Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

What actually happened:

Awec - Hello there, I'd like a beer please

Czech - 30 koruna sir

Awec - No a Harp actually if you have it

Czech - Yes sir, 30 koruna

Awec - No I don't want Corona, and I only want one, and make it a Harp

Czech - Yes sir, no problem

*Man pours pint*

Czech - That is 30 koruna please sir

Awec - Are you mad? That is one Harp?!

and so on...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Why do I need to have a letter from my GP to get an ultrasound

You need a letter from your GP to get anything done. It's to stop people clogging up casualty or whatever it's called. It's a pain in the arse. I had to get an x-ray done a few months ago, it was pretty damn obvious there was something wrong with my wrist but I still had to pay €50 to go the my GP and all she did was say "oh! Yeah... you need an x-ray" and that was it.

Unless of course you're pregnant.... I'm not sure how you go about getting Ultrasounds then.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

awec wrote: »
    In Czech republic at the moment. Walk into bar, ask for a beer.

30 koruna please.

*googles 30 koruna in euro*

1 euro.

Aye I suppose that's alright then...

Cue barman kicking himself for not saying 100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

awec wrote: »
    In Czech republic at the moment. Walk into bar, ask for a beer.

30 koruna please.

*googles 30 koruna in euro*

1 euro.

Aye I suppose that's alright then...

Brussels next week for me, beer and chocolate... Happy as a pig in the brown stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Brussels next week for me, beer and chocolate... Happy as a pig in the brown stuff

Remember being in a bar in Brussels about 14 years ago and they had something like 1200 different beers!!

Tried them all....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ronan-o-gara-to-be-inducted-into-irupa-hall-of-fame-1.2628201

I thought this was interesting. O Gara to be included in the hall of fame.
    But what grinds my gears, its says,
    "Ronan O’Gara kicks a late drop goal to beat Wales and clinch the Grand Slam for Ireland in 2011"

And the pic isnt even of that match, different jersey, and by his stance, it looks like a place kick. Wreck the head that the irishtimes can make mistakes like that.

Just watching the NFL Draft, pundit quote:

"When he figures out how to play the game, he'll be a real weapon."

The bar is obviously set pretty highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The bar is obviously set pretty highly.

I know you're being facetious but whilst It's the same sport it really is a different game when players go from college to the NFL.

The playbook alone is a vastly more complicated and in depth entity stretching to hundreds of pages. A lot of rookies struggle to nail it down and end up cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Went for a run this morning in the snow, lovely summer weather!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You need a letter from your GP to get anything done. It's to stop people clogging up casualty or whatever it's called. It's a pain in the arse. I had to get an x-ray done a few months ago, it was pretty damn obvious there was something wrong with my wrist but I still had to pay €50 to go the my GP and all she did was say "oh! Yeah... you need an x-ray" and that was it.

Unless of course you're pregnant.... I'm not sure how you go about getting Ultrasounds then.

If you go to the GP and get a letter referring you to A&E, they don't charge you the A&E charge of ~€100. Works out cheaper ;)

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    I know you're being facetious but whilst It's the same sport it really is a different game when players go from college to the NFL.

The playbook alone is a vastly more complicated and in depth entity stretching to hundreds of pages. A lot of rookies struggle to nail it down and end up cut.

Hey Buer, I was being facetious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Yes.

Hey Buer, I was being facetious!

You think I'll pass up an opportunity to pontificate?!

wp_rathead wrote:
    I had kinda fallen outa love with the Marvel movies lately (thought the last Avengers film was awful) but holy sh!t Civil War is fantastic

It's fantastic. Part Avengers, part Bourne. Really well made given the number of characters competing for screen time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

It's fantastic. Part Avengers, part Bourne. Really well made given the number of characters competing for screen time.

Yup the Russo brother's really are making a name for themselves between Civil War and Winter Soilder - delighted they down for directing the next two Avenger movies.
    They were heavily involved in the show Community hence why actors from that keep popping up (Abed and the Dean)

wp_rathead wrote:
    Yup the Russo brother's really are making a name for themselves between Civil War and Winter Soilder - delighted they down for directing the next two Avenger movies. They were heavily involved in the show Community hence why actors from that keep popping up (Abed and the Dean)

Spotted the Dean but never noticed Abed anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Spotted the Dean but never noticed Abed anywhere?

He is in Winter Soilder

Ah here. FFS.

Ah here. FFS.

Ah here what?

You're not going to call that post a spoiler are you?

• Advertisement

Ah here what?

You're not going to call that post a spoiler are you?

Absolutely.

It's like someone going to see a film and telling people there's a twist in it.

It's absolutely nothing like that but since we appear to be so sensitive I'll remove it.

And sure Leicester have just become Premier league champions...

mfceiling wrote: »
    And sure Leicester have just become Premier league champions...

I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say it's probably the single greatest sporting achievement I can think of off the top of my head.

Delighted for Leicester and especially for Marc Albrighton. Released by Villa at the end of 2014 now he's got a Premier League winners medal and Villa are gearing up for a season in the Championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Delighted for Leicester and especially for Marc Albrighton. Released by Villa at the end of 2014 now he's got a Premier League winners medal and Villa are gearing up for a season in the Championship.

Please, it's hard enough being a Villa fan without people rubbing it in :(

Synode wrote: »
    Please, it's hard enough being a Villa fan without people rubbing it in :(

I'm not rubbing it in. I'm a Villa fan too :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say it's probably the single greatest sporting achievement I can think of off the top of my head.

Without exaggerating, it's the most impressive sporting achievement of all time that I can think of.

Anyone thing of something better?

Without exaggerating, it's the most impressive sporting achievement of all time that I can think of.

People are comparing it to Forest winning back to back European Cups. There may have been a difference in class back then but the whole issue of clubs buying trophies wasn't around back then. I think this tops it.

Just saw on Twitter that apparently Leicester's whole team cost £25million.

• Advertisement

BBC's list of other "sporting shocks"
    Brian Clough's Nottingham Forest side were promoted to the top flight, won the league and then won two European Cups in consecutive seasons between 1976 and 1980.

Baseball's Boston Red Sox finally triumphed in the 2004 World Series - 86 years after their last win.

Unseeded 17-year-old German Boris Becker became the youngest player to win the Wimbledon tennis tournament with victory in 1985.

Chain-smoking rookie reserve John Daly won the 1991 US PGA golf championship after being drafted in as a late replacement.

Undisputed, undefeated boxing heavyweight champion of the world Mike Tyson was knocked out by flu-ridden 'stooge' Buster Douglas in Tokyo, 1990.

I was having a beer with the father in law yesterday. He's a GAA man through and through and I was trying to put it into context. I said it would be about as likely as New York winning the All Ireland.

They were in The Championship 2 years ago. They were 6 points above relegation last season and were odds on for it going into the last stages of the season.

Someone said it's like Greece in 2004 to me but it's far, far more unlikely than that. 5000/1. It would be like Ireland winning the GS, RWC and a clean sweep series in NZ in the space of 7 months....actually you'd probably get better odds on that.

The Red Sox one would only count if they won the Super Bowl.

Wouldn't really agree with their list.

Notts Forest would be the only one that's on a similar level there, for me and still not as impressive given money wasn't nearly as influential then. Forest actually broke the transfer record in that period when they signed Trevor Francis, I believe.

The Red Sox were a very strong team going into 2004. The back story of the Buster Douglas win makes his victory far less surprising. Tyson was a sham in the build up and those in the know were very dubious about his prospects.

Daly and Becker have merit but certainly not on the same level. Becker was a very hot prospect in tennis at the time. He was a top 20 player but not seeded at Wimbledon. Daly's victory is impressive but I struggle to rate a single golfing achievement too highly given it's over such a short period of time.

It's up there with Michelle Smyth winning three gold medals

It's actually amazing when you think about it. In almost all sports there is a chance for the underdog to win, but for Leicester they had to have the consistency to do it over 38 games!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Wouldn't really agree with their list.

Notts Forest would be the only one that's on a similar level there, for me and still not as impressive given money wasn't nearly as influential then. Forest actually broke the transfer record in that period when they signed Trevor Francis, I believe.

The Red Sox were a very strong team going into 2004. The back story of the Buster Douglas win makes his victory far less surprising. Tyson was a sham in the build up and those in the know were very dubious about his prospects.

Daly and Becker have merit but certainly not on the same level. Becker was a very hot prospect in tennis at the time. He was a top 20 player but not seeded at Wimbledon. Daly's victory is impressive but I struggle to rate a single golfing achievement too highly given it's over such a short period of time.

In golfing terms I would maybe put Shane Lowry winning the Irish Open as an amateur up there, but agree on the others. I can't think of any sporting upset in my lifetime to surpass this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

It's up there with Michelle Smyth winning three gold medals

Even more comparable if that doctor's claims of who he was giving PEDs to are true

Where would Connacht winning the Pro 12 rank in comparison to Leicester?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zzippy wrote: »
    In golfing terms I would maybe put Shane Lowry winning the Irish Open as an amateur up there, but agree on the others. I can't think of any sporting upset in my lifetime to surpass this.

Speaking of golf, the Miracle at Medinah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

34th America's cup

New Zealand were leading 8-1 in a best of 9 series and had been fairly dominant. America won 9-8. That is a pretty sick turn around.

• Advertisement

Japan win over SA is surely up there. Of course that's a one off game as opposed to a consistent performance over a 38 game season...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

errlloyd wrote: »
    34th America's cup

New Zealand were leading 8-1 in a best of 9 series and had been fairly dominant. America won 9-8. That is a pretty sick turn around.

Actually that would be close to it alright.

It was like watching a horror show for the NZ team

Not in the same league IMO.

Stheno wrote: »
    Actually that would be close to it alright.

It was like watching a horror show for the NZ team

I can't find real bookies odds for what the betting on USA actually was when they were 8-1 down, but assuming you gave the USA a 50/50 chance in each remaining race then they effectively had to win 8 coin tosses in a row. The odds of that are 250/1

Kimi Raikonnen winning the 2007 F1 world championship must have looked pretty wildly unlikely with two races to go.

He was 17 points behind first (with 20 to play for), and he was 5 points second. Hamilton (1st) had never not finished a race, and had only finished lower than 5th once in his career. McLaren had no break downs that entire season, the only non finish was Alonso crashing in the rain.

Hamilton actually led most of the next grand prix, before famously sliding off the track because he wore out his tyres fighting for 1st when 5th would have made him world champion. Kimi won with Alonso second, meaning he was still in third place on the final race in Brazil.

In the final race he needed Hamilton to come 7th or lower and Alonso to come 3rd or lower. They came 7th and 3rd. Season finished up with him on 110, and the other two on 109.

34th America's cup

Was that a collapse on NZs part or something superhuman by the Americans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

34th America's cup

Except at 8-1 down the Yanks took a time out and made changes to their boat. There's questions about how legal those changes were. It would be like if Leicester had gone on a spending spree in the Jan transfer window with money they didn't have.

The only sports stories like it that I can think of are Kurt Warner winning the Super Bowl MVP when he was playing arena league football a couple of years earlier. And UTEP winning the NCAA Basketball Championship in 1966 with an all black team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

There was also that time the top 10 sides in world rugby did a home/away round robin, and Scotland surprisingly finished first with 15 wins (including the double over NZ), a draw, and 2 defeats.

It wouldn't. Extremely unlikely at the outset but the Leicester achievement is on a totally other level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

I think all the stars aligned this year for Leicester to win the epl. A horrible season for the big 4 and the lowest points total to win it in 20 years.
    But still, a huge achievement and up there with Man Utd doing the treble in 99-00 as the greatest epl memory I have

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Except at 8-1 down the Yanks took a time out and made changes to their boat. There's questions about how legal those changes were. It would be like if Leicester had gone on a spending spree in the Jan transfer window with money they didn't have.

The only sports stories like it that I can think of are Kurt Warner winning the Super Bowl MVP when he was playing arena league football a couple of years earlier. And UTEP winning the NCAA Basketball Championship in 1966 with an all black team.

Calling them yanks if fairly generous! At 8-1 down they replaced their entire team with Brits, kiwis and Aussies who tinkered with the boat and got the win.

But that isn't unlike Leicster. I know Leicster's team is cheap, but it's not the cheapest team in the premiership. And in all departments other than playing staff they're brilliantly well resourced.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement