Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you use an extension lead off another from a single plug?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Cerco wrote: »
    If it is true then please explain the design purpose of multi socket extension leads.

And the function of the fuse in the extension lead plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

lads, how has this subject gone on for 3 pages?
    calm done i think the original poster has had his question answered by now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Cerco wrote: »
    If it is true then please explain the design purpose of multi socket extension leads.

They are designed as a means of extending the reach of appliances as a temporary measure. They are not designed as a means of extending the reach of an appliance permanently, nor are they intended to be used in conjunction with other extension leads. Instead the correct length of extension lead should be used or connected to a more suitable socket outlet.

Bruthal wrote: »
    And the function of the fuse in the extension lead plug.

The fuse obviously is to limit the current which can be drawn through the connected sockets. This does not mean that it is permissible to connect an extension lead into another extension lead. Nor does it mean that they should be used with multiway adaptors.

Incidentally, do you know what current a double 13A socket is designed to take safely? (To help you on your way I will tell you that it is NOT 26A.)

Risteard81 wrote: »
    The fuse obviously is to limit the current which can be drawn through the connected sockets. This does not mean that it is permissible to connect an extension lead into another extension lead. Nor does it mean that they should be used with multiway adaptors.
    So the leads are protected from overload at their plug. That's handy, isn't it?
    Incidentally, do you know what current a double 13A socket is designed to take safely? (To help you on your way I will tell you that it is NOT 26A.)
    Any general knowledge ones?

• Advertisement

dolittle wrote: »

Amusement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

dolittle wrote: »

This is an extended thread because it is all about extensions! :)

You are right, the Op's query has already been answered. It is now becoming a quiz.

Bruthal wrote: »
    So the leads are protected from overload at their plug. That's handy, isn't it?

But the socket may be overloaded if multiple extensions are connected to it. There is also a potential issue RE earth fault loop impedance with multiple extension leads connected together (we do not know whether there is RCD protection on the sockets, or whether the test button has been operated regularly to prevent "stiction"). And even if earth fault loop impedance is not an issue there is a potential voltage drop issue.

So you have spectacularly failed to understand the potential issues.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Now back to the OP:
    Can you use an extension lead off another from a single plug?

On the basis that the wiring in your installation is up to scratch and on the basis that the loads you have described below are small I would not be concerned if it were my office.
    I have a desk set up on the side of room temporarily but no plugs, I have laptop, speakers, tv/monitor, small lamp plugged in.

I want to put my Xbox beside it and use another plug for phone / usb charging.

Yup, even the total load here is very small.
    The extension chord is a big heavy duty one that has a handle to wind it.

Even better, as already advised uncoil the lead completely.
    As it only has 4 plugs, can I plug in another small extension cord on one of those plugs and then use it to power xbox and usb plug?

This is such a tiny load it will not be an issue.
    Its not a long term solution as I'll be moving places this year, but want to be sure its safe, not a fire hazard etc.

Extension leads are ideal for short term solutions.
    But the socket may be overloaded if multiple extensions are connected to it.

Highly unlikely with the tiny loads described above.
    There is also a potential issue RE earth fault loop impedance with multiple extension leads connected together (we do not know whether there is RCD protection on the sockets, or whether the test button has been operated regularly to prevent "stiction").

If earth fault loop impedance was a concern a smaller fuse size could be installed in the plug although this is very unlikely. Extension leads will not contribute to stiction.
    And even if earth fault loop impedance is not an issue there is a potential voltage drop issue.

Volt drop is a function of the current drawn. In this case the current is very small so the chances of excessive volt drop is very remote.

Nothing wrong with disagreeing / good debate but please do not let it get personal as it detracts from a good discussion. Thanks.

But the socket may be overloaded if multiple extensions are connected to it. There is also a potential issue RE earth fault loop impedance with multiple extension leads connected together (we do not know whether there is RCD protection on the sockets, or whether the test button has been operated regularly to prevent "stiction"). And even if earth fault loop impedance is not an issue there is a potential voltage drop issue.

Another read of the original post might help eliminate the multiple imaginary scenarios you have grasped at.

Have a nice day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Please stay on topic, and be nice :)

Thank you

2011 wrote: »
    Extension leads will not contribute to stiction.

I wasn't suggesting that they would. My point is that an RCD without the test button operated at regular intervals can suffer from stiction, and therefore be unfit for purpose of providing additional (or supplementary) protection.

I wasn't suggesting that they would. My point is that an RCD without the test button operated at regular intervals can suffer from stiction, and therefore be unfit for purpose of providing additional (or supplementary) protection.

Agreed, but that is nothing to do with the OP's question and can lead to confusion the issue for someone non-technical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭monseiur

Firstly I'm not an electrician but I'm following this discussion with interest.
    Generally (not always) when an electrician is asked to fit extra sockets in a room just like the OP's situation, the normal practice is to loop the cable from the existing socket.
    So, apart from the obvious dangers i.e. tripping over the extension lead etc. etc., provided the extension lead has the required size twin & earth cable etc. with good quality plug top etc. ....from the point of view of providing power for computers, phone chargers etc. what's the big deal re. overloading etc., in getting power supply from an extension lead or from an extra socket which is supplied by the existing socket apart from the fact that with the extra socket the cable is running perhaps across the attic and down in conduit with both obviously out of sight ?
    Surely appliances that would overload the extension lead socket would / could overload the extra socket if looped from original socket ?
    Just wondering !!:confused:

M.

Advertisement