Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

swiwi_ wrote: »
    47597_m.jpg

The star of the new Spanish prison drama "locked up".

The show is great so far (2 episodes).

awec mentioned all the tits on GOT. So he should enjoy this.

Just started watching it tonight. She's the spit of Julie Bowen.

¡Ay, Macarena!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

That was a ****ty tackle though. Tough as nails Jamie played on, I think, with broken ribs. He was actually an alright player, if I remember right?

It was ****ty. Thorn didn't get him far enough through the 90 degrees or drive him hard enough into the ground.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    It was ****ty. Thorn didn't get him far enough through the 90 degrees or drive him hard enough into the ground.

Well! This is all I have to say to you.

gif-Jamie-Laing1.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Jamie Laing put in a cracking tackle on someone massive at one point after too. I had a bit of time for him after that match. He gave it socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Can anyone recommend some TV shows with a lot of penis in them?

Mmmm penis.

Penis. Penis. Penis.

Watch reruns of Top Gear, plenty of dicks in that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I've been offered a job back in Dublin which is probably not quite as good as my current one. BUT it would mean I could take up my Leinster season ticket again. So I don't know what to do now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I've been offered a job back in Dublin which is probably not quite as good as my current one. BUT it would mean I could take up my Leinster season ticket again. So I don't know what to do now.

G'wan IBF. Join us liginds on the Anglesea Terrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Oh get back IBF. The boom is back. I've put decking down in my living room. It matches my 98 inch television which is beside the 2 patio heaters I have.

I'm eating fillet steak on a Monday night and I'll probably buy an apartment in Bulgaria next week. I don't even put my change in my pocket anymore...I just feck it in the bin with the receipt.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Oh get back IBF. The boom is back. I've put decking down in my living room. It matches my 98 inch television which is beside the 2 patio heaters I have.

I'm eating fillet steak on a Monday night and I'll probably buy an apartment in Bulgaria next week. I don't even put my change in my pocket anymore...I just feck it in the bin with the receipt.

In that case I may hold out for more money I think :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Erm... not knowing anything about who you are or what you do... but is it really a smart idea to factor attending sporting events into your career decisions?

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Erm... not knowing anything about who you are or what you do... but is it really a smart idea to factor attending sporting events into your career decisions?

Unless I'm Mark McCafferty

Unless I'm Mark McCafferty

He would never consider residing amongst those rotten Celts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

In that case I may hold out for more money I think :D

When you look on Daft.ie for accommodation you'll be thinking that then as well

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Shooting birds at an airport is shooting birds at an airport, IBF.

Leinster are only in Leinster though.

Buer wrote: »
    Shooting birds at an airport is shooting birds at an airport, IBF.

Leinster are only in Leinster though.

Very wise, my decision is made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

A current gen remake of FF VII is coming out late next year. If it's a hit it will print money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

On the plus side, the Stockholm Syndrome will start wearing off, you'll learn to detest EPCR and start raving about the Pro12. On the downside, you'll start agreeing with Emmet and this forum will die from lack of posts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Any advice for moving to Belfast?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

...don't?

• Advertisement

Don't do it? :eek:

;)

Podge_irl wrote: »
    ...don't?

starting a new job there Monday morning can't help that part

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Go to ice hockey games. The team are surprisingly good and its a good laugh.

Kind of leaving it a bit late, no?

Kind of leaving it a bit late, no?

Ive been working constantly till now pretty much.

and at times I'm not a smart man

Ive been working constantly till now pretty much.

and at times I'm not a smart man

OK, well seeing as it wasn't a hypothetical question... they use sterling, talk in a funny accent and eat different food. WTF is a farl, like? So basically, like moving to any foreign country...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I used to live and work there a few years ago so what type of advice are you looking for?

You'll have to set up a bank account up there and check with the bank what exact details they'll need as you're new to the country. I'd to get a letter from my employer and they wanted specific details in it not just CatFromHue is working here and started on such and such a date. Took me three attempts to actually get exactly what they wanted, I genuinely thought they were taking the piss on purpose.

You'll have to get a National Insurance number and this involves going down to their office for an appointment.

If you're commuting by bike just remember Belfast is a surprisingly hilly city so you'll be fit after a month or two.

The people are mostly very nice but for some reason don't get on with other.

No politics chat at work.

They don't cut their own chips in the chipper, well from my experience they didn't, and they may call the chipper the chippy too.

In the places where they paint the pavements the colour of their flags it's usually best not to loiter.

There's an aggressive tone to how they great you but they're not looking for a fight and are actually just greeting you. They mean no harm.

There's a lot of fruit and veg shops on the Ormeau Road and surprisingly an ice cream shop, parlour even, on the Lisburn Road.

Zippy is right too it is like moving to a different country.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I used to live and work there a few years ago so what type of advice are you looking for?

You'll have to set up a bank account up there and check with the bank what exact details they'll need as you're new to the country. I'd to get a letter from my employer and they wanted specific details in it not just CatFromHue is working here and started on such and such a date. Took me three attempts to actually get exactly what they wanted, I genuinely thought they were taking the piss on purpose.

I was working in Scotland for a while a few years ago and it was so much hassle to set up a bank account I ended up having to get paid by cheque and sending them home to be lodged.

I used to live and work there a few years ago so what type of advice are you looking for?.

More the social side what to do where to go. Any good place to play tag? Only time I've been to Belfast before was the last time Connacht went up there. I'll be living in the ormeau rd area.

I'm freelance so a lot of the tax and stuff is being sorted for me.

Do you like marching? Cos that's just coming into season now :P

I never played Tag so can't help you there.

There are plenty of rugby clubs in the city so I'm sure they must run something, you're employer may even have a team.

It's pronounced teg up there. Not to be confused with taig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

More the social side what to do where to go. Any good place to play tag? Only time I've been to Belfast before was the last time Connacht went up there. I'll be living in the ormeau rd area.

They have a fair few decent teams who come down to the IRFU tag nationals each year, but there is no private company running tag AFAIK. So you might not get the year round stuff we have in Dublin .

They don't cut their own chips in the chipper, well from my experience they didn't, and they may call the chipper the chippy too.

Savages

I've hit a wall with Magnus Carlsen at 7 and a half years of age.

I think I need to quit, there's only so many times you can scream "YOU F**KING LITTLE NORWEGIAN C**T" at your phone before people take consider interventative steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

Idle question that just occurred to me - do you guys find the Norn Iron accent hard to follow or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Idle question that just occurred to me - do you guys find the Norn Iron accent hard to follow or not?

Never really found it that hard to understand. I've a good few nordy friends though so maybe I'm just acclimatised.

Never. I do find some Scottish accents a bit tough though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Not really. I moved up to Wirral at Christmas though and I still think that scousers must be talking a different language.

The new Alan Partridge "Scissored Isle" is very good for those into that sort of thing

q1N53idjB98t.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

No argument from me about Liverpool and Scotland. People will point to Glasgow, but the hardest time I ever had of it was in the Orkneys.

I generally find Northern Irish accents okay but every now and again I come across a really thick one and there's just no hope. There was a lad at uni who used to pronounce the word now with an i at the end. Not had any problem with Republic accents so far, although I'm sure that day is coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

No argument from me about Liverpool and Scotland. People will point to Glasgow, but the hardest time I ever had of it was in the Orkneys.

I generally find Northern Irish accents okay but every now and again I come across a really thick one and there's just no hope. There was a lad at uni who used to pronounce the word now with an i at the end. Not had any problem with Republic accents so far, although I'm sure that day is coming.

Instead of 'how now brown cow' in Ireland, it's 'hai nai brain cai' up North.

• Advertisement

Is it Lidl have an ad on TV at the moment with a bear talking in a Louth or maybe Cavan accent? It's hilarious and took me about 5 watches to figure out he was actually speaking English.

It's Aldi.

There was a Glasgow lad standing beside us at the semi-final, having the craic with a group of us. Lovely guy, but we were all looking blankly at each other wondering what he just said. The only thing I understood was "Warriors" and "ref ya ***king **$%!*" ... totally impenetrable accent!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i always found the edinburg accent thicker than the glagow accent

Is it Lidl have an ad on TV at the moment with a bear talking in a Louth or maybe Cavan accent? It's hilarious and took me about 5 watches to figure out he was actually speaking English.

It's Aldi.

They're doing some funny Irish centric ads at the moment. Your man at the BBQ saying everything was fine while all the smoke is blowing into his face is pretty good.

Could also be a Lidl ad though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

They're doing some funny Irish centric ads at the moment. Your man at the BBQ saying everything was fine while all the smoke is blowing into his face is pretty good.

Could also be a Lidl ad though

It's aldi. Whoever does their ads should get a medal. Very funny.

Yeah, they had a whole series of those ads last year.

No idea what this lad is saying.

Two doors down are absolutely blaring music out in the back garden. It's a residential area. How do people think this is OK at this time of the night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I've hit a wall with Magnus Carlsen at 7 and a half years of age.

I think I need to quit, there's only so many times you can scream "YOU F**KING LITTLE NORWEGIAN C**T" at your phone before people take consider interventative steps.

What rating level ate you at Neil? Ever play online like on chess.com or anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

To be fair even I struggle with a broad West Belfast accent sometimes and I'm from Lisburn. Sometimes I just nod and smile and hope they haven't just told me their granny has died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I used to live and work there a few years ago so what type of advice are you looking for?.

Not sure about Tag but if you are living near the Ormeau Rd then Instonians, Malone and Belfast Harlequins would be the three closest clubs to you.

What part of the Ormeau Rd are you living on? The Lower Ormeau area would be very near the Student area of the city. There are loads of bars round there and since we're into June now most of the students will be going home soon. The cathedral quarter in Belfast is where you'll find most of the city's most popular bars and restaurants these days.

Try a Pastie Supper, just don't ask what is inside the Pastie. Have 'Tatey' bread with your fry, you'll never look back. Don't drink Harp, it's pish...

As for touristy sights there is the Titanic museum, the Ulster Museum is pretty good and nearby too. Apparently the Crumlin Rd Jail is worth a visit and there is also a GoT tour which takes all round NI I think.

Oh and while the marching season is nowhere near as bad as it was 10 years ago you should be aware that there is a contentious parade on the Ormeau Rd on the 12th July. However it has been peaceful for a few years now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement