people in Ireland losing interest will mean nothing to them remember). Ideal scenario then is Edgar becomes featherweight champion and defends it against a more realistic McGregor in the first event in New York. And when he comes back he will take part in the media tour, guaranteed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I agree IBF. I get the impression that McGregor and some of his fans think the UFC was some small struggling organisation before he came along and made it world famous. It will survive and be profitable without him. And he'll be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That's an overstatement. People give McGregor way too much credit for building this hype when the UFC themselves have done that for him. The UFC was very successful between 2008/2010 and they didn't need him then (they were regularly passing 1 million PPV sales then as well). He's had two fights that surpassed that era, nothing too special. He is a commodity and as soon as he decided he didn't want to get involved in the media buildup for the fight his value disappeared.

If they do the smart thing here they'll have Aldo v Edgar and Diaz v. RDA/Lawler for their relevant titles, and the main event UFC 200 will be much better off (people in Ireland losing interest will mean nothing to them remember). Ideal scenario then is Edgar becomes featherweight champion and defends it against a more realistic McGregor in the first event in New York. And when he comes back he will take part in the media tour, guaranteed.
    Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I agree IBF. I get the impression that McGregor and some of his fans think the UFC was some small struggling organisation before he came along and made it world famous. It will survive and be profitable without him. And he'll be back.

Balls.ie: The Fascinating Opinions of irishbucsfan and Yeah-Right on Conor McGregor Will Surprise You

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ah I'm not saying the UFC were small but before him or didn't help him hype it but you'll be shocked by the difference in ppv figures before and after McGregor for UFC ...

Click click click

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

.ak wrote: »

To put into context, mcgregor's retirement tweet is the most retweeted tweet EVER from a sports celebrity. That's insane.

It's not that insane when you think about it.

A sports star retiring out of the blue with no more information or details from their club in the lead up to a major event for that sports star is going to get re tweeted ta fook.

Imagine if Twitter was around when Roy Keane left Saipan, now that would have broke the internet big style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ugh, made a typo keying my details into the park by text app and got clamped becuase my reg was out by one digit. Had anyone ever had any luck appealing, I was clearly in the wrong, but i also clearly paid for parking....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Did the council clamp it?

Either way contact the company and see what they can do.

If they don't play ball it's time to get some councillor's involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Did the council clamp it?

Either way contact the company and see what they can do.

If they don't play ball it's time to get some councillor's involved.

Ncps luas Park and ride

50% of my facebook feed is Conor McGregor again. I like watching the fights live but **** all the nonsense surrounding it. So fed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

50% of my facebook feed is Conor McGregor again. I like watching the fights live but **** all the nonsense surrounding it. So fed up.

Facebook has gone to pot in general. You're lucky if 20% of your news feed is actually of any interest to you at all. Instead it's all pictures that friends of yours have liked of people you don't know doing things you don't care about or those self-help "If someone doesn't love you..." crap. I've all but given up on the thing at this stage.

And don't get me started on those "squint your eyes and look at this bundle of colours for 10 seconds to see the amazing image" nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Facebook has gone to pot in general. You're lucky if 20% of your news feed is actually of any interest to you at all. Instead it's all pictures that friends of yours have liked of people you don't know doing things you don't care about or those self-help "If someone doesn't love you..." crap. I've all but given up on the thing at this stage.

And don't get me started on those "squint your eyes and look at this bundle of colours for 10 seconds to see the amazing image" nonsense.

Yeah, I'm on it less and less these days. Probably go on and check about once or twice a week as opposed to a couple of years ago when I was on it multiple times a day.

I'd delete it altogether but it's the only channel I have to some people that I want to stay in touch with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

boards has changed it's design and I do not like it, change it back please

b.gud wrote: »
    boards has changed it's design and I do not like it, change it back please

click "legacy site" at the top right of the page.

It's mank.

Oh god. I fear change.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Ncps luas Park and ride

you know what you have to do
    talk to Joe

Let's see how much of the screen we can possibly waste

EDIT

fUMYbO5.png

WHY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

It doesn't seem very popular in any of the forums I frequent... Normally I'd put it down to people not liking change but in this instance I think there might be a case for it actually being pretty rubbish...

The colours are bad.

Very light grey + white background does not work.

I'd prefer something like this: http://imgur.com/3ixR15M

If they get rid of the legacy site I think we'll need a chrome extension to remove the padding and max-width from that style sheet!

If they get rid of the legacy site I think we'll need a chrome extension to remove the padding and max-width from that style sheet!

Have you not got the full page width setting turned on? If you do there is no space at either side.

Same for the current site.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=appearancesettings

"use full width" about half way down.

awec wrote: »

Have you not got the full page width setting turned on? If you do there is no space at either side.

Same for the current site.
    Nope, didn't know it existed until now! Why didn't you tell me before?

Nope, didn't know it existed until now! Why didn't you tell me before?

I thought everyone knew!

The fixed width site drives me nuts, I have a very high res display and it means I just have this small column in the centre of the screen.

Facebook is a really bad offender for this. Facebook takes up less than 50% of the horizontal space on my display, a complete joke.

I would like boards to introduce multiple columns when the display size is wide enough. Would be useful to browse multiple things at once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

This is rubbish. I now have to scan about two feet over from thread titles to see who the last poster was. Getting a crick in my neck already!

Strange, I has Zzippy on ignore but I can see his posts again, I'll have to make a complaint

Strange, I has Zzippy on ignore but I can see his posts again, I'll have to make a complaint

Ha I already logged that bug when I started seeing a certain user's posts again

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »

Ha I already logged that bug when I started seeing a certain user's posts again
    Oh is that a real bug?

Yahtzee!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Site hasn't changed for me?

I have it on the black/grey settings, like it as it is.

I switched back to legacy.

I really tried to use the new design, but just couldn't do it

b.gud wrote: »
    I switched back to legacy.

I really tried to use the new design, but just couldn't do it

You won't have a choice within a few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Is that IBS fella still posting on the forum? Y'know, the English lad that has the hots for Mark McCafferty...

Zzippy wrote: »
    Is that IBS fella still posting on the forum? Y'know, the English lad that has the hots for Mark McCafferty...

Pretty sure he is Mark McCafferty.

His 'Not Mark McCafferty' statement is fooling nobody

• Advertisement

IBS?

Are you calling him Irritable Bowel Syndrome?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Berk! The awful attempt at a redesigned website had me clicking on "legacy" within seconds.

If it ain't broke, don't fcukin fix it.

awec wrote: »

IBS?

Are you calling him Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
    It's not original, nor is it very smart. A real shame.

Synode wrote: »
    You won't have a choice within a few months

I figure as much which is why I actually tried to use it but after 10 minutes I just had to go with the legacy version.

I'm going to use it, but I'd like the Quick Post section to be a bit better.

By the way everyone make sure you use the "full page width" option, in the settings of your account. Some absolute fools dont even know it exists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Berk! The awful attempt at a redesigned website had me clicking on "legacy" within seconds.

There's an Ireland/Schmidt quip to be made here but I'll be damned if I can do it justice.

Prince is dead, unexpected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I've done a few of those from the other side and they ain't fun. People do not like change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

P_1 wrote: »
    I've done a few of those from the other side and they ain't fun. People do not like change!

I'm not a stick in the mud or against change. But for a site like this I value usability over being pretty. So far my impression is "fail".

I would have thought the first step would be to survey users to see what they want rather than imposing...

I suppose given what's in the news I should say the website formerly known as boards...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The touch site is wretched. The page numbers all on top o on another and a floaty avatar.

0 UI testing done before rollout. As per ****ing usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I'm not a stick in the mud or against change. But for a site like this I value usability over being pretty. So far my impression is "fail".

I would have thought the first step would be to survey users to see what they want rather than imposing...

I suppose given what's in the news I should say the website formerly known as boards...

Ah I know what you mean. Often what seems like a great idea in a dev's head falls flat on its face when it actually has to be used.

I'm going to use it, but I'd like the Quick Post section to be a bit better.

By the way everyone make sure you use the "full page width" option, in the settings of your account. Some absolute fools dont even know it exists

On a big screen I prefer the fixed width. Too wide and spreadout otherwise

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Screw this, it's unusable. I give up

Screw this, it's unusable. I give up

I'm going to give it a day. If I switch back I will tell them why.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I haven't noticed any difference to the site.

Also sad news about Prince. Why are we losing all the good artists? FFS take Beiber!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement