Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Floor HRV Duct Positioning

Options
  • 10-01-2015 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

Here's a quote I read recently in a Passive House magazine:

"...one common issue is HRV ducting being installed outside a building's thermal envelope. All supply and return ducting should be in a service cavity within the insulation and airtightness envelope of the building. At a minimum, the ducting should be at least within the insulation envelope."

In my two storey house I plan to position the HRV ducting for the first floor in the attic space on top of the joists, sandwiched between 2 layers of approx 300mm of insulation wool. The ducting will also have its own insulation covering.

Ignoring the penetration of the air-tightness membrane, does it really make much of a difference having it here compared with having it in a service area below the joists?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 New Build 2015

BarneyMc wrote: »
    Here's a quote I read recently in a Passive House magazine:

"...one common issue is HRV ducting being installed outside a building's thermal envelope. All supply and return ducting should be in a service cavity within the insulation and airtightness envelope of the building. At a minimum, the ducting should be at least within the insulation envelope."

In my two storey house I plan to position the HRV ducting for the first floor in the attic space on top of the joists, sandwiched between 2 layers of approx 300mm of insulation wool. The ducting will also have its own insulation covering.

Ignoring the penetration of the air-tightness membrane, does it really make much of a difference having it here compared with having it in a service area below the joists?

Interested to hear responses on this also

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

With the levels of insulation you are talking about, I wouldn't worry about it. The reality is that hrv ducting is often installed outside the insulation envelope, especially in upper floors.

One alternative is including the attic space within the thermal envelope and insulating up the rafters up to the ridge however this obviously adds to the space you are heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

I'll be having a cold attic so definately won't be insulating up the rafters. I guess it will be sandwiched between the mineral wool in the attic space plus have its own insulation wrap so the heat loss should be minimal?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Rabbo wrote: »
    With the levels of insulation you are talking about, I wouldn't worry about it. The reality is that hrv ducting is often installed outside the insulation envelope, especially in upper floors.

One alternative is including the attic space within the thermal envelope and insulating up the rafters up to the ridge however this obviously adds to the space you are heating.

I'm seeing this more and more. Lots of houses that I did ceilings for last year requested a dropped ceiling upstairs also. Some of them had "warm roof" construction and kept as much pipework/hrv/electrics out of the roofspace as was possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Dropped ceilings seems to be working well on paper for me so far....

I aim to keep everything inside the insulation line and so resulting in as few penetrations of the Air tight line as possible, I think I have three areas in total that penetrate my air tight line in the whole house. Bar windows obviously!

• Advertisement

I aim to keep everything inside the insulation line and so resulting in as few penetrations of the Air tight line as possible, I think I have three areas in total that penetrate my air tight line in the whole house. Bar windows obviously!

Yes, this is a big advantage of having the dropped ceiling. Are you using uninsulated plasterboard below this?

Yes, this is a big advantage of having the dropped ceiling. Are you using uninsulated plasterboard below this?

Yes, all my critical insulation line is above the airtight line. Just means things can be moved or disturbed at later dates without the need to touch the fabric of the building. Also means Electrics and plumbing have all the space in the world to work with, without the need for me to follow on taping everything again and again.

Yes, all my critical insulation line is above the airtight line. Just means things can be moved or disturbed at later dates without the need to touch the fabric of the building. Also means Electrics and plumbing have all the space in the world to work with, without the need for me to follow on taping everything again and again.

But to get at these services again means tearing down plaster board or cutting the air tight membrane?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....its not just the ducting - having the unit itself on the warm side of the build is a factor too.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

But to get at these services again means tearing down plaster board or cutting the air tight membrane?

Or like the lad whose house i worked on last year in Meath did...keep as many units/serviceable components etc in one room and install a "grid and tile" ceiling like you would see in an office or shop.

His reckoning was that he would probably be the only one who ever would be in that room, so aesthetics didn't really matter!!

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....its not just the ducting - having the unit itself on the warm side of the build is a factor too.

Yes my unit will sit on the warm side. If the insulated ducting is sandwiched between the mineral wool in the attic then the heat loss will be negligent?

mfceiling wrote: »
    Or like the lad whose house i worked on last year in Meath did...keep as many units/serviceable components etc in one room and install a "grid and tile" ceiling like you would see in an office or shop.

His reckoning was that he would probably be the only one who ever would be in that room, so aesthetics didn't really matter!!

But you can only access a limited part of the ducting network here not to mention the other services?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

Does the dropped cavity need ventilation?

But you can only access a limited part of the ducting network here not to mention the other services?

True - his room was about 4m x 3m. Full of services, main electric board, hrv unit, all computer equipment and his heat pump/boiler etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

893bet wrote: »
    Does the dropped cavity need ventilation?

No. Not if the insulation is above the service cavity

No all services are forward or below the air tight line, yes access from the top would mean going through the insulation and air tight membrane. That decision can be taken if and when needed.

For now though I want to make my airtight membrane unbroken as much as possible.

mfceiling wrote: »

The way forward these days, I have a dedicated room or lift shaft as I call it that houses everything from MHRVC, Fusebox, Water tanks x 2, hot water storage, controls....This spans like a lift shaft up to ceiling height so all services have easy access to first floor and also ceiling void upstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

The way forward these days, I have a dedicated room or lift shaft as I call it that houses everything from MHRVC, Fusebox, Water tanks x 2, hot water storage, controls....This spans like a lift shaft up to ceiling height so all services have easy access to first floor and also ceiling void upstairs.

Am I reading that right? what type of building is this in?
    It just doesnt seem to make sense to have a dedicated space with all services in it, ie water and electrics and everything else? assuming the worst and some kind of fault or leak? what then?
    Aside from a seperate channel/space going up/down for electrical components/wiring and maybe MHR ducts could be smaller, than something that has incorporated a space for water storage and HW tanks and a MHRV unit? I ask because it seems unusual to me?

I had thought before that a dedicated channel up and down a house where a consumer unit is located (preferably hidden) would be a good way to make future electrical upgrades opposed to everything buried as seems to be the case and recently Id thought a good place to place heat recovery ducts.

cerastes wrote: »
    Am I reading that right? what type of building is this in?.

Domestic
    It just doesnt seem to make sense to have a dedicated space with all services in it, ie water and electrics and everything else? assuming the worst and some kind of fault or leak? what then?
    The whole reason to have this area compounded and easily accessible.
    Aside from a seperate channel/space going up/down for electrical components/wiring and maybe MHR ducts could be smaller, than something that has incorporated a space for water storage and HW tanks and a MHRV unit? I ask because it seems unusual to me? ?

Age old thinking calls this an Attic.....Which isn't easily accessible and again 90% of the time a total waste of footprint space...In my case of a story and a half there is little Attic space left when optimising space and volume
    I had thought before that a dedicated channel up and down a house where a consumer unit is located (preferably hidden) would be a good way to make future electrical upgrades opposed to everything buried as seems to be the case and recently Id thought a good place to place heat recovery ducts.
    This is what I have essentially described, except on a larger scale and houses all services required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Domestic

The whole reason to have this area compounded and easily accessible.

Age old thinking calls this an Attic.....Which isn't easily accessible and again 90% of the time a total waste of footprint space...In my case of a story and a half there is little Attic space left when optimising space and volume

This is what I have essentially described, except on a larger scale and houses all services required.

I see, circumstances and needs. I thought the building might have been converted from some other use.
    I would have thought its a very good idea except for having the water storage there too in the event (probably an outside chance) it creates a problem or worsens one. Id have thought having the water storage HW and CW in the same space also might make the space bigger than it would for electrical and ventilation alone. I thought there are regulations which state you cant have electrical services in a hotpress, I though the same might apply here.
    Having said that, I can see the benefits for a channel up and down for services for a domestic situation, as it could make upgrades or changes done later easier, e.g. for adding lights or socket circuits or wiring for an electric shower if it were added later, opposed to services buried inaccessibly in the walls as they are now or where adding upgrades means doing damage or clipping something to the surface.

• Advertisement

miller_63 wrote: »

I was speaking to a fried about this at the weekend and his builder suggests creating a 2 inch service void in the bedroom ceilings. Would this really be enough for wires, water pipes, etc?

If this is not done then does that mean the wiring for every wall socket, light switch and light will penetrate the membrane?

Another inch and the (60mm) HRV ducting could be incorporated but I suppose it's yet another inch lost from the ceiling height.

I was speaking to a fried about this at the weekend and his builder suggests creating a 2 inch service void in the bedroom ceilings. Would this really be enough for wires, water pipes, etc?

If this is not done then does that mean the wiring for every wall socket, light switch and light will penetrate the membrane?

Another inch and the (60mm) HRV ducting could be incorporated but I suppose it's yet another inch lost from the ceiling height.

That was my view, by preventing multiple punctures of the membrane by careful predesign meant I could get everything into the voids...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

The service cavity is the best option. this should have been decided before you broke ground

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

BryanF wrote: »
    The service cavity is the best option. this should have been decided before you broke ground

Bryanf I think we'd all love to live in your ideal world but unfortunately we don't.
    I have had an architect & engineer engaged from the start of the build and if left only to their input id have a 100mm cavity with a few boards of insulation, walls dry lined (forget about plastered behind the boards) stick a few solar panels on the roof for that energy reg thing (part L) and drill a few vents in the wall cos that Airtightness thing will only cost you money.
    Not all professional are as professional as you believe them to be. There are a vast majority ignorant to low energy or passive construction methods. Perhaps this could be kept in mind EVERY TIME engage/refer to a profession is suggested in posts where someone comes on here looking for advice.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

hexosan wrote: »
    Bryanf I think we'd all love to live in your ideal world but unfortunately we don't.
    I have had an architect & engineer engaged from the start of the build and if left only to their input id have a 100mm cavity with a few boards of insulation, walls dry lined (forget about plastered behind the boards) stick a few solar panels on the roof for that energy reg thing (part L) and drill a few vents in the wall cos that Airtightness thing will only cost you money.
    Not all professional are as professional and you believe them to be. There are a vast majority ignorant to low energy or passive construction methods. Perhaps this could be kept in mind EVERY TIME engage/refer to a profession is suggested in posts where someone comes on here looking for advice.
    There was a time when barney was going with the passive standard, what happened barney?

BryanF wrote: »
    There was a time when barney was going with the passive standard, what happened barney?

No, not me sir. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

hexosan wrote: »
    Not all professional are as professional as you believe them to be. There are a vast majority ignorant to low energy or passive construction methods. Perhaps this could be kept in mind EVERY TIME engage/refer to a profession is suggested in posts where someone comes on here looking for advice.

Looks like we have the same architect and engineer.

That's crap to hear hexosan and 893bet in this day and age. I guess somethimes a lack of enthusiasm can hinder input.
    A simple bit of legwork and foresight prior to final design sorts all these out. My Passive Certification is coming on a treat and im putting it all down to early design and detailing....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

That's crap to hear hexosan and 893bet in this day and age. I guess somethimes a lack of enthusiasm can hinder input.
    A simple bit of legwork and foresight prior to final design sorts all these out. My Passive Certification is coming on a treat and im putting it all down to early design and detailing....

My house was designed and planning got when I discovered low energy/passive building methods. At no point in the design process was it even mentioned to me. A lot of the knowledge gained and used came from the Internet and this site.
    That's why it can get annoying when a question is asked here and all the poster gets is refer to you professional. Some on here have "professionals" who can't give an answer. I do agree that others come on here looking for free advise that they simply don't want to pay for.

• Advertisement

Agree, this is where the likes of NZEB will step in, in the future this will grow and grow I guess especially its open doors format. Some people are happy to point people in right directions to help with decisions. I cant shut up about it, lol

Advertisement