Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 week old sleep noise

Options
  • 10-01-2015 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

hey, my 5 week old makes serious noises while sleeping at night... grunts and squeels quite a bit and it keeps us both awake...it is quite loud... he is bottle fed and im.thinking it may be gas related?... the thing is he sleeps quitelyduring the day, not a sound and we use the same burping technique 24 7... anyone have any experience of this that mmight help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Hello, just wanted to let you know your not alone on that one.
    We have a three week old and he is the same, it keeps me awake as I keep thinking he's going to wake any minute too.
    I don't know what causes it, I think he's just a bit nasally congested.
    I remember our last used to make the grunting noises too but it just stopped by itself.
    I don't think it means anything is wrong, but if you are worried see your go.
    I hope it stops soon, I feel for you with the lack of sleep, we are the same here if its any consolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

jopax wrote: »
    Hello, just wanted to let you know your not alone on that one.
    We have a three week old and he is the same, it keeps me awake as I keep thinking he's going to wake any minute too.
    I don't know what causes it, I think he's just a bit nasally congested.
    I remember our last used to make the grunting noises too but it just stopped by itself.
    I don't think it means anything is wrong, but if you are worried see your go.
    I hope it stops soon, I feel for you with the lack of sleep, we are the same here if its any consolation.

hey there, good to know were not the only ones... not overly concerned just a little confused by it only happening at night.. plus want to know when it will end :-) . hopefully just him growing.. can be tough to sleep through it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

My almost six month old did that too, the noise out of her was crazy. It does pass, there's just so much going on in their little brains and bodies and so much of it gets processed when they sleep :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 velvet rose

Hi, not too shur if this will help but my little man snores like an old man while sleeping! Since he was two weeks. he was sick at ten weeks with bronchiolitis and was in hospital and doc said his breathing was related to a floppy larnyx nothing serious he would grow out of it by the time he is two. its harmless just loud! The sound should go away when his larynx strengthens! We were referred to an ent in crumlin just to make sure and he said exact same thing. never heard of a floppy larynx before my little man!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Solution for us was move baby into their own room! So noisy!

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    Solution for us was move baby into their own room! So noisy!

sounds like a solution but he's only five weeks.. we'd feel guilty doing that so soon or are we being overly sensitive

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

One of you could sleep in spare room / couch so at least one of you gets sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

My first when into his own room at 12 weeks because he was so noisy. Number two is four days old and the exact same. You keep thinking they are going to wake up and an hour later they are still asleep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

boardie100 wrote: »
    sounds like a solution but he's only five weeks.. we'd feel guilty doing that so soon or are we being overly sensitive

Both of mine were moved at around that age. Twas only the room next door. Everyone slept better! Sure they don't know any different... They're asleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

boardie100 wrote: »

Its advised that baby sleeps in the room with you when they are still tiny (until 6 months old I think) :) As someone else suggested maybe you and your OH could take turns sleeping in another room? My LO was noisy too but we soon got used to her little noises and tbh they reassured us!! It doesn't last long :)

• Advertisement

Soooky wrote: »
    Its advised that baby sleeps in the room with you when they are still tiny (until 6 months old I think) :) As someone else suggested maybe you and your OH could take turns sleeping in another room? My LO was noisy too but we soon got used to her little noises and tbh they reassured us!! It doesn't last long :)

yeah 6 months is what i read too.... we do take turns which is a big help but i guess ive never had a full night without sleep before (better get used to it :) )..

we have one of those angle monitors which i think are brilliant and also another video monitor... so last night i jumped next door after i put him down around 6am to get a couple hours shut eye...

at least i know now all the noise is fairly common...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Could your baba have reflux? Mine did and sounded like Darth Vadar at night with lots of grunting as well.

I used ear plugs - they worked well enough to let me sleep through the low level grunting and heavy breathing etc but anything louder would wake me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Yea ours went through a mad stage of grunting too, maybe about 4-8weeks. You learn to sleep through it, we did anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The earliest I've heard a child being moved to another room was three months.

Our little one makes a bit of noise breathing but most of the noise she makes is flapping in the cot :)

You get immune to it after a while but after 5 weeks you'll still be on high alert for anything that sounds like it's not right. If he was silent, OP, you'd be awake because you'd be over and back checking he was breathing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

At 9 weeks ours made a strange noise while lying down, I turned around and she was choking on her own phlegm, she turned blue, we couldn't clear it and we had to call an ambulance. Thankfully everything was ok in the end but I was never so glad she was beside me. If she was in another room god knows what would have happened.

Advertisement