Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I sing for the 6 pieces for my practical??

• 10-01-2015 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi! I am still in 4th year so I am only 15 years old. But I am having trouble picking subjects for my leaving cert. as I still don't know what it is I want to do after secondary school. I was think of doing music as I love singing and the practical Is worth 50%. Unfortunately I don't play even one instrument! Which means I would sing all my practical pieces I am not sure if I can doso and if I do would it be a bad idea?? For my junior cert I got a C but that was because I genuinely didn't do all the studying I should have done... I was wondering if you guys can help me out please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Hi! I am still in 4th year so I am only 15 years old. But I am having trouble picking subjects for my leaving cert. as I still don't know what it is I want to do after secondary school. I was think of doing music as I love singing and the practical Is worth 50%. Unfortunately I don't play even one instrument! Which means I would sing all my practical pieces I am not sure if I can doso and if I do would it be a bad idea?? For my junior cert I got a C but that was because I genuinely didn't do all the studying I should have done... I was wondering if you guys can help me out please.

The practical for Leaving Cert is Grade 5 standard. Would your singing be up to that standard? Also, would you be singing pop or classical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

If you sing 6 (instead of the usual 4 + 4) you are marked on a much higher marking scheme. Only if you have really perfected your craft would I say do it. I've been singing for years but I'm still doing 4 +4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

The practical for Leaving Cert is Grade 5 standard.

God if I had know that I would have done it! Ah well,

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

I would recommend maybe giving it a shot! Really work at it and get some lessons. I get lessons and do exams with L.A.M.D.A (London Academy) and I'm on grade 8, I also am on grade 8 with R.I.A.M and will still plan to do 4+4 as I do believe it is marked easier? Not sure about that. A bit of advice, music isn't a walk in the park for leaving cert. I did it for JC and got a B with little/no work and no I have to do it outside of school for an 1 and a half hours a week. Its fairly stressful to get it fully but I should be okay, I wish you luck in whatever you choose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

You can do one of the following options (all worth a total of 50%)

1. Sing 6 pieces
    As stated by other posters this is graded at a very high standard and you should have a good variety of musical styles displayed

2. Sing 4 pieces (worth 25%) AND technology (25%)
    Here the standard is lower than option 1. Technology involves recreating a 16 bar 4 part piece of music on a computer and editing it. You can bring the piece in with you and tbh if you practise it is very easy. If you have a home computer then install 'musescore' and play around with it.

3. Sing one piece to a backing track you created (25%) AND technology
    Here you pick one song and create at 32 bar backing track for it. If you like computers then this is a very good option but it is a project and you will work on it over time. You have to be able to explain to the examiner exactly how you created it.
    The technology is similar to option 2 except that you have two scores to work with in three part. It's still very easy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement