Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

R.I.P. Muhammad Ali
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

bilston wrote: »
    To be fair even I struggle with a broad West Belfast accent sometimes and I'm from Lisburn. Sometimes I just nod and smile and hope they haven't just told me their granny has died.

Ah, that must be the one that gets me then.

Nearly as bad as trying to order water in an American restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

The best thing about this weather is BBQ for dinner, meat with a side of meat and barely any veg in sight :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What, has it reached double figures in Ireland, then? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

What, has it reached double figures in Ireland, then? :D

Between 20 and 25 every day for the last few days. Been glorious so it has!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

molloyjh wrote: »

Wow, hope youse are enjoying it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

What rating level ate you at Neil? Ever play online like on chess.com or anything?

I used to play a good bit on chess.com a few years ago yeah, I got my rating to 1600 at one point, but always suspected a fair few of the guys were cheating (how else could I lose?? :D). You?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I took a half day Friday to get the most out of it. I'm probably about 40% beer at this stage and thinking about firing up the barbecue again this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Anyone know what that water falling from the sky is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

mfceiling wrote: »
    Anyone know what that water falling from the sky is?

A pain in the ass.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Thank God for a bit of rain. It was too hot this last while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Living in Galway (the rain capital of Ireland) I never thought I'd say this. You lucky bastards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I used to play a good bit on chess.com a few years ago yeah, I got my rating to 1600 at one point, but always suspected a fair few of the guys were cheating (how else could I lose?? :D). You?

I've never played much blitz or bullet, find it difficult to not blunder or waste a lot of time. Got up to around 1750 in correspondence through a few sub 1500 tournaments but that was a few years ago. I reckon my actual rating was around 1550 or so but I've since forgotten basically all the opening theory I knew. It's a very difficult game when you don't know an opening for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I've never played much blitz or bullet, find it difficult to not blunder or waste a lot of time. Got up to around 1750 in correspondence through a few sub 1500 tournaments but that was a few years ago. I reckon my actual rating was around 1550 or so but I've since forgotten basically all the opening theory I knew. It's a very difficult game when you don't know an opening for me.

That Magnus Carlsen app is pretty good. I am in a similar boat, in that I hadn't really played in years and lost a lot of my opening theory. But I've noticed, even in the last few years, phones and computers have gotten so powerful, that it's tough to get a nice gradual increase in difficulty.

For example, Apple Chess on my macbook has difficulty levels that goes:

Level 1 - Computer thinks 1 move ahead
    Level 2 - Computer thinks 2 moves ahead
    Level 3 - Computer thinks 3 moves ahead
    Level 4 - Computer thinks for 1 seconds per move
    Level 5 - Computer thinks for 2 seconds per move
    Level 12 - Computer thinks for 256 seconds per move

I can beat Levels 1 - 3 handy enough, but the laptop is so powerful, that once you set it to think for even a second (Level 4), it's like playing a freakin' grandmaster.

But with the MC app, you are at least playing against the trajectory of his development, so the difficulty scales up in a more linear and less drastic fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Kimbo Slice passed away during the night, 42yo, suspected heart failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Game of Thrones was a bit slow last night. Only plus is that it seems to be setting up a few things

b.gud wrote: »
    Game of Thrones was a bit slow last night. Only plus is that it seems to be setting up a few things

I really liked last nights episode. Some good characters making reappearances and some good interactions. I wasn't keen on last season but for me the writing is back to where it was prior to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I really liked last nights episode. Some good characters making reappearances and some good interactions. I wasn't keen on last season but for me the writing is back to where it was prior to that.

I agree, thought it was a great episode

GOT:
    Al Swearengen didn't last long :o I thought he was great in Deadwood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

b.gud wrote: »
    I agree, thought it was a great episode

GoT:
    A lot of things are being set up. For one the battle at Winterfell should merge a lot of storylines...LF & The Vale, Sansa/Jon and Ramsay. I thought the episode was fine.

• Advertisement

GoT:
    A lot of things are being set up. For one the battle at Winterfell should merge a lot of storylines...LF & The Vale, Sansa/Jon and Ramsay. I thought the episode was fine.
    I have a theory that all the Starks will end up back in Winterfell for the finale, they have enough time to pull it off

It has to be said that the Queen of Thornes is a class character too. Perfectly cast as well.

I have a theory that all the Starks will end up back in Winterfell for the finale, they have enough time to pull it off
    It's heading that way. I have a feeling Littlefinger will meet his demise somehow.

One thing I've never understood is though how Bran and co. got north of the Wall without passing over the Wall/Castle Black. Is there something I've forgotten that was shown on TV?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

This is the first season I've watched properly since season 1. Decided as long as I couldn't avoid spoilers (which is literally impossible - they spoil it in the headline of articles on most of the major newspapers!) I may as well jump back in. I've been enjoying it though. Managed to catch up on what I missed by watching the odd episode and loadsa youtube clips.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    This is the first season I've watched properly since season 1. Decided as long as I couldn't avoid spoilers (which is literally impossible - they spoil it in the headline of articles on most of the major newspapers!) I may as well jump back in. I've been enjoying it though. Managed to catch up on what I missed by watching the odd episode and loadsa youtube clips.

The youtube videos of all of one character's scenes are fantastic.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think it's being setup for the introduction of a pretty minor but very interesting character from the books.

It's heading that way. I have a feeling Littlefinger will meet his demise somehow.

One thing I've never understood is though how Bran and co. got north of the Wall without passing over the Wall/Castle Black. Is there something I've forgotten that was shown on TV?
    I haven't watched any of the tv series but read the books. Didn't Bran and his band get under the Wall through a cavern/tunnel of some sort?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

awec wrote: »
    I think it's being setup for the introduction of a pretty minor but very interesting character from the books.

Mod note : this spoiler is a book spoiler. You won't want to read unless you've read the books.
    If you mean LSH... I'm not sure if I'm down with that. Never really liked that character, before or after she died. Though it might explain why the Brotherhood without Banners might have turned into total dickholes.

I don't think we'll see her. It would be a great shock but it would be a massive departure. I would absolutely love it though, not sure why

EDIT: This is also a book spoiler, great call on that

• Advertisement

If you mean LSH... I'm not sure if I'm down with that. Never really liked that character, before or after she died. Though it might explain why the Brotherhood without Banners might have turned into total dickholes.
    I agree with you with regards to the books but it would obviously be very different in the show

I don't think we'll see her. It would be a great shock but it would be a massive departure. I would absolutely love it though, not sure why
    Not so massive anymore really. Hope it does happen, I've been waiting for a few seasons now!

Not so massive anymore really. Hope it does happen, I've been waiting for a few seasons now!

I think it's about as likely as Jared Payne playing full back next season.

(this way I can give you tons of hope while actually saying it's very unlikely)

Mod note : this spoiler is a book spoiler. You won't want to read unless you've read the books.

Might be no harm to mark spoilers as book spoilers, I haven't read them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Book Spoiler
    I really hope they don't bother with LSH and they go in a different direction, maybe just the BWB have become increasingly more violent to the point where they are what they intended to protect from. With Benjen, the Hound and Jon all coming back it would be almost jumping the shark territory even if it happens in the book

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Book Spoiler
    I really hope they don't bother with LSH and they go in a different direction, maybe just the BWB have become increasingly more violent to the point where they are what they intended to protect from. With Benjen, the Hound and Jon all coming back it would be almost jumping the shark territory even if it happens in the book
    I think you'e right but I'd still enjoy it
    (There isnt a book spoiler here but its related to one)

• Advertisement

It seems like every sod on my facebook is travelling to France for 3 weeks. :mad: :(

Picked the wrong year to get married.

It seems like every sod on my facebook is travelling to France for 3 weeks. :mad: :(

Picked the wrong year to get married.

I thought the wedding was next year? :confused:

Zzippy wrote: »
    I thought the wedding was next year? :confused:

This year! It's on the same day as Ireland v Canada.

Pfft! That's 5 months away! I can see the thumb imprint in your forehead from here...

This forum gonna be a mess that day with a test match on and all the mods away at a wedding... :D

Zzippy wrote: »
    Pfft! That's 5 months away! I can see the thumb imprint in your forehead from here...

This forum gonna be a mess that day with a test match on and all the mods away at a wedding... :D

Yea. Unfortunately Joe Schmidt and the Ireland guys had to decline the invitations though.

• Advertisement

Yea. Unfortunately Joe Schmidt and the Ireland guys had to decline the invitations though.

FFS. It's only Canada, like!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

You did well there scheduling it on the non NZL/AUS weekend.

You did well there scheduling it on the non NZL/AUS weekend.

I know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

You do realise that there are 6 other days that week where Ireland aren't playing a test match?

I assume you are doing a mini-moon after the wedding and the main honeymoon is the Lions tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Please tell me the phrase "mini-moon" is not common parlance when it comes to weddings/honeymoons these days. Please.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    You do realise that there are 6 other days that week where Ireland aren't playing a test match?

I assume you are doing a mini-moon after the wedding and the main honeymoon is the Lions tour.

She wanted it on a weekend, so the Canada game was the obvious choice. ;)

We are going to go somewhere (In Ireland) for a few days after the wedding but I have to be back in Dublin by the Saturday for the All Blacks match. :D

I tried to test the water about going to Chicago the Saturday before the wedding for the earlier All Blacks game but that was a no go.

Honeymoon next year will not be the Lions tour. We considered it briefly but the time just doesn't suit us.

Please tell me the phrase "mini-moon" is not common parlance when it comes to weddings/honeymoons these days. Please.

I felt the same until I was getting married and realised it was an excuse for two holidays. I'm all about the mini-moon! Mini-moons rock!

She wanted it on a weekend, so the Canada game was the obvious choice. ;)

We are going to go somewhere (In Ireland) for a few days after the wedding but I have to be back in Dublin by the Saturday for the All Blacks match. :D

I tried to test the water about going to Chicago the Saturday before the wedding for the earlier All Blacks game but that was a no go.

Honeymoon next year will not be the Lions tour. We considered it briefly but the time just doesn't suit us.

Stag party in Chicago :D have the groomsmen tell her it's a mystery weekend and you had nothing to do with it.

Heading to San Francisco tomorrow then spending a couple of weeks driving in California before heading to Vegas. Anyone got any suggestions on where to watch the ABs games in SF and LA? Staying in Union Square and Hollywood. Also any tips or recommendations for restaurants or touristy things over there? It's been a long time since I was in California.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Heading to San Francisco tomorrow then spending a couple of weeks driving in California before heading to Vegas. Anyone got any suggestions on where to watch the ABs games in SF and LA? Staying in Union Square and Hollywood. Also any tips or recommendations for restaurants or touristy things over there? It's been a long time since I was in California.

Take a drive around Lake Tahoe if at all possible. One of my favourite places on earth.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement