Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrot as a treat?

• 10-01-2015 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

So, Opie stole an entire carrot off the counter the other day while I was making soup. After some frantic searching, we figured it was not going to be toxic, but since this, he literally glues himself to me when he sees me peeling carrots.

Would this be a safe treat in moderation? Raw? Fresh out of the freezer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Opie is a........?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Opie is a........?

Oh, lol sorry. Dog. So used to everyone knowing him! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

My pup (a husky!!!) loves raw carrot as a treat.... as an extra special treat she gets one dipped in peanut butter and she just loves it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

My dog gets carrots as her main treats (and mixed up in her dinner, so she has them almost every day). She LOVES them and the only side-effect we've noticed is orangey poo if she ever manages to steal one and eat the whole thing just like your lad did. Normally we cut them up and give her bits, so she probably only has about a third to a half over the course of a day. She'd devour a bag if she got her paws on it though :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

My two love carrots, too. Our vet actually recommended them as healthy treats. I think it's the crunch that appeals to them ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Raw carrots have no nutritional value to dogs, they go straight through.

They do however love the crunch, the nawing and making a mess.

Think of them as a diet bone and apply liberally :D

Good to know :P I put one in the freezer this morning and took it out just now, and he gave that carrot a very good talking to for being so cold and scary :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Polly loves carrot!

She hops down off the sofa and goes to stand beside my mother when she's cutting them for dinner so it's one for Poll, one for the pot.

She never bothers to do so when it's parsnips being chopped :D

Toulouse wrote: »
    Polly loves carrot!

She hops down off the sofa and goes to stand beside my mother when she's cutting them for dinner so it's one for Poll, one for the pot.

She never bothers to do so when it's parsnips being chopped :D

Opie learned shortly after making the soup that parsnip is most definitely not an albino carrot :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

My dog absolutely loves carrots too. They're her favourite treat. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Carrots are a big favourite here too! I love seeing newbies refusing them, then having a go of them when they see my own dogs enjoying them so much!
    My cautious side would say not to freeze them though, I have a *thing* about very hard treats damaging teeth :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Mr. Burns sells dried carrots at a nice price!
    http://burnspet.co.uk/products/treats/burns-carrot-treats-for-dogs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Am I not right in saying carrots are a found in a lot of dog food? I know they are in tins of cat food. Carrots and rice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Am I not right in saying carrots are a found in a lot of dog food? I know they are in tins of cat food. Carrots and rice.

Yes - Burns wet food for dogs has alot of carrot in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,600 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Opie is a........?

I was secretly hoping Opei was a goldfish, this would have been a legendary story then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mine will not touch raw carrot and I have to mash it in when I cook their stew... Even blind collie can cleverly extract a chunk. But I know many dogs who love raw carrots and envy that. The looks mine give me if I offer would curdle milk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I know they are in tins of cat food.
    You find little bits of carrot and sometimes peas too in cat food pouches for some ridiculous reason. Our cats just pick them out, however tiny and leave them in the bottom of the bowl.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Mine will not touch raw carrot and I have to mash it in when I cook their stew... Even blind collie can cleverly extract a chunk. But I know many dogs who love raw carrots and envy that. The looks mine give me if I offer would curdle milk

My mams dogs are like that and they look at my dog like she is mad ... they get dog treats and she gets carrots!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I feed grated carrot everyday as part of their meal but if I give them a whole carrot they stand at the back door to eat it outside all proud like they would with a bone lol! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Graces7 wrote: »

oh good - someone else with animals that dont think carrots are edible - thought i was on my own there for a minute (and green with envy!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Lex is obsessed with carrot and I often give her a full one as a treat. She somehow knows the sound of me chopping carrots and will come sit beside me but not when I chop other veg. She's got good ears!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

toadfly wrote: »
    She somehow knows the sound of me chopping carrots and will come sit beside me but not when I chop other veg. She's got good ears!

Lol, same in this house.... It's hilarious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

My dogs also love carrots - they're one of the trifecta that brings them into the kitchen to 'help' me! The other two are raw potato peelings and cheddar cheese (The cheese is a rare and tiny treat though it still brings them to my side.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

My pair won't look at raw carrot, but take out the block of cheese and one of mine is over like a shot! Yoghurt is another favorite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Pretzill wrote: »
    My dogs also love carrots - they're one of the trifecta that brings them into the kitchen to 'help' me! The other two are raw potato peelings and cheddar cheese (The cheese is a rare and tiny treat though it still brings them to my side.)

Be careful with the raw potato peelings, as I think they're poisonous to dogs, although mine have stolen some in the past and suffered no ill effects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm feeling nostalgic reading this thread. We lived with my father in law for a while and whenever I was chopping carrots his dog would sit beside me waiting for her carrots. Lovely little dog she was.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

As soon as the peeler comes out my lad is doing the carrot dance around the kitchen..he can't get enough of them.

Noted DBB, no more frozen carrots. Although I don't think it actually froze in it's whole state, seemed more cold than anything else!

Two things Opie believes were put on this earth for him - carrots, and the spilt baby formula powder on the counter after bottles are made. I can only assume that is in no way good for him but the little k-nut has mastered the art of waiting until I'm pouring boiling water before he licks it off. Can't lock him out of the kitchen because he knows how to open all the doors (time for upsidedown handles I think :cool: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

muddypaws wrote: »
    Be careful with the raw potato peelings, as I think they're poisonous to dogs, although mine have stolen some in the past and suffered no ill effects

wow Muddy I only thought green potato skins were a no, no. There goes another treat! Thanks.

• Advertisement

IMG_0277.JPG

Here is Nymeria enjoying her favorite treat when she was younger!

Advertisement