Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Heading to San Francisco tomorrow then spending a couple of weeks driving in California before heading to Vegas. Anyone got any suggestions on where to watch the ABs games in SF and LA? Staying in Union Square and Hollywood. Also any tips or recommendations for restaurants or touristy things over there? It's been a long time since I was in California.

I watched some of the rugby world cup here:
    http://www.thechieftain.com/home

Re SF, Soma district is quite close to Union Square and great for food and if you intend on doing the Alcatraz tour book it in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Heading to San Francisco tomorrow then spending a couple of weeks driving in California before heading to Vegas. Anyone got any suggestions on where to watch the ABs games in SF and LA? Staying in Union Square and Hollywood. Also any tips or recommendations for restaurants or touristy things over there? It's been a long time since I was in California.

Top 10 bars in San Francisco

http://gu.com/p/3gapp?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

That should cover you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

There's a big sports/Irish bar right beside Union Square called Lefty O'Douls. It's the 2nd or 3d building on the left if you walk up Geary Street, West Direction off Union Square. I remember watching The Champion's League in there once at midday which felt really weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Oh and two words: Anchor Steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Oh and two words: Anchor Steam.

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Cheers for that lads.

Would the Irish v SA games be on tv in the States or a legal website? It'll be early in the morning there so I'd like to watch them in the hotel room.

Any recommendations for the drive down the PCH?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Any recommendations for the drive down the PCH?

I've always wanted to go to Monterey. Crazy abundance of marine life, in the aquarium and in the bay, and made famous in a couple of John Steinbeck books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Make the 3-4 hour drive, worth every minute, to Yosemite National Park. One of the most stunning places I've ever visited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

And pronounce it "Yose Might" to all the americans and see what happens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Was in Yosemite last week. Swimming in a lake surrounded by snow at 8,500 feet was fairly amazing. Kezar pub beside Gold Gate Park is good for the rugby matches. Was fairly full for the PRO 12 final. Uber is STUPIDLY cheap. Go see the Lagunitas brewery and report back on what it's like - I've heard good things.

Uber in America really is stupidly cheap.

Was at a wedding in Florida recently and needed to get a taxi to a shopping mall the day before, cost me 10.50 each way. A family member did the same trip by old fashioned taxi car and got charged 50 dollars

Anyone got any good recommendations for towns to stay in on the Amalfi coast where the accommodation prices would be reasonable. Going there at the end of September

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Stay in Napoli. Grand spot, lovely people, safe as houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Stay in Napoli. Grand spot, lovely people, safe as houses.

The street markets are great too. Manys a bargain to be had there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The only minus point is it's getting a bit too touristy thanks to shows like Gomorrah.

• Advertisement

Sorrento is nice. Not sure how pricey it is though, I'm sure there's a mix. Lovely views across the bay looking at Vesuvius too.

You can do day trips to Pompei and there's boat trips to Capri, Ischia and all along the coast from it.

I was there at the end of August one year and it was boiling hot, the kind of heat that made you want to hide indoors all day.

The only minus point is it's getting a bit too touristy thanks to shows like Gomorrah.

In all seriousness I stayed in Naples a few years back and while most of it is as dodgy as feck there is a small patch of it that's quite decent. And it served as a good base for trips to the likes of Sorrento which is pricey. Some of the pizzas in Naples too were truly amazing.

Bit late but anyone fancy doing a Boards Rugby fantasy league for the Euros?

20ish hours left to pick a team.

Cheers for the suggestions guys will check them out

Bit late but anyone fancy doing a Boards Rugby fantasy league for the Euros?

20ish hours left to pick a team.

Zero interest here, if only for the fact I couldn't even name most of the Irish team, never mind pick decent players from all the other countries...

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Zero interest here, if only for the fact I couldn't even name most of the Irish team, never mind pick decent players from all the other countries...

To be honest I signed up for it because my friend was doing a league but when I went to pick my team I hadn't a clue who anyone was. I don't fancy my chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some of the reports from Marseille concerning 'fans' are appalling.

Some of the reports from Marseille concerning 'fans' are appalling.

They shouldn't allow them into the competition

What is it about English soccer fans that brings out the yob?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

What is it about English soccer fans that brings out the yob?

Surely a ban from the 2020 Euros would be fitting?

England fans jeering and whistling the Russian anthem. Even the non-hooligans are yobs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

England fans jeering and whistling the Russian anthem. Even the non-hooligans are yobs...

It's disgusting. They should ban them from going to games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

And they wonder why the national team is unlikeable.

To be fair, kind of, to the English fans they're being targeted by French fans, and today Russian fans. However, they seem only too willing to respond.

Ken Early is in Marseille and last night he said they were in a bar watching the France game, mostly English fans there, when out of nowhere this crowd of other people appear around the corner and start bottling them. Next thing you know the riot police are there and all hell breaks loose.

Given France is on the highest of alerts for terrorism, and their police are armed, I'd be on my best behaviour.

To be fair, kind of, to the English fans

Actually, after decades of this I think I'd rather not be. I've no interest in the competition but if I did I'd like to see them kept away from the tournament entirely.

• Advertisement

Actually, after decades of this I think I'd rather not be. I've no interest in the competition but if I did I'd like to see them kept away from the tournament entirely.

Yeah, like I said, a lot of them seem only too happy to respond when they are provoked. Marseille is apparently the hooligan capital of France though so basing England there was a bit of an unfortunate result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

just need 1 more yellow in the england game to win €130- hontafuq get stuck into eachother

Thomond mentioned it earlier, but whoever thought that England vs Russia in Marseilles was a good idea was off their rocker. It's almost like the perfect storm for problems.

Nordie fans at it with the Poles now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Reminds me of the airport scene in Mike Bassett England Manager

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

wp_rathead wrote: »
    just need 1 more yellow in the england game to win €130- hontafuq get stuck into eachother

Did ya wintafukk?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

kuang1 wrote: »
    Did ya wintafukk?!

No...

Only 2 yellows in the game - feckin faarce, neither side gave a ****e
    Bet was for more than 2... Had a double with that and Ireland to beat SA that obviously came in, ughhh

More reports overnight that wild bands of feral French police have been attacking poor defenseless English soccer fans. Poor lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

It's when the soccer is on that I realise what a privilege it is to follow rugby.

There is no way you'd get en masse actual life-threatening violence between rival rugby fans.

We definitely have the moral high-ground.

• Advertisement

swiwi_ wrote: »
    It's when the soccer is on that I realise what a privilege it is to follow rugby.

There is no way you'd get en masse actual life-threatening violence between rival rugby fans.

We definitely have the moral high-ground.

I just think back to the World Cup in Cardiff/London... We were watching the Japan/SA match with two Welsh cops after Ireland/Canada match having great craic. I can only imagine how ridiculously stressful it is working in the French police forces during this competition having to worry about religious/English extremists.

More reports overnight that wild bands of feral French police have been attacking poor defenseless English soccer fans. Poor lads.

I get your point but you can't ignore the fact that other fans are involved too. The Russians literally attacked the English fans in the stadium as soon as the final whistle went last night. There's been French fans involved all along and I saw reports last night that the trouble between Northern Ireland and Polish fans was actually them being attacked together by French fans.

It's a soccer thing, not just an English thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭TeoReid

Fairly liberal use of the word "fan", criminals is better

I get your point but you can't ignore the fact that other fans are involved too. The Russians literally attacked the English fans in the stadium as soon as the final whistle went last night. There's been French fans involved all along and I saw reports last night that the trouble between Northern Ireland and Polish fans was actually them being attacked together by French fans.

It's a soccer thing, not just an English thing.

I lived in Portugal in 2004 when the English fans were similarly "attacked" in Albufeira so I have absolutely no time for any of that. There's a reason that they're always involved, despite claims from the English media attempting to show them as the innocent party.

The Turkish kits at the Euros look like a reverse Saracens kit.

CkwajBuWEAAMyHi.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Nordie fans at it with the Poles now.

I have to set this right and this is based on media reports and from friends who are there.

The Northern Ireland and Poland fans have been getting on very well, what happened last night was that BOTH Polish and Northern Ireland fans were attacked by locals while enjoying some drinks together. The French police have confirmed this.

There have been no clashes between Northern Irish and Polish fans.

I'm only saying this because others on this MB on other forums are only to happy to leave the boot into Northern Ireland fans at every opportunity.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    I have to set this right and this is based on media reports and from friends who are there.

The Northern Ireland and Poland fans have been getting on very well, what happened last night was that BOTH Polish and Northern Ireland fans were attacked by locals while enjoying some drinks together. The French police have confirmed this.

I'm only saying this because others on this MB on other forums are only to happy to leave the boot into Northern Ireland fans at every opportunity.

I thought I had put this right this morning?

I'm very confused now as to where I put the post explaining that.

ETA: It's about 3 posts up ^

Apologies, my Nordy pals.

Allow me to make it up to you by sharing this gem.

https://twitter.com/BBCnireland/status/741947292186382336

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I thought I had put this right this morning?

I'm very confused now as to where I put the post explaining that.

ETA: It's about 3 posts up ^

Apologies, my Nordy pals.

Allow me to make it up to you by sharing this gem.

https://twitter.com/BBCnireland/status/741947292186382336

Oh I wasn't having a go at you, I just hadn't read your other post!

Oh I wasn't having a go at you, I just hadn't read your other post!

That's okay, I just got confused because I was sure I had added that in this morning. All's well that ends well.

Someone help me out here....

€2 bet, 9/2 odds, how much should you win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Someone help me out here....

€2 bet, 9/2 odds, how much should you win?

9, plus your 2 euro stake back, so 11 in total.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement