Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking up home economics

• 10-01-2015 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Im a guy taking up homec next year for lc , can someone explain if homec is hard to take up and if a B1 plus is achievable? Need alot of points.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

A far a I know home ec has a practical element to it . These projects / practicals usually are easy points if you put the work in .

Written exams= wrote learning. If you have a good memory it should be ok.

Asking if x/y/z is hard to take up or is easy to get good marks in isn't a straightforward answer and depends on the individual . It seems like you would be best equipped to answer your question .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Conaaaa wrote: »
    Im a guy taking up homec next year for lc , can someone explain if homec is hard to take up and if a B1 plus is achievable? Need alot of points.

Are you starting 5th year next year? I didn't do it but a lot of people pick it under the impression that it's an easy subject. If you work at it, there's every chance you can do well. If you don't work at it, you will find it difficult. Like every LC subject really.

Afaik, it takes elements of Biology, Chemistry, Business and even a little bit of Physics so it's very broad.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Conaaaa

Im taking it up next september! And i want to know if ill be at a huge disadvantage really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Conaaaa wrote: »
    Im taking it up next september! And i want to know if ill be at a huge disadvantage really

Are you in 5th year at the moment or TY?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

I have a friend who took it up for the LC and has been getting straight A1s so far. I reckon it can be done, there's a lot of rote learning and some overlap with biology and business as far as I know.

• Advertisement

I am in ty yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8 HomeEc_teacher

Like everything good results/points are achievable once you put the work in.
    It is a long course but good consistent study throughout the two years will stand to you.
    The cookery element is assessed via a journal - you are given 6 tasks & must complete 5. These are issued at the start of 5th year and most schools do them throughout the year, they are submitted for assessment October/November of 6th year so at least you have it out of the way early enough. Don't leave the writing up of these till the last minute as that's how mistakes happen. Do them really well and you should achieve the full 20% allocated.
    I personally reckon a good standard of English and good exam technique is helpful as when it comes to the exam a lot of the times you need to be able to interpret the questions really carefully. If you get this right from the start you're well on your way to that B1. Practice exam questions as you're doing each topic and look at the marking scheme to see how the exams were interpreted by the correctors. Expansion of answers is crucial but that won't be highlighted in the marking scheme.
    Have a chat with the current 5th years and 6th years to get a feel for it.
    And if course chat to your home ec teacher.
    Best of luck with it !

Wait so do i need to be good at english in the paper structurig answers or is it bullet pointed facts ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8 HomeEc_teacher

No bullet point facts are exactly the way To go but they need to be fully explained/expanded. I not saying you need to be an A1 hons English student but rather be able to comprehensively read the question and link it to the marks being awarded for it and then figuring out how much to write. The amount of times students try to convince me "they wrote loads" because they bullet pointed 12 points straight from the book instead of fully expanding say 4 points. As I said good exam technique. It just takes smarts and practice to perfect it. Once you're prepared to work top grades are very achievable. Hth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Almen11

I'm currently doing Home Ec at higher level for sixth year, all I have to say is that realistically speaking it is very difficult to get an A, think something like 4% get one each year? This is purely because of the level of detail needed in some questions. It's not impossible, but it is hard.
    A lot of it is common sense however and as long as you have the knowledge,a good structure to your answer and good exam technique you should be fine!
    It is quite a dense course and you will need to work hard at it quite a bit!
    A helpful tip : work away at short questions all of the time (2 a night we'll say) and remember short questions does not mean short answers! Use your own initiative and practice long questions aswell and ask your teacher to correct them for you.
    Put a fair amount of effort into your assessment journal aswell as it worth a hefty 20%!
    Hope this helps

• Advertisement
Advertisement