Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CX build cross tops good idea or just excess weight

• 10-01-2015 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

I can't figure out whether I should bother with cross tops or not to finish off my CX build.
    Anyone have any opinions on them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Maybe useful for a commuting bike...but that's about it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Not necessary for racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bobcranfret

Some people think that having two braking options is not a good idea in an emergency. Your hands could lose valuable reaction time deciding which levers to choose. Like a car with two brake pedals. I had cross tops on my CX build with cantilever brakes. I never felt really confident in the stopping ability of those brakes. I subsequently put flat handlebars on the bike and switched to V brakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

Some people think that having two braking options is not a good idea in an emergency. Your hands could lose valuable reaction time deciding which levers to choose. Like a car with two brake pedals. I had cross tops on my CX build with cantilever brakes. I never felt really confident in the stopping ability of those brakes. I subsequently put flat handlebars on the bike and switched to V brakes.
    Cheers lads that's just confirmed what I thought re them being just excess weight
    my rebuild has discs and is a hefty 12kg so I think I'll not bother with them so. Unless I see a very convincing argument otherwise

Advertisement