Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Orthopedic Dog Bed

• 10-01-2015 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hey I'm looking for a inexpensive orthopedic bed for my 14 year old. At the moment, she sleeps in a plastic bed with plenty of blankets and an old coat. This morning I found her asleep on a pile of old newspapers in the hall :rolleyes:

So was thinking of getting an orthopedic bed and scrapping the plastic bed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Orthopedic beds are normally made of memory foam and usually quite expensive, I have an orthopedic bed from zooplus and even from there I paid alot for it. What you could do is buy a memory foam mat, which is more reasonable, the thicker the better, and either use it standalone or fit it into the plastic bed. Have a look at zooplus.de (google chrome translates) which will have the best value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Aldi had them around xmas in the specials for around €20 so you might still get one but imo a couple of layers of vet bet would be more comfy and hardwearing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

+1 for vet bedding.

I have an older dog with some arthritis. We also use plastic beds aswell so to make it more comfortable I added a cushion with a couple of layers of vet bedding on top. He seems happy with this. Its easier to keep clean too.

Amazon at the time had these beds/cushions which fit into a plastic bed on sale at a fraction of the price they are now. (Despite the reviews, I have had no problems).
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007XWP2UQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

tk123 wrote: »
    Aldi had them around xmas in the specials for around €20 so you might still get one but imo a couple of layers of vet bet would be more comfy and hardwearing

I went looking for these for dude, couldn't even get them the day they came out and tried 3 different lidls!
    +1 on the vet bed. I've seen many a dog (or cat) get a lovely new expensive bed only to completely refuse to sleep on it. At least with the vet bed it's comfy and can be gotten cheaper than an ortho bed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I went looking for these for dude, couldn't even get them the day they came out and tried 3 different lidls!

Maybe because it was Aldi that were selling them? ;):P I never have any luck with things I specifically go to Lidl for when they advertise stuff, they have keep fit equipment at the moment, including peanuts, and I wanted at least one for the dogs, but there were none in the 2 shops I've been to, only normal exercise balls. I did get a wobble board though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

muddypaws wrote: »
    Maybe because it was Aldi that were selling them? ;):P I never have any luck with things I specifically go to Lidl for when they advertise stuff, they have keep fit equipment at the moment, including peanuts, and I wanted at least one for the dogs, but there were none in the 2 shops I've been to, only normal exercise balls. I did get a wobble board though :D

...it was 3 aldis I went to.. I was just reading this weeks lidl leaflet before posting this. Doh!
    I find both quite hit and miss for the advertised stuff, and have gone there first thing in the morning to get certain things, tickets were given to the first 20 or so people in the queue cos they sell out so quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

Maybe I should have said I also lug her bed in and out of the sitting room every day for her to sleep as she normally sleeps in the hall. I know they're expensive but when it comes to 14 years money means nothing. She's still very mobile for her age, so I really want to get her something where she can sleep and be very comfortable with us. She doesn't really like small beds, prefers to stretch out and be comfortable.

I want to make her last few years as comfortable as possible so that's why I think an orthopedic bed is the best. From what I heard zoo plus is best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

depending on her size would you consider buying a single bed memory foam mattress topper? they are on amazon for about 20 pound with free delivery then cut it in half or in thirds and cover it with a blanket

then you would have a double thickness or triple thickness mattress topper!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I saw the memory foam dog beds in Aldi in Kells, Co. Meath this morning, in the bit where they put as-yet-unsold stock.
    I'm sure I've seen them recently enough closer to home too.
    Homestore & More sell them for €15 when they do their dog specials, but that's not til August orso.
    If any of ye western folk want me to pick one up for ye, let me know.... We'll find some way of getting them to ye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Homestore in Blanch have some beds in their sale - didn't see any orthopaedic/memory foam ones but might be worth a try in different branches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Last time I was in Ikea I picked up a memory foam cot mattress in the clearance area for a tenner, I think they're normally €30. There's a white (highly impractical for most) zip off cover but because it was ex display there was also a fitted sheet on it, which is all I've had to wash so far. You could put it in an old duvet cover, an old dog bed cover or an old sleeping bag for an extra bit of comfort. (actually the width of a standard sleeping bag is almost perfect for it) One of my dogs loves it and has made it his bed every night when he has a choice of a few different ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Try TK Max too.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

Grand thanks for all the replies. I think I'll go with the human foam mattress and cut up into lengths and throw a few old blankets for comfort. The other dog will probably look for a new bed as she will feel left out :rolleyes::o:D

Advertisement