Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you use an extension lead off another from a single plug?

Options
  • 10-01-2015 3:40pm

Hi folks

As a grown man, I should know the answer....

Can you use an extension lead off another from a single plug?

I have a desk set up on the side of room temporarily but no plugs, I have laptop, speakers, tv/monitor, small lamp plugged in.

I want to put my Xbox beside it and use another plug for phone / usb charging.

The extension chord is a big heavy duty one that has a handle to wind it.

As it only has 4 plugs, can I plug in another small extension cord on one of those plugs and then use it to power xbox and usb plug?

Its not a long term solution as I'll be moving places this year, but want to be sure its safe, not a fire hazard etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

It would not really be classed as best practice, but as long as the combined maximum current draw from all the attached devices is less than 13A then it should be fine.

You can buy extension leads with 6, 8 or even 10 sockets quite readily.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Great, thanks. I'll go out and have a look, rather spend a few quid instead of taking the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

You should be fine doing what you ask, just dont leave either extension wound at all, completely unwind them. Or plug one of them 4 socket short leads into the fully extended lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

As well as the risk of overloading a socket with multiple extensions, you will also have an increase in the volt drop.

More importantly it will effect the earth fault loop impedance at the end and therefore might prevent disconnection in the required time in the event of a fault.

It's very poor practice to be honest.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    As well as the risk of overloading a socket with multiple extensions, you will also have an increase in the volt drop.
    If a plug has a 13 amp fuse, that should protect against too much overloading. Some sockets are not great at the same time though.
    More importantly it will effect the earth fault loop impedance at the end and therefore might prevent disconnection in the required time in the event of a fault.
    That would apply to any extension lead, lawnmower in garden plugged into one etc. RCDs are for protecting people from electric shocks. As such, will trip with even tiny earth faults.
    It's very poor practice to be honest.

Poor practice if becoming the practice instead of proper sockets, fine for a temporary setup plugging in low load devices.

Just ensure the lead is fully uncoiled. Obviously extra sockets is a lot better.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the info guys

What about if I use one of those multi plugs and plug just one more device in ?

When you say fully uncoiled, what about one of those bigger round extension leads that you can wind up? Should that be fully wound out ?

Cheers for the info guys

What about if I use one of those multi plugs and plug just one more device in ?

When you say fully uncoiled, what about one of those bigger round extension leads that you can wind up? Should that be fully wound out ?

Any extension lead used for anything for extended periods should be wound out fully.

Getting extra sockets installed would be recommended of course, with the extension lead a temporary measure.

Bruthal wrote: »
    Any extension lead used for anything for extended periods should be wound out fully.

Getting extra sockets installed would be recommended of course, with the extension lead a temporary measure.

Cool. Thanks. How expensive is it to get sockets installed? It would be at a wall that's between bedrooms...the kind in an apartment, wafer thin stud type walls

If a plug has a 13 amp fuse, that should protect against too much overloading. Some sockets are not great at the same time though.

Many multipoint adaptors do not contain a fuse, and are often used in conjunction with extension leads etc.!

And I still maintain that it is poor practice to plug an extension lead into another extension lead. This is not the intended use for which they are designed.

Many multipoint adaptors do not contain a fuse, and are often used in conjunction with extension leads etc.!
    The extension lead will have a plug on it. That will have a fuse. It is an extension lead here.
    And I still maintain that it is poor practice to plug an extension lead into another extension lead.

No one claimed it was good practice. I'd do it myself no problem though if stuck. In fact I have 2 short 4 way leads plugged into each other behind the TV, for a couple of years now.
    This is not the intended use for which they are designed.
    I dried out 2 phones last year with a hair dryer. Couldn't find a phone drier.

• Advertisement

We also do not know if there is an RCD installed on the socket outlets to help with disconnection times (although it would not help with regards to voltage drop since it will not have any effect on the phase/neutral loop impedance).

Haha only one man I knew had such interest in disconnect times.

Haha only one man I knew had such interest in disconnect times.

Unfortunately I have no idea who you are referring to so cannot share in the joke!

Although disconnection times are fundamental to the safety of an electrical installation!

Although disconnection times are fundamental to the safety of an electrical installation!
    Perhaps I should do an installation test on the ones behind my TV. But I think I'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

Something like this perhaps

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Electrical Safety First website states "Only use one socket extension lead per socket and never plug an extension lead into another extension lead".

As I said, it is very poor practice indeed, and not how an extension lead is intended to be used.

Extension leads are not intended to be used in place of a sufficient number of socket outlets either. So if this is a permanent setup then additional socket outlet(s) are the only answer.

Yea, it says cut the grass with your lawn mower, not the cable.

Endless info there:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Extension leads are not intended to be used in place of a sufficient number of socket outlets either. So if this is a permanent setup then additional socket outlet(s) are the only answer.

This is obviously not true. An extension lead has one plug feeding a number of sockets. It may not be an ideal set up or indeed best practice but they can be safely used when uncoiled within their current limit. In the Op's case the stup is intended as temporary and his intended load is well within limit.
    Many people use extensions, daisy chained pairs, for convenience feeding TVs, stereos, set top boxes etc. Cables can easily be shortened to reduce voltage drop.
    They are also very common in older office environments for PCs,printers faxes etc.

Obviously fixed sockets are preferable but not always available.

Cerco wrote: »
    This is obviously not true.

It is true. An electrical installation should be provided with sufficient socket outlets. An extension lead is not intended to negate the need for adequate provision of socket outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I would never daisy-loop extension leads... sounds dangerous.

Can I ask, does anyone know if you can plug an extension lead into a RCD adaptor and still use the extension lead safely out in the garden?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,427 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

And I still maintain that it is poor practice to plug an extension lead into another extension lead. This is not the intended use for which they are designed.

everything with a standard plug should have a fuse. Where do you buy your adapters, the 2 euro shop?

Akrasia wrote: »
    everything with a standard plug should have a fuse. Where do you buy your adapters, the 2 euro shop?

Multipoint adaptors are unfused.

I think you might find many plugs are unfused, e.g. if they are connected to a switched-mode power supply.

Cerco wrote: »
    This is obviously not true. An extension lead has one plug feeding a number of sockets. It may not be an ideal set up or indeed best practice but they can be safely used when uncoiled within their current limit. In the Op's case the stup is intended as temporary and his intended load is well within limit.
    Many people use extensions, daisy chained pairs, for convenience feeding TVs, stereos, set top boxes etc. Cables can easily be shortened to reduce voltage drop.
    They are also very common in older office environments for PCs,printers faxes etc.

Obviously fixed sockets are preferable but not always available.

You must be the only house in ireland with 8 plug sockets wired beside the tv stand in your living room.

Everyone uses extension leads in busy parts of the house. I don't see the issue in 99.999% of cases. Unless you're using them with damaged leads or around water, then having the wires attached to extension leads or behind a bit of drywall makes no difference.

Multipoint adaptors are unfused.

I think you might find many plugs are unfused, e.g. if they are connected to a switched-mode power supply.

I've just checked 4 different extension leads in my house and all of them have had fuses in their plugs.

I've just checked 4 different extension leads in my house and all of them have had fuses in their plugs.

I didn't say that extension leads were unfused.

I didn't say that extension leads were unfused.

OK then tell us what the function of the fuse in the extension lead plug top is?

myshirt wrote: »
    I would never daisy-loop extension leads... sounds dangerous.
    Does it?
    Can I ask, does anyone know if you can plug an extension lead into a RCD adaptor and still use the extension lead safely out in the garden?
    There should be an rcd in the mcb board. Another plug in one is pointless if the board has one.

You must be the only house in ireland with 8 plug sockets wired beside the tv stand in your living room.

Everyone uses extension leads in busy parts of the house. I don't see the issue in 99.999% of cases. Unless you're using them with damaged leads or around water, then having the wires attached to extension leads or behind a bit of drywall makes no difference.

The poster you quoted is agreeing with your point really. Quoted wrong one?

I think you quoted the wrong post or misread it.;)

• Advertisement

It is true. An electrical installation should be provided with sufficient socket outlets. An extension lead is not intended to negate the need for adequate provision of socket outlets.

If it is true then please explain the design purpose of multi socket extension leads.

Advertisement