Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Buer wrote: »
    The anniversary of the first ever radio broadcast was a very cool little moment on radio. 37 stations simultaneously playing the broadcast at the exact minute 100 years to the day it went out.

Shame it was so poorly publicised.
    I found it creepy as hell

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

What do we make of all these golfers not going to the Olympics?

Schwartzel is the latest to say he's not going. Oosthuizen withdrew last week. Adam Scott and Vijay Singh have both also said they're not playing.

Personally I don't think golf should be in the Olympics or if it is it should be amateur only. The Olympics should be the absolute pinnacle of a sport and for golf it obviously isn't. Same goes for tennis but there isn't really an amateur level there so not sure how you could change that one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Did they give a reason? (Beyond they just don't care).

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Did they give a reason? (Beyond they just don't care).

All a variety of family and scheduling commitments. It seems very much like they can't be arsed interrupting whatever they had planned for that part of the year to go to Rio.

I wonder if Rory is kicking himself that he didn't think to cite scheduling and withdraw before picking a country :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I don't see the problem with tennis or golf being there. You want the best of the best competing, and pro golfers and tennis players are just that

Synode wrote: »
    I don't see the problem with tennis or golf being there. You want the best of the best competing, and pro golfers and tennis players are just that

It's the fact that it's not the most important event they can ever play. You could argue for some individuals the Olympics are super important but for others they clearly aren't. In sports like athletics and swimming, for example, the Olympics are what it's all about, they go in four year cycles, everything they do is for the Olympics. Golf is about Majors and Masters and the Olympics are not the pinnacle for them. Maybe if golf was an ever present in the Olympics it would become as important to the sport as it is to others. Can't see it myself though. Same with tennis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Nah tennis sucks at the Olympics. No-one really cares. Golf will be the same.

Sports like squash miss out, despite being innovative.

Please name the gold medal winners of the 2012 Olympics singles winners...it might have been Murray from memory. Females - no clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

What do we make of all these golfers not going to the Olympics?

Schwartzel is the latest to say he's not going. Oosthuizen withdrew last week. Adam Scott and Vijay Singh have both also said they're not playing.

Personally I don't think golf should be in the Olympics or if it is it should be amateur only. The Olympics should be the absolute pinnacle of a sport and for golf it obviously isn't. Same goes for tennis but there isn't really an amateur level there so not sure how you could change that one.
    Shame but I don't think limiting it to amateur only should happen. There is plenty of other sports where it isn't the pinnacle but I don't see why some should change.
    Soccer is played at under 23 level with some older players eligible to play but its far from the pinnacle of the sport. Should soccer be removed. It isn't pinnacle in basketball either. Would you remove either of those sports?

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Nah tennis sucks at the Olympics. No-one really cares. Golf will be the same.

Sports like squash miss out, despite being innovative.

Please name the gold medal winners of the 2012 Olympics singles winners...it might have been Murray from memory. Females - no clue.

Murray - Gold (also mixed doubles silver)
    Federer - Silver
    Del Potro - Bronze

Serena - Gold (also women's doubles gold)
    Sharapova - Silver
    Azarenka - Bronze (also mixed doubles gold)

Funnily enough I think the Olympics actually mattered a fair bit to some of the players. The two who got bronze were happier than the ones that got gold, and the two that finished 4th were devastated.

Shame but I don't think limiting it to amateur only should happen. There is plenty of other sports where it isn't the pinnacle but I don't see why some should change.
    Soccer is played at under 23 level with some older players eligible to play but its far from the pinnacle of the sport. Should soccer be removed. It isn't pinnacle in basketball either. Would you remove either of those sports?

I would probably remove soccer, to be honest, although the way they do it with the age limits makes it better.

For international basketball it probably is the pinnacle. There are lots of leagues outside the NBA which have big followings in their respective countries but I'm not sure there's an international competition with the same prestige as the Olympics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'm sure it's a completely unconnected coincidence that they have comprehensive WADA-approved drug testing at the Olympics... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

With the amount of unbelievable parties and rampant sex that happens in the Olympic village I'd be shocked if McIlroy even considered not going.

errlloyd wrote: »
    With the amount of unbelievable parties and rampant sex that happens in the Olympic village I'd be shocked if McIlroy even considered not going.

Maybe that's why the other golfers aren't going :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Maybe that's why the other golfers aren't going :eek:

No, I believe all golfers love a good hole in one!

*Gets Coat

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

As a sports fan the events I watch at the Olympics are the pure Olympic sports, I wouldn't watch tennis, golf or football.

Prob won't watch the Sevens either.

The 'pinnacle' test is the good one I think.

If the Olympic Gold isn't the pinnacle of achievement in the sport, then the sport is a questionable inclusion at the Olympics imo.

The 'pinnacle' test is the good one I think.

If the Olympic Gold isn't the pinnacle of achievement in the sport, then the sport is a questionable inclusion at the Olympics imo.

I agree and if you look at the reasons being given by the golfers pulling out it is clear it's not that important to them. Their schedules are too busy or whatever when, as I said already, athletes in other sports have their entire lIves built around a 4 year cycle and make huge sacrifices where their families and personal lIves are concerned and everything they do from they're young kids is geared towards the Olympics.

That's not to say all the golfers feel that way about the Olympics and they might quite like to get a gold medal but I bet they would all prefer a green jacket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Daily rugby forum McGregor update, Sponsored by the Send Molloyjh Back to Syria Fund:

Nate Diaz has pulled out of UFC 200, sounds like the final nail in the coffin. Rumour has it that the main event will be announced shortly and it won't feature either. Tickets go on sale tomorrow so if they're going to pull out the big McGregor surprise it's surely going to happen this evening!

I'm about to buy a concert ticket from someone via paypal... anybody ever done this? It seems safe with paypal's Buyers Protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

ah rats, didn't realise that last weeks episode was the season finale to Better Call Saul
    was really looking forward to watching this weeks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

wp_rathead wrote: »
    ah rats, didn't realise that last weeks episode was the season finale to Better Call Saul
    was really looking forward to watching this weeks :(

Yeah particularly with the character that they potentially set up to make an appearance

For a brief moment there I had Mod powers in the rugby forum. Only over certain posters though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The whole of the Politics Cafe forum has been closed, anyone know why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The whole of the Politics Cafe forum has been closed, anyone know why?

The feedback thread has actually been packed with talk about it all day.
    Myrddin wrote: »
    Folks this tread started out as a place to give feedback re technical issues affecting the site. Then it served to cater for updates & info re the DDoS the site suffered. Then it changed to become feedback on the new beta. Now it's about the temporary closure of the cafe. It's become a very vague & general feedback thread for anything & everything, which as feedback goes, is a real nightmare to gain anything positive from.

The Cafe has been temporarily closed to allow the forum to undergo a transition. It's gotten pretty bad in there by all accounts, so the mods have requested it be temp closed while they have a chat between themselves, the Cmods, & the Admin team, to figure out how to turn the place around. That can't be done while they have to actively moderate, and this closure will give an opportunity to make some functional changes to how the forum operates. That's literally all there is to it. It'll be back open before long, but for now, it's closed for new posts. I'm not sure how that rogue post got in, but will check it out.

In terms of this thread, it'll likely be closed off soon as the original topic of the thread has been resolved. We'll move any Beta related chat to a proper Beta feedback thread so nothing will be lost. The cafe chat doesn't belong here though, & if it turns into pages of posts about the Cafe this thread will be closed immediately.

http://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057503701/140?#editor

Stheno went nuts

• Advertisement

Me and Emmet will have to go over there and show them how it's done

Personally I felt After Hours went to the dogs when they enforced the "All Politic Threads Will Be Moved to Politics Cafe"

Now Politics Cafe is just the same small group of people arguing over the same issues thread after thread- and After Hours is just, well, crap

Me and Emmet will have to go over there and show them how it's done

I've already been there, gave it a shot at trying to show them, but am certainly not for repeating it!

Voiced a lot of issues with the "Two Tier" politics idea when it was first suggested to have a "politics" that was moderated appropriately and "café" that was not, and quelle surprise it all happened according to most people's expectations. The 'debate' fell down to the lowest possible level and the signal to noise ratio is absolutely irrelevantly small.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95983088&postcount=2552
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95984074&postcount=2553

etc etc.

The guys in there these days would pour scorn on us giving up that thread that must not be reopened ibf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I gave it a run in there for a while too but I decided I'd rather bang my head off a wall. I'm far happier now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I enjoy popping into the Political Cafe for voyeuristic pleasure. The anger, parochialism, delusions and vitriol is insane. I can't believe people get that wound up over politics. After all,it's not as if it's as important or even as interesting as rugby and we are much more civil to each other.

• Advertisement

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I enjoy popping into the Political Cafe for voyeuristic pleasure. The anger, parochialism, delusions and vitriol is insane. I can't believe people get that wound up over politics. After all,it's not as if it's as important or even as interesting as rugby and we are much more civil to each other.

What's the political cafe? And more importantly, the mods closed it due to constant bickering, you say??? Interesting...

Latest: Mod of Political Cafe have turned down a 23% pay rise and boards.ie have put them on protective notice

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Stheno went nuts

I lolled
    Zzippy wrote: »
    What's the political cafe? And more importantly, the mods closed it due to constant bickering, you say??? Interesting...

No it's being reviewed :)
    Latest: Mod of Political Cafe have turned down a 23% pay rise and boards.ie have put them on protective notice

23% is only a gram of coke and a quarter of a hooker :pac:

Stheno wrote: »

23% is only a gram of coke and a quarter of a hooker :pac:

Must be an easy forum to mod so. The rugby mods get unlimited quantities of both... ;)

Must be an easy forum to mod so. The rugby mods get unlimited quantities of both... ;)

That's a one-time deal I did for you (in return for keeping certain threads open...). Let's not go running mouths

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I reckon you'd be a dab hand modding the PC after this place :)

Stheno wrote: »
    I reckon you'd be a dab hand modding the PC after this place :)

I feel like she's insulting us fine folk round here.

I feel like she's insulting us fine folk round here.

Yeah! Noone calls us unruly! Get her!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

simpsons-pitchforks.jpg

molloyjh wrote: »
    simpsons-pitchforks.jpg

crying-baby_2-290x290.jpg

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    simpsons-pitchforks.jpg

Back off! I've got a chainsaw..... Brrrrraaaammammmammmammm

chainsaw-homer-o.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Back off! I've got a chainsaw..... Brrrrraaaammammmammmammm

chainsaw-homer-o.gif

My eldest girl watched that Homer chainsaw moment and the tears ran down her face with laughter.

mfceiling wrote: »
    My eldest girl watched that Homer chainsaw moment and the tears ran down her face with laughter.

It's the funniest part of the whole film. I laugh every time I see it.

I had kinda fallen outa love with the Marvel movies lately (thought the last Avengers film was awful) but holy sh!t Civil War is fantastic

mfceiling wrote: »

Good sense of humour that girl. God knows where she got it from.... :p

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

In Czech republic at the moment. Walk into bar, ask for a beer.

30 koruna please.

*googles 30 koruna in euro*

1 euro.

Aye I suppose that's alright then...

wp_rathead wrote: »
    I had kinda fallen outa love with the Marvel movies lately (thought the last Avengers film was awful) but holy sh!t Civil War is fantastic

Yeah I didn't think the last Avengers film was good at all either. Glad to hear this one (it is an Avengers film!) is better. Might actually give it a look.

Why do I need to have a letter from my GP to get an ultrasound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

awec wrote: »
    Aye I suppose that's alright then...

In that case, make that a **** load of beer, please.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

In that case, make that a **** load of beer, please.

Been on the beer all afternoon, think I've spent a tenner. Wouldn't even buy your kebab on the way home in Dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement