Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Tbh I can see an FF Taoiseach in the Dail after this one.

Which is a damning indictment of....something. I'm just not entirely sure what.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Which is a damning indictment of....something. I'm just not entirely sure what.

It's a bleedin' disgrace so it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

stephen_n wrote: »
    Seemingly they won't be making any more. Despite a rather large internet following it only averaged 2 million viewers per episode on tv.

Really? I hope that they can get enough interest from Netflix etc to keep it going, it's a brilliant show.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Seemingly they won't be making any more. Despite a rather large internet following it only averaged 2 million viewers per episode on tv.

People still watch things on TV? :pac:

I actually thought it was a Netflix show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

People still watch things on TV? :pac:

I actually thought it was a Netflix show.

Quite rarely for me but, because it was on BBC, ie no ads, I did actually watch it live last night

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Netflix might buy over the production of it I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Z Nation has been added to Netflix there recently. Really enjoying, it's good garbage TV. Doesn't take itself seriously and is a bit of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

What is it with websites and popups these days. Seems like when you go on to 90% of websites, you get a couple of seconds then a giant popup appears asking you to register/rate etc etc. Drives me nuts

Teferi wrote: »
    Z Nation has been added to Netflix there recently. Really enjoying, it's good garbage TV. Doesn't take itself seriously and is a bit of fun.

I found it enjoyable enough until the baby came along in season 2 (?). It lost me at that point. Haven't watched it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

Dark Souls 3 on the PS4, lost a lot of my week to that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

T... V...? Is that some sort of web address or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

So, have we finally got a government?

Zzippy wrote: »
    So, have we finally got a government?

Can't believe Enda is back in. He needs to be replaced ASAP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Synode wrote: »
    Can't believe Enda is back in. He needs to be replaced ASAP

With who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

With who?

This lad couldn't do a worse job...

8AOacOOQ.jpg

I'm voting for Gerry Adams forever after that amazing "Enda-pendent" pun

With who?

Favourites would be Coveney or Varadker. I don't care who replaces him as long as he's replaced. I can't stand him and I voted FG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Meanwhile...a Muslim mayor for London...and 2 fingers at Isis.

As for Ireland, it's hard to see this government lasting too long, I'd say FF would be dead keen to go back to the polls, but don't want to be seen as having caused another election so soon.

I always found Enda Kenny spoke like he was educated at Eton, even though he's from Mayo. I think you get what you vote for, and personally I find the Irish system poor with TDs routinely favouring their local Parish over the Irish Nation, it would be better to have at least some of the TDs elected on a nationwide party vote and not be beholden to their local electorate. At least that way you'd get some progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Michael Lowry in government. Ugh, ugh and ugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I think Enda is probably responsible for FG losing quite a few votes this time round. He's really not popular with the electorate, having the charisma of a block of blue cheese doesn't help.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Muslim mayor for London is great and all but they could have had a Mayor Pidgeon! I know who I would have voted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

10 points to Gerry for the Enda-pendents dog, that one could well stick.

-10 points for FG and FF, two parties separated by one letter/treaty who managed to make it sound like they are totally and completely actually different from each other, what with one being centre-right and the other being right-of-centre.

FF are playing this whole thing brilliantly. They know it's better to bide their time and wait for the next election. They managed to get the water bills suspended (put on the long finger) before "supporting" a minority government. Gerry and the Shinners will do their dirty work by opposing everything the government does and it won't be too long before the whole thing collapses and FF will be able to clean up at another election and form a majority government again. All without breaking a sweat.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

FF are playing this whole thing brilliantly. They know it's better to bide their time and wait for the next election. They managed to get the water bills suspended (put on the long finger) before "supporting" a minority government. Gerry and the Shinners will do their dirty work by opposing everything the government does and it won't be too long before the whole thing collapses and FF will be able to clean up at another election and form a majority government again. All without breaking a sweat.

Not sure about that logic.

By 'supporting' the minority government they are basically conceding the majority opposition to sinn Fein, by hamstringing themselves against speaking out against FG on the important issues.

FF voters in they last election voted for the abolition of water charges, not the suspension until a commission assessment. It's only SF who have actually stood by their election policies.
    Though they will never gain a critical mass until they get rid of the old guard and separate politically with their northern underbelly.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Not sure about that logic.

By 'supporting' the minority government they are basically conceding the majority opposition to sinn Fein, by hamstringing themselves against speaking out against FG on the important issues.

FF voters in they last election voted for the abolition of water charges, not the suspension until a commission assessment. It's only SF who have actually stood by their election policies.
    Though they will never gain a critical mass until they get rid of the old guard and separate politically with their northern underbelly.

Your logic implies people actually apply logic when voting. FF and FG are practically the same party anyway so I doubt they'll ever have to support anything too radically against their own policies.

The fact of the matter with the water charges is they can't really be abolished because of the deal we signed up to back in the early 2000's. We have to have some way of monitoring water usage and reducing waste and as nobody seems capable of coming up with a better idea the bills are here to stay. What most sensible people take issue with is the planned privatisation of Irish Water. If FF can guarantee that doesn't happen they will have satisfied a lot of voters.

• Advertisement

I'm certainly not going to get into any water charges argument here, but the whole IW setup was a disaster from the outset.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

SF providing strong opposition will gain them a lot of votes. Any loses subjected on FG in the next election will probably go to them and not FF. Adams is likely to step aside before the next election, he got 2016 which is probably a pay off. Even if we go again FF will have to choose between SF and FG as bedfellows if we are going to have a lasting government.

I'm certainly not going to get into any water charges argument here, but the whole IW setup was a disaster from the outset.

The actual setup was certainly. We still need them. Anyone who expected the setup not to be a disaster hasn't been paying attention to Irish politics in, well, ever. And what's worse is that now we have IW with no way to pay for it. So money will need to come out of the general tax take which impacts our ability to fund other things. Ain't populist BS grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Varadkar to Social Protection. Bit of a demotion there. Health done for him though, it's a poisoned chalice.

Health is a disaster, no minister can fix it because of the unions.

• Advertisement

Your new minister of health looks like he probably needs to shave about once a week...

Letting a kid born in 1986 (!) be a lamb to the slaughter. Big call.

Health is impossible - too many agendas from staff and the public.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Your new minister of health looks like he probably needs to shave about once a week...

Letting a kid born in 1986 (!) be a lamb to the slaughter. Big call.

Health is impossible - too many agendas from staff and the public.

a LOT of this cabinet is lamb's to the slaughter, I can see it being one of the shortest governments ever.

a LOT of this cabinet is lamb's to the slaughter, I can see it being one of the shortest governments ever.

Yeah, but anyway, since it's health

doogie-howser-411x375c.jpg...2014-12-03_bra_5102313_I1.JPG

I'd say they went to school together.

I also see Shane Ross has got himself into cabinet. Power huh. Will be interesting to see if his irritating self-righteousness comes to an end. Terrible teeth that chap - never trust a man who doesn't find time to brush at least once a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

swiwi_ wrote:
    Terrible teeth that chap - never trust a man who doesn't find time to brush at least once a day.

La dee dah.

Spot the bloke who played in the backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Buer wrote: »
    La dee dah.

"Never trust a man who doesn't moisturise daily" - Swiwi

Michael Lowry in government. Ugh, ugh and ugh.

Voting for the Taoiseach =\= being in government.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the inevitable first defection but I imagine FG put a bit of effort into making sure they weren't officially relying on him.

FF voters in they last election voted for the abolition of water charges, not the suspension until a commission assessment. It's only SF who have actually stood by their election policies..

They did in their hoop. FF don't care about the abolition of water charges. They're only happy they didn't get around to bringing them in before they fell out of government.

While I find the focus on water charges frustrating it is also rather fascinating how certain, obstensibly minor, issues gain such traction. Politics is weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

They did in their hoop. FF don't care about the abolition of water charges. They're only happy they didn't get around to bringing them in before they fell out of government.

While I find the focus on water charges frustrating it is also rather fascinating how certain, obstensibly minor, issues gain such traction. Politics is weird.

It was the final straw, Podge! THE FINAL STRAW!

Wasn't the USC which takes thousands from a household each year or the property tax which can be anything up to another thousand. It's the cost for a utility which requires a vast infrastructure to deliver and is in dire need of attention.

I hate all of the above because, well, taxes....but I was far more irritated by the property tax than the water charges.

This is very true in fairness.

• Advertisement

La dee dah.

Seriously, I was a bit shocked about dental hygiene in Ireland. With my job, we'd send people off for check-ups, and they'd come back minus several teeth.

If I was dating in Ireland, the "when did you last visit a dentist" question would be high on the list (even if it's a super weird Q to ask). The way I see it, if a chick isn't worried about dental hygiene, where else is she neglecting...

It was like a mate of mine at uni who always had his glasses covered with grime. I was like, dude, you're giving out wrong messages about personal care. Off-topic off-topic I know

Anyway I remember staring at Shane Ross' election posters in Dundrum, and thinking those teeth are mustard coloured buddy. And if was Minister of Health, free dental care would start at 5 for kids, if not earlier.

Shane Ross has an annoying accent. Way too polite.

If I was dating in Ireland, the "when did you last visit a dentist" question would be high on the list (even if it's a super weird Q to ask). The way I see it, if a chick isn't worried about dental hygiene, where else is she neglecting...

I didn't go to the dentist for a very long time, we're talking double digit years, and then I got a weird feeling between two teeth and had to go. He sorted the weird feeling and checked me over and said my teeth were in perfect condition and if only more people took as good care of their teeth as I do. So, not going to the dentist isn't necessarily a sign of poor personal hygiene. :D

It was the final straw, Podge! THE FINAL STRAW!

Wasn't the USC which takes thousands from a household each year or the property tax which can be anything up to another thousand. It's the cost for a utility which requires a vast infrastructure to deliver and is in dire need of attention.

I hate all of the above because, well, taxes....but I was far more irritated by the property tax than the water charges.

My mum is death on the property tax. She's always ranting about how she saved for years to get a deposit and they budgeted and did without to ensure they always had the mortgage payment there and now they're being punished for it now.

It bugs the hell out of me that people can be that organised and that persistent over the water charges but don't bother their arses when it comes to things they should be genuinely protesting about. Same goes for the "homeless crisis".

I have family in Donegal who have been unfortunate enough to have had cancer recently and they have to go all the way to Galway for treatment because the government had the brilliant idea of taking the treatment centres out of certain hospitals and sticking them into the teaching hospitals. There's a bus full of cancer patients goes from Letterkenny every Monday morning to Galway, some of the people on it have had to travel an hour or more to get to the bus before it even starts for Galway. The government were subsidising the bus for a while but have stopped that too. My auntie had to spend 7 weeks in Galway, only getting home on the weekends, for treatment that lasted about 20 minutes each day.

These are the kind of things people should be travelling in convoys to protest in Dublin about. These are the kinds of things TD's should be running campaigns on.

*climbs down off soapbox*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Seriously, I was a bit shocked about dental hygiene in Ireland. With my job, we'd send people off for check-ups, and they'd come back minus several teeth.

It was like a mate of mine at uni who always had his glasses covered with grime. I was like, dude, you're giving out wrong messages about personal care. Off-topic off-topic I know

Anyway I remember staring at Shane Ross' election posters in Dundrum, and thinking those teeth are mustard coloured buddy. And if was Minister of Health, free dental care would start at 5 for kids, if not earlier.

These foreigners come to our country, insult our women, and then feck off to the next place. Ya bleedin mercenary

That's deadful stuff Tickle_Me_Elmo. Health Service is an absolute mess. I know people who get collected and dropped off by taxi 3 times a week for dialysis. Each trip must cost at least €100 as the cab waits. I also know people who've gotten round trip taxis to Dublin from Carlow, all paid for by the HSE. Just seems like so much waste and there has to be a better solution

Synode wrote: »
    That's deadful stuff Tickle_Me_Elmo. Health Service is an absolute mess. I know people who get collected and dropped off by taxi 3 times a week for dialysis. Each trip must cost at least €100 as the cab waits. I also know people who've gotten round trip taxis to Dublin from Carlow, all paid for by the HSE. Just seems like so much waste and there has to be a better solution

There was an article on the Donegal situation a few years ago in the Irish Times. People often give out about Donegal and how they vote in elections and referendums but often it's not too hard to see why they don't have much time for the Government up there.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/cancer-the-toughest-journey-1.1321062

Trust me TMO, if you have cancer, you definitely want at least the initial diagnosis and treatment plan made in a university hospital. There're plenty of figures showing better treatment outcomes.

But afterwards, I agree that Tx should be able to take place locally.

And OK, so you brush and floss well. My compliments.

These foreigners come to our country, insult our women, and then feck off to the next place. Ya bleedin mercenary

PA-10340534-752x501.jpg

It's a dentist's wetdream. That's all I'm saying.

NB: when did you last go the dentist :D

• Advertisement

binge watched seasons 1 and 2 over a weekend last year..... brilliant program!

Binge watch Broadchurch series 1 (OK I'm miles behind the times, given it came out in 2013), but it's good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement