Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Approx. 20% of the population is not served by a public water supply. They have been paying for their water for many years. Must be bemusing and a little frustrating to see the rest of the country so exercised over having to pay for something that they never got for free...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Are they simply middle class people being cool with water charges or are they sensible analytical people who understand the problem that the State has and can see the viable solution?

bravo-gif-photos-26016502-480-360.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

opposition to water charges is just poors being irrational, glad we've cleared this up, if only they could be sensible and analytical like the middle classes

Swan Curry wrote: »
    opposition to water charges is just poors being irrational, glad we've cleared this up, if only they could be sensible and analytical like the middle classes

Present the sensible arguments against water charges and we can analyze them so.

Excellent false dichotomy btw.

Swan Curry wrote: »

Which is, of course, not what he said at all. Water charges are a sensible and logical step and something this country needs. The manner in which IW was set up was of course a total farce, but that doesn't take away from the fact that we need water charges. And pretty badly as it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

My vote goes to Emmet O'Two of the Middleclass Alliance Party

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

My vote goes to Emmet O'Two of the Middleclass Alliance Party

No no no you're supposed to disagree with him, no matter the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Not a tax, a charge. Do you call food bills a 'food tax'?

Jaysus Emmet. I posted that I fully agreed with the charges. All I was demonstrating is why the "sure we're just gonna pay for it anyway" argument needs more analysis.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Jaysus Emmet. I posted that I fully agreed with the charges. All I was demonstrating is why the "sure we're just gonna pay for it anyway" argument needs more analysis.

:confused:
    The difference between usc and water chargers is one is a flat rate and one is a percentage of income.

Michael O Leary and I pay the same water tax. We pay vastly different USC.
    I agree completely. It should be metered, that's the point. Even if it was though it'd still be a tax that his low income earners harder (proportionally) than usc. .

It's not a water tax. There's never been a water tax. There won't be a water tax.

There was just a pot of money that gets filled from various sources and some of it went towards water.
    The future version will be no money from that pot for water provision, instead the money for water provision comes from those that use it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Very serious discussion here chaps.

Boobs!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

awec wrote: »
    Boobs!

Boobs covered in water.

That Emmet has paid for.

I completely agree with him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Boobs!

Yeah....but we have to pay for them too!
    Down with boob charges!....... And bras too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Yeah....but we have to pay for them too!
    Down with boob charges!....... And bras too

"Up With Mini-Skirts"

What I want to know is how are we going to make up the shortfall now with no water charges and reduced income tax. Other departments/services will have to be hit. And you can be sure the same people who are clapping themselves on the back for this "victory" will be whinging about any cuts that come about as a result.

molloyjh wrote: »
    What I want to know is how are we going to make up the shortfall now with no water charges and reduced income tax. Other departments/services will have to be hit. And you can be sure the same people who are clapping themselves on the back for this "victory" will be whinging about any cuts that come about as a result.

It's alright it's been long enough now so everyone has forgotten. We can borrow it from the Germans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Boobs!

The pink tax is a disgrace.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I didn't realise we had such a class system in Ireland. I always thought there were the scroungers and people who actually work and then a few super rich banker types and Bono.

None of this middle class, lower class stuff.

I didn't realise we had such a class system in Ireland. I always thought there were the scroungers and people who actually work and then a few super rich banker types and Bono.

None of this middle class, lower class stuff.

There's a pretty sizeable middle class I'd say. And now we're banding together under the banner of Emmet's new "We are the 27%!" campaign.

There's a pretty sizeable middle class I'd say. And now we're banding together under the banner of Emmet's new "We are the 27%!" campaign.

It's just funny because in the UK "middle class" refers to people like Kate Middleton.

I suppose most people here are in the same bracket, working and just about getting by, there's a few below that and a few above it. And Bono.

It's just funny because in the UK "middle class" refers to people like Kate Middleton.

No it doesn't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

I suppose most people here are in the same bracket, working and just about getting by, there's a few below that and a few above it. And Bono.

Based on the way some people were talking about here in the run up to the wedding I thought Kate Middleton was a commoner :)

Ah the class system in the UK is a bit bonkers and isn't really based on financials either.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Ah the class system in the UK is a bit bonkers and isn't really based on financials either.

Listen mate I haven't spent the last 5 years trying to break into the club to have you p*ss all over it...

Listen mate I haven't spent the last 5 years trying to break into the club to have you p*ss all over it...

Listen, old chap. Would you mind awfully just buggering off to one of those other threads? I don't think you really fit in here, and to be quite honest, you never will... there's a good chap.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Listen, old chap. Would you mind awfully just buggering off to one of those other threads? I don't think you really fit in here, and to be quite honest, you never will... there's a good chap.

Half family are from Sligo so being talked down to by a Galway snob in this way hits a little bit too close to home

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Do us colonials have any class?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well in the normal world I've taken a couple of days off and managed to spread fertiliser. Move stock. Fix fencing and just about finished breaking a young horse.
    Great what you can do when the weather is good.

Back to work tomorrow. For a rest.

Sorry about that. It's just I'M FECKING SICK OF POLITICS.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Do us colonials have any class?

You're probably not really asking but.....

Don't know about New Zealand but I was watching a thing about Australia recently and they were talking to all these, what I would call, mid to upper class people and they were all priding themselves on how Australia has no class system but then they also refused to talk about it beyond saying it doesn't exist.

The program was tracing ancestors of Victorian poor people who had been transported and they were looking at the story of two sisters. One of the sisters had been sent to NSW and after serving her time found it very hard to work her way into any sort of decent life, basically because the British settlers, non convicts, had brought their class system with them. The other sister had been transported to Tasmania and because at that time it was purely a penal colony once prisoners had served their time they were able to work their way into all manner of jobs and public positions. Her descendants were all judges and lawyers and mayors and what have you. The family in NSW were just working class average Joes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Zzippy wrote: »
    I don't think you really fit in here, and to be quite honest, you never will... there's a good chap.

I've been saying the same to Connacht fans all season.

Buer wrote: »
    I've been saying the same to Connacht fans all season.

Ooh, that's a paddlin'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

You're probably not really asking but.....

Don't know about New Zealand but I was watching a thing about Australia recently and they were talking to all these, what I would call, mid to upper class people and they were all priding themselves on how Australia has no class system but then they also refused to talk about it beyond saying it doesn't exist.

The program was tracing ancestors of Victorian poor people who had been transported and they were looking at the story of two sisters. One of the sisters had been sent to NSW and after serving her time found it very hard to work her way into any sort of decent life, basically because the British settlers, non convicts, had brought their class system with them. The other sister had been transported to Tasmania and because at that time it was purely a penal colony once prisoners had served their time they were able to work their way into all manner of jobs and public positions. Her descendants were all judges and lawyers and mayors and what have you. The family in NSW were just working class average Joes.

I wasn't being serious but thanks for that.

I know NZ and probably Aus do have a bit of class system based on schools. But any real class system would be down to money.

:confused:
    The difference between usc and water chargers is one is a flat rate and one is a percentage of income.

Michael O Leary and I pay the same water tax. We pay vastly different USC.
    I agree completely. It should be metered, that's the point. Even if it was though it'd still be a tax that his low income earners harder (proportionally) than usc. .

It's not a water tax. There's never been a water tax. There won't be a water tax.
    Yes it is technically a charge, I used a colloquial name for it. You're like those lads on the cycling thread who go nuts every time someone says "Road tax" instead of "Motor tax". It still quite clearly says I agree with metering water!

Yes it is technically a charge, I used a colloquial name for it. You're like those lads on the cycling thread who go nuts every time someone says "Road tax" instead of "Motor tax". It still quite clearly says I agree with metering water!

While they do indeed go a bit over the top, the name of something can actually have a surprisingly large impact on how people view it.

Half family are from Sligo so being talked down to by a Galway snob in this way hits a little bit too close to home

So half your family are westies and the other half are nordies?

You must feel very aggrieved to have ended up a Dub?

Or extremely thankful he escaped either of the other two possibilities?

I'm sorry, what did you call me?

I'm sorry, what did you call me?

You're a Dub, no?

You're a Dub, no?

God no, could you not tell by my coherent sentence structure?

Here, what's that about bud, dya know like, c'mere teh me, go on.

• Advertisement

emmet said you were a dub with a howaya accent.

Where are you actually from? Kildare? Either way, you must feel aggrieved to have missed out on both nordie and westie status?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Where are you actually from? Kildare? Either way, you must feel aggrieved to have missed out on both nordie and westie status?

He's actually from Dundalk.
    I can hear his accent as he types

It's not technically a charge. It is a charge.

And it's definitely not a tax.

It's not technically a charge. It is a charge.

And it's definitely not a tax.

If you're being pedantic, I believe it's actually a fee. Not a charge.

Yes I was fortunate enough to be raised in Kildare.

Unlike most mixed marriages I managed to avoid most of the more unfortunate tendencies of the wildlings

Yes I was fortunate enough to be raised in Kildare.

Unlike most mixed marriages I managed to avoid most of the more unfortunate tendencies of the wildlings

Kildare is basically greater Dublin. Do you ever reminisce ibf and think about what could have been?

• Advertisement

If you're being pedantic, I believe it's actually a fee. Not a charge.

Charges and fees are pretty much synonyms, but I reckon it's more normal to use 'fees' for a service rendered, and 'charges' for goods. (meaning that most pay half in fees and half in charges! (as wastewater removal is the same price as potable water delivery))

Taxes however, are a very different prospect.

There is no element of the water charges that could be reasonably called a tax. You could if you were desperate to, point to the LPT being diverted to IW in order to subsidise the cost of water as being a Tax. That is a tax, that was directed to IW as a subvention, shielding the electorate from the full costs of Water Charges.

But no, the amount that people were asked to pay directly, based upon their metered usage, is absolutely not a tax.

Kildare is basically greater Dublin. Do you ever reminisce ibf and think about what could have been?

I've heard the North is actually greater Britain.

It's not really possible to reminisce about things that haven't happened but it is interesting to think about how much I might have missed out on

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He's actually from Dundalk.
    I can hear his accent as he types

Ye can heor ih in his ahcsent wen he talks
    He's a Leinster man from Dundalk

I've heard the North is actually greater Britain.

It's not really possible to reminisce about things that haven't happened but it is interesting to think about how much I might have missed out on

Well if you were from the North I believe you have rights to an unlimited amount of referee abuse credits......

I had to torrent Radiohead's new album. wtf Radiohead get your **** together. I'm actually paying for music for years now. Put it on spotify already.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement