Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I had to torrent Radiohead's new album. wtf Radiohead get your **** together. I'm actually paying for music for years now. Put it on spotify already.

It's on Tidal. So is Beyonces which is also really good by the way (I say that without a hint of sarcasm or embarrassment).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Yeah, but Tidal is awful though.

Teferi wrote: »
    Yeah, but Tidal is awful though.

Don't have a problem with it myself

I was really put off by their initial release. I'm reluctant to even try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Is there any crossover between the two? As in is most of what's on spotify on tidal? Or what's the other one... pandora?? I'm happy out with spotify for the most part, wouldn't have a ****ing notion of paying more than one subscription service for music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I've been using the Apple music free 3 month trial and have found it excellent. Just looked and Radiohead's new album is on it. Will give it a listen later

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Just reading this article from The Guardian about two kids who discovered their parents were Russian spies when the FBI raided their house in 2010. I didn't think this stuff still went on.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/07/discovered-our-parents-were-russian-spies-tim-alex-foley?CMP=share_btn_tw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Max Verstappen just won the Spanish grand prix. He's 18. Most 18 year olds don't have driving license.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just reading this article from The Guardian about two kids who discovered their parents were Russian spies when the FBI raided their house in 2010. I didn't think this stuff still went on.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/07/discovered-our-parents-were-russian-spies-tim-alex-foley?CMP=share_btn_tw

The Americans is partly based on them I think

The Americans is partly based on them I think

Yeah, it says so in the article. The creator has a background in the CIA but it was this case that inspired him. He set it back during the Cold War instead of now to have a bit more action.

I've only just started watching The Americans, it's why the article caught my eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Somebody in a security firm is going to have record levels of 'work fear' tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Somebody in a security firm is going to have record levels of 'work fear' tomorrow.

Better off just not going in and looking for a new job!

Does anyone ever listen to the Sporting Witness podcasts from BBC World Service?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00j2pn5

They basically look at key moments in sporting history by talking to people who actually took part or witnessed them. Some are more recent interviews and some are put together from archive recordings.

There's some really great stuff in there. Always amazes me how big an impact sport can have beyond just the sporting world.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So mfceiling, did you shed a tear last night at the passing of Barbara Windsor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

awec wrote: »
    So mfceiling, did you shed a tear last night at the passing of Barbara Windsor?

I had to look up the guardian there to see if she died. Did she die on a TV show? I remember her getting her baps out on carry on camping...

She died in Eastenders last night. I only know because Today FM were reporting it on the news yesterday.

Said baps in Carry on Camping:

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

mfceiling wrote: »
    I had to look up the guardian there to see if she died. Did she die on a TV show? I remember her getting her baps out on carry on camping...

Sure you did! I remember you telling me you were a big Eastenders fan.

Eastenders and Corrie is what you said! Said ye found big Liz McDonald fit.

awec wrote: »
    Sure you did! I remember you telling me you were a big Eastenders fan.

Eastenders and Corrie is what you said! Said ye found big Liz McDonald fit.

Big liz would take the horn off an anvil....

Only trouble is big Jim!!

Communion my arse...

Get the garden tidied, get all the painting done, go and collect the food and drink, get your suit dry cleaned, sweep up at the front and tidy the garden and front path, clean up downstairs and the playroom.

All this so an 8 year old can wear a dress and get money from her grandparents.

The biggest load of bollocks I've ever had the misfortune of being involved in...

• Advertisement

Communion my arse...

Get the garden tidied, get all the painting done, go and collect the food and drink, get your suit dry cleaned, sweep up at the front and tidy the garden and front path, clean up downstairs and the playroom.

All this so an 8 year old can wear a dress and get money from her grandparents.

The biggest load of bollocks I've ever had the misfortune of being involved in...

Was it not for something about god?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

get your suit dry cleaned

Hang er up in the shower, turn it on full blast as hot as it goes and close the door.

Basically the same thing!

Why do people still do this communion craic?

Why do people still do this communion craic?

Stupid school nonsense. We have no non denominational school near us so we're stuck with this crap.
    The sooner the church takes a back seat in this country the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

What do y'all think about the Brexit situation?

I'm aware this could end in dodgy territory regarding border control etc if UK votes out but its a worthwhile discussion to have I think.

Just living over on the mainland everyones talking about Brexit but I've heard very little said about implications to NI/ROI. Apart from EU subsidies to NI farms stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Don't have any kids myself but was chatting to someone at work this week about communions. He was saying that at the school his kids go to they proposed having the kids make their communion in their school uniforms to avoid the expense and one upmanship of the dresses. All the mothers were having none of it they wanted there little princess to have their day out

• Advertisement

Scythica wrote: »
    What do y'all think about the Brexit situation?

I'm aware this could end in dodgy territory regarding border control etc if UK votes out but its a worthwhile discussion to have I think.

Just living over on the mainland everyones talking about Brexit but I've heard very little said about implications to NI/ROI. Apart from EU subsidies to NI farms stopping.

The general feeling seems to be it would be quite bad for Irish business but I'm not sure I've seen any hard facts on it.

They'd have to set up customs checkpoints on the NI/ROI borders, I presume. Not sure what impact that would have on cross border business.

I've yet to hear a single concrete reason for it (just some ephemeral "sovereignty" nonsense).

Bit harder to know how it will affect Ireland. You would think there is a possibility of some benefit from being the sole primarily anglophone country in the EU but the whole thing will get so complicated. **** knows what will happen with the Common Travel Area and Northern Ireland, but it won't be good or easy.

I'm fairly sure Scotland would demand another referendum given the fear of being turfed out of the EU was one of the major points used to scaremonger a No vote the last time. The UK could fall apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Don't worry lads, I'm voting to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I'll be voting to stay in too but I've generally been dumbfounded at the level of the debate. I know that I probably shouldn't be so naive but so far as I can see it's largely being used as a proxy battle for control of the conservative party.

It would probably have a negative impact on Ireland in the short term as despite the assurances otherwise I would be afraid that France in particular would want to bloody les rosbif's nose to try and dissuade others from following their example. Ireland obviously does a lot of trading with the UK but I'd be surprised if anyone else in Europe would be hit to nearly the same extent and we simply don't have the influence to determine the outcome of trade negotiations with the UK should a decision be taken to leave the EU.

In the longer term I would speculate that you might see a shift in multi-national HQ's not so much current ones leaving the UK but new ones and new sites for existing ones opening up in Ireland with perhaps a shift in some back office function. The common travel area could well remain especially given that we're not part of Schengen. Again though if some countries in the EU felt like being vindictive this could be made awkward.

I'm just hoping that the speculation remains theoretical and doesn't have to be acted upon.

• Advertisement

Clearlier wrote: »
    I'll be voting to stay in too but I've generally been dumbfounded at the level of the debate. I know that I probably shouldn't be so naive but so far as I can see it's largely being used as a proxy battle for control of the conservative party.

It's a fight between Johnson and Cameron and it's a bit of a joke (I find it particularly odious because a lot of people don't think Johnson is even anti-EU, he's just a complete opportunist for power). It's not helped by Corbyn being head of Labour so they're taking a bit of a back seat.

The whole thing is a mess. Though I don't think we're in much position to complain about the level of debate considering what passed for debate (on both sides) for our various referenda on the EU treaties.

I was fishing with two older Welshmen yesterday, great conversation - fishing, rugby, fishing, women, fishing, jokes, fishing, politics. Both said they were voting to stay in although they had reservations about the EU. Both adamant it would pass (staying in) - apparently the bookies have a Brexit at 3.5 or thereabouts, Remain at 1.4. Would take a big turnaround in the next few weeks to change that.

Zzippy wrote: »
    I was fishing with two older Welshmen yesterday, great conversation - fishing, rugby, fishing, women, fishing, jokes, fishing, politics. Both said they were voting to stay in although they had reservations about the EU. Both adamant it would pass (staying in) - apparently the bookies have a Brexit at 3.5 or thereabouts, Remain at 1.4. Would take a big turnaround in the next few weeks to change that.

I'd be amazed if anyone doesn't. Mind you the UK refusing to actually get involved in it properly is part of the reason it sometimes runs contrary to their wishes.

Gotta say the bookies odds surprise me a bit. I was a lot more confident a few weeks ago - the polls are tightening and young people are lazy idiots who don't vote.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'd be amazed if anyone doesn't. Mind you the UK refusing to actually get involved in it properly is part of the reason it sometimes runs contrary to their wishes.

Gotta say the bookies odds surprise me a bit. I was a lot more confident a few weeks ago - the polls are tightening and young people are lazy idiots who don't vote.

Am amused by the claims that the EU isn't a democracy. Now, there are issues for sure but if I thought that we didn't take European elections seriously in Ireland they take it to a whole new level here in England. That said, a lot of that is due to an inability to see what elected representative do. The EU could market itself an awful lot better and it does need to stop and take stock of where it is and where it wants to go. It hasn't got a great track record of doing so.

There are valid arguments against EU membership but unfortunately the debate was hijacked at a very early stage by demagogue supreme. I think that as our technology and ability to communicate improves that society in general should move towards more direct democracy and localism but membership in the EU demands the opposite. That's just idealogicial stuff though. The only way a departure would work would be a clean break by a country in a strong position to negotiate trade and freedom of movement, that's definitely not something that applies to the UK.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There are valid arguments against EU membership but unfortunately the debate was hijacked at a very early stage by demagogue supreme. I think that as our technology and ability to communicate improves that society in general should move towards more direct democracy and localism but membership in the EU demands the opposite. That's just idealogicial stuff though. The only way a departure would work would be a clean break by a country in a strong position to negotiate trade and freedom of movement, that's definitely not something that applies to the UK.

I'd agree with this.

On the plus for Ireland, we'd then be the only English speaking country in the EU

ON the negative, we'd now have 1/3 of our exports going outside the EU

50/50 in terms of benefits

Stheno wrote: »
    I'd agree with this.

On the plus for Ireland, we'd then be the only English speaking country in the EU

Why is being the only English speaking country a bonus?

A pretty large proportion of continental Europeans can speak English anyway.

That's why I mentioned their age - these were guys in their late 60s and early 70s, and are voting to remain in.

Better than a lot of Irish people too!

I think that as our technology and ability to communicate improves that society in general should move towards more direct democracy and localism but membership in the EU demands the opposite.

I dunno - in general I am not a fan of direct democracy (it super doesn't work in Switzerland as far as I'm concerned). I would agree that localism is possibly a way forward but very much within the strictures of global (or at least in this case European) regulations or its going to be anarchy.

The EU doesn't eliminate localism, it just puts boundaries on it, which I have no real problem with. It's not perfect obviously, but the solution is engaging.

FDI otherwise known as US multi-nationals who want to have a base in the EU will gravitate towards an English speaking country for their EMEA HQ. So long as we can continue to provide an educated workforce we'll benefit from that investment.

• Advertisement

The tax incentives waay outstrip the language issue IMO.

If everyone in France was a native English speaker US multinationals still wouldn't go near the place.

If everyone in France was a native English speaker US multinationals still wouldn't go near the place.

I don't think that it's the tax incentives per se but the way that our tax system is structured which enables companies to avoid paying taxes. I'm not an accountant or a tax lawyer so can't explain it very well but I understand that it's something to do with when profits are taxed and where they are realised which enables companies to avoid paying taxes on them because we tax them at a different stage to many other countries. By moving the realisation of the profits from one country to another at different stages they avoid paying out most of what the system intends them to pay. i.e. it's not the tax rate that many other EU countries have an issue with (I remember reading an article in the economist saying that the effective corporate tax rate doesn't vary nearly as much as the headline rate) but the tax system. I'm straying beyond what I really know here so happy for corrections!

I would have thought so too. Plus the ability to speak English isn't that beneficial if the company is trying to do business with the rest of Europe from their EU headquarters. These places are constantly hiring people who can speak German, French etc.

I've dealt with a number of US multi-nationals that have purchased European companies with branches all over Europe. The Americans much prefer dealing with English people over people from the continent, so much so that they normally put them in charge. I'd put it down to history and the fact they see themselves as culturally closer to the UK than anywhere else. It remains to be seen whether that will change in Ireland's favour if England leaves the EU. I'd hazard a guess and say we'll see a boost in manufacturing as it will be easier for companies to get their goods into the EU from Ireland than it would from an England with proper border controls.

Synode wrote: »
    I've dealt with a number of US multi-nationals that have purchased European companies with branches all over Europe. The Americans much prefer dealing with English people over people from the continent, so much so that they normally put them in charge. I'd put it down to history and the fact they see themselves as culturally closer to the UK than anywhere else. It remains to be seen whether that will change in Ireland's favour if England leaves the EU. I'd hazard a guess and say we'll see a boost in manufacturing as it will be easier for companies to get their goods into the EU from Ireland than it would from an England with proper border controls.

Would the hassle of border controls outweigh the benefit of Britain having a direct "road" link to continental Europe?

Would the hassle of border controls outweigh the benefit of Britain having a direct "road" link to continental Europe?

I was thinking the exact same myself as I was typing it. It really depends on the amounts of red tape put in the way of goods coming from the UK.

I was thinking the exact same myself as I was typing it. It really depends on the amounts of red tape put in the way of goods coming from the UK.

A lot of the reasons being given for leaving/staying seem to be way too unclear. They're essentially looking at staying as they are, with whatever concessions Cameron negotiated, or, a very uncertain future.

I know people were angry when the Scots chose the safety of the known over the uncertainty of the new but this seems, to me, like the opposite.

It's a lot easier to get English people to do free overtime.

It's a lot easier to get English people to do free overtime.

I don't know about that. But without doubt, it's a hell of a lot easier having employees in the UK than it is France. The stories I've heard about the Unions and employee rights in France are shocking when compared to the UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Though I don't think we're in much position to complain about the level of debate considering what passed for debate (on both sides) for our various referenda on the EU treaties.

This! We've hardly shown that our electorate is a rational and balanced group looking to ensure the best outcome for our society over the last several years. It's very hard to pass comment on other electorates from our own glass house.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement