Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress help

Options
  • 10-01-2015 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

I have a site using wordpress.net one click installation that I am happy enough with and functioned well over the Christmas period.

I want to work on the next site which I want to keep seperate from the first.

I have shared hosting and I am finding it a bit tricky to see how to add my second domain and update to multisite wordpress so that the second site can be managed on the same hosting.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Personally i would avoid Multisite if they are separate sites, if one gets hacked they all go down. Multisite would be useful for schools or magazines

You should be able to add domains onto it and do separate installs of wordpress to each domain

are you using cPanel?, You go to Domains > add on Domains and enter the urls or ask your host?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

Thanks. I am not very technical but learning the ropes.
    So can I use a seperate installation for the newsite using the same hosting plan?
    I had tried google but was confused so I thought i'd ask here before calling the host.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

when you say new site do you mean a new website on a new domain? www.newsite.com?

What host are you with?

Yes totally new domain name.

I have xxchristmas.ie and I want to set up a new website xxgifts.ie and have them appear to be different businesses even though they are the one.

I have shared hosting with letshost.ie but domain name xxgifts.ie with Blackknight

I am workingon my seo for xxchristmas.ie for 2015 but I also want to get cracking on xxgifts before 1st Feb.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Don't use multi-site as previously stated, it will give you nothing but an additional layer of confusion.

You need to add a new 'site' to your hosting package. Depending on the hosting company/package there may be no additional charge.

You will setup the new site to use your new domain name, you'll then probably need to change the DNS for your new domain to point to the shared hosting server that you setup the new site on.

Your hosting company should be able to help.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much. I think I have it all done.
    However, it is not live when I type the domain and I have just gotten an e-mail saying "The domain will go live with the next IE Zone rebuild, which takes place every two hours. " I'm not sure what the issue was but at least it was sorted after a quick "ticket"
    I have always seen websites as an area that I hadn't a clue where to start in. Delighted to have the second site up and running myself. Learning curve all the way.

Advertisement