Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man United v Southampton, Old Trafford, Sunday 11/1, 4pm SS1

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Great win for Southampton United pure muck today great to see long may it continue.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Great win for Southampton United pure muck today great to see long may it continue.

I tbought you'd be bored of watching utter muck at Anfield this year? Must be addicted so looking for a fix wherever you can get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Rooney reckons Utd deserved to win :confused:

He never was the sharpest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Rooney reckons Utd deserved to win :confused:

United probably created the better chances. Southampton were not adventurous at all.

It's not an outrageous or confusing statement. I disagree with him, but I can see his point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Hated adored never ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

United probably created the better chances. Southampton were not adventurous at all.

It's not an outrageous or confusing statement. I disagree with him, but I can see his point.

I find it hard to see where he's coming from when United didn't register a shot on target in a home match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

United deserved something.
    RVP missed a decent chance, and Mata really had three very good opportunities.

On another day you'd expect him to at least score one or two of them

United deserved something.
    RVP missed a decent chance, and Mata really had three very good opportunities.

On another day you'd expect him to at least score one or two of them

Utd didn't take their chances so didn't deserve anything from that match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Moyes looks better each week.

Time for some serious revisionism if LVG doesn't turn things around soon.

Utd didn't take their chances so didn't deserve anything from that match

Yeah, if you're looking at it in a purely literal way, we lost, they scored more, so we deserved nothing. That's not what he is getting at though. Maybe he phrased it incorrectly. United dominated possession and created better chances. They should have taken something from the game and maybe their more adventurous play deserved more than Southampton's more cautious display, in Rooney's mind.

I disagree with him because Southampton's gameplan worked to perfection. In situations like that, the best team almost always wins. It's not a crazy statement though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Question for united fans: is di Maria still the third best player in the world?

Oranage2 wrote: »

We should definitely make definitive knee-jerk statements about this.

My answer: he never was. Still a great player though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

You're a bit obsessed with United aren't you? :D

Nemanrio wrote: »
    You're a bit obsted with United aren't you? :D

Well I've already jacked off twice to the result tonight, not obsessed but definitely a slight fascination .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Dull 0-0
    Not harm in being wrong once in a while.

We should definitely make definitive knee-jerk statements about this.

My answer: he never was. Still a great player though.

Fair enough, though after his chip some people proclaimed he was the 3rd best player in the world, great champo league , world cup blah blah blah. I believe there's a thread on redcafe saying he was better than Sanchez etc.

Anyway good play, worth 68m? No, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

A great champions league and world cup is bla bla material?

Please stop will you, he is one of the best in the world on form but he had a bad day. Simples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Fair enough, though after his chip some people proclaimed he was the 3rd best player in the world, great champo league , world cup blah blah blah. I believe there's a thread on redcafe saying he was better than Sanchez etc.

Anyway good play, worth 68m? No, imo.

I think he is better than Sanchez myself. He is an excellent player.

A great champions league and world cup is bla bla material?

Please stop will you, he is one of the best in the world on form but he had a bad day. Simples

Bad day? I can't remember him playing well in literally months.

Match related, united were so flat, such a boring match, right result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,309 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Putrid stuff from United

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Good result for Southampton, could have been a tricky fixture for them but fairly comfortable.

United will have to pick themselves up and go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Southampton probably had fewer chances but they were the more clinical today. The more concerning thing for Man Utd must be how blunt they looked in attack. With 4 of their 5 "galactico'" on the pitch I don't think any of them looked like taking the game by the scruff of the neck. Most concerning was Di Maria's performance, asked to play almost as a striker, he looked out of his depth here. He's produced some good moments since arriving in England but, when compared to Sanchez (which will happen because they arrived at the same time for big money from Spain) who has been consistently brilliant, Di Maria in comparison seems to be struggling to find his feet in England.

The lack of penetration was telling in the end, you'd imagine Falcao would have been ideal given his renowned ability to stretch a defense and find space in behind but right now he doesn't seem to be the player he was, injuries may have taken their toll on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Southampton are right in the race for top 4 . They are finished with arsenal and Utd now and have consistently impressed throughout the season moreso than arsenal utd spurs and liverpool. Them getting top 4 would really shake things up.10 wins from 17 should do it for them I think the top 4 total will be a lot lower than some previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Yeah, if you're looking at it in a purely literal way, we lost, they scored more, so we deserved nothing. That's not what he is getting at though. Maybe he phrased it incorrectly. United dominated possession and created better chances. They should have taken something from the game and maybe their more adventurous play deserved more than Southampton's more cautious display, in Rooney's mind.

I disagree with him because Southampton's gameplan worked to perfection. In situations like that, the best team almost always wins. It's not a crazy statement though.

While Utd dominated possession they did so in areas that didn't really threaten Southampton so I wouldn't put too much stock in that.
    A draw would have been a fair result imo. Mata's miss from the Blind cross should have made it a 1-1 game.

Hidalgo wrote: »
    While Utd dominated possession they did so in areas that didn't really threaten Southampton so I wouldn't put too much stock in that.
    A draw would have been a fair result imo. Mata's miss from the Blind cross should have made it a 1-1 game.
    Mata also missed a snap chance at an open goal, similar to the one Tadic scored. RVP also missed a couple of chances that he is more than capable of scoring.

Look, I don't think United should have won, we were gash. But Southampton had very little in attack, so it's a bit harsh to make out like Rooney's statement was ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,313 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

nullzero wrote: »
    0 shots on target. Awful stuff. We were doing better during the injury crisis.

And only 2 shots on target in the return match last month.
    So 2 shots on target in 2 matches against Southampton this season.
    Very very worrying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Remember when all the Utd fans had their todgers out when Falcao was signed ?

Ye can all pull yer pants back up now boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

ebbsy wrote: »

He didn't play today... So what's your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

ebbsy wrote: »

I know, right.

I mean how could he miss those chances from the directors box.

Waster.

:eek:

:mad:

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

It would be great to see Southampton finish top 4.

They laid down a marker today after being written off before the season started

Advertisement