Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video resolution after OS upgrade

Options
  • 10-01-2015 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have just upgraded my desktop PC from Win XP SP3 to Win 7 HP SP1.
    All went fine but the monitor resolution.
    I have an ACER H243HX (24", FullHD) and the graphic card is an ATI Radeon HD 4800.
    After the upgrade the work area of the desktop has reduced and I have a thick black frame around it. The video settings are alright (1920*1080).
    The drivers are up-to-date, any attempt to look for an update lead to the answer that the current driver is the last available.
    I don't know where else I can look.
    Can it be that this card isn't compatible with Win 7?

Before the upgrade I ran the compatibility test and the report was successful, apart for a couple of applications that I wasn't using anyway.

Any idea?
    Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Had a similar problem. Do you have AMD catalyst control center on there? If you do, one of the menus on the side should be "my digital flat panels". The first tab is "properties", make sure the box is ticked next to "enable gpu upscaling". And tick "scale image to full panel size". Then on "scaling options" tab there should be a slider from 10% to 0%. Mine is set to 0% and fits screen fine.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Thanks so much for your quick reply!
    I had such an application in the previous OS (I haven't formatted the HDD, I installed the new OS on a SSD and disconnected the old HDD), I don't have it now.
    I found this link ( Catalyst Software Suite )

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy2&os=Windows%207%20-%2032

Is this what I need?
    My Win 7 is 32-bit.
    Thanks!

That should do just fine. Im sure someone else would be able to tell you how to fix the problem without installing that, but thats how I fixed mine.

Jacovs wrote: »
    That should do just fine. Im sure someone else would be able to tell you how to fix the problem without installing that, but thats how I fixed mine.

Once that I solved the problem, can I uninstall it?
    I have read that it's a bit "heavy" for the system and could create conflicts.

Im not sure if it will undo the resolution problem if you uninstall. Try it and see.

• Advertisement

I'll try tomorrow, then I'll let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You need the proper graphics driver to get full resolution. Without this you are stuck with lower one.

So you don't need the full catalyst suite at all, just the display driver.

Regarding "scaling" as mentioned in the first reply: this is only needed with a VGA cable or hdmi. Use a dvi cable and you won't have to bother with any of this messing (black borders around edge).

srsly78 wrote: »
    You need the proper graphics driver to get full resolution. Without this you are stuck with lower one.

So you don't need the full catalyst suite at all, just the display driver.

It seems that AMD website does not provide the single driver... I need to find the box of the card (it is an assembled PC, they gave the box of the card) and see if I still have the CD, probably what I am looking for is in there.
    I guess that the driver is unsuitable for Win 7, though...
    Would I need to buy a new card?
    Regarding "scaling" as mentioned in the first reply: this is only needed with a VGA cable or hdmi. Use a dvi cable and you won't have to bother with any of this messing (black borders around edge).

As a matter of fact I am using an HDMI cable because I thought it was the best solution to get the best out of this monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Have you installed the actual AMD drivers or is it just a W7 generic driver?

Just download the catalyst suite for 32-bit or 64-bit W7, whichever you have.

Have you installed the actual AMD drivers or is it just a W7 generic driver?

I think I have used a generic driver, I have downloaded it from the internet.
    I have to look for the original box of the graphic card where the installation CD might be.
    Just download the catalyst suite for 32-bit or 64-bit W7, whichever you have.

This sounds in contrast with what srsly78 said before... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Don't bother, the original CD would literally be years out of date.

It doesn't contradict him, the driver only will just install basic drivers, the catalyst suite installs driver + Catalyst software, just handier to download the catalyst suite if you can't find the standalone driver.

Amazing! :)
    It took less than 5 minutes and now it's perfect!
    Thank you so much ;)

Advertisement