Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17yr old cat but I'd love a dog - advice please?

• 10-01-2015 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

So I have two cats ages 17 & 10 yrs with me since kittens. My kids are ages 7 & 5yrs. When they came along cats sort of disappeRed to bedrooms while they were babies. The older one likes older child & doesn't mind younger one.

Younger cat has always been terribly nervous. Loves me, starting to love older daughter & still bit scared of younger daughter. Hates everyone else in the world.

I'd live a puppy. A ****z tzu. Kids wld love a dog. But is it fair on cats? Are they too old to introduce z dog? Any advice or experience very welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'd say your 17 year old cat is far too old to have a puppy running around the house. The timing is really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zipee

I'd say your 17 year old cat is far too old to have a puppy running around the house. The timing is really bad.

😞 was dreading that answer! And funny the older cat is the one I thought would tolerate it more.

I hear ya but thinking cats could live 10-15 more years so are we saying no dog for that length? 😩😩😩

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I don't see why it couldn't work to be honest, provided you are very responsible and dont allow the dog to hassle the cat/s and put the time into integrating them properly. Cats are also very good a lot of the time in putting a dog in its place! We've brought a new dog into our family when one of our cats was elderly, we just made sure the dog didnt pester the cat, all went fine and life went on smoothly and happily!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Do you know anyone who has a Tzu that could visit (on a lead) to see how your cats react? This might give you a clearer idea of what you would be getting yourself into. I personally would think long and hard before introducing a dog, one worry that I would have based on your post is that one of your cats seems very nervous and insecure. That is likely to result in fisticuffs in my experience, and either animal could get hurt badly if that happens.

That said, I have a 2 dog, 1 cat household. The cat rules the roost, the eldest dog (introduced when both cat and dog were 6) and cat tolerate each other comfortably, the younger (introduced as a pup when cat was 8) idolises the cat and the cat is genuinely affectionate towards her so I do think it can be done.

My advice, if you do go ahead with a dog, is definitely to get it as a puppy, introduce them slowly and under supervision (there are lots of guides on how to do this successfully) and always ensure the cats have a safe place to get away to (you mentioned they used bedrooms when your children were little, so keeping the bedrooms doggy free would be good)

Ooo bit more hopeful replies. I wld intend to use a cage for dog so cats wld get peAce. I've had ****z tzus sine I was young & lovely breed with kids. Very gentle.

I intend to chat to my vet either way first. But very interested in others experiences. I adore my cats.

• Advertisement

zipee wrote: »
    Ooo bit more hopeful replies. I wld intend to use a cage for dog so cats wld get peAce. I've had ****z tzus sine I was young & lovely breed with kids. Very gentle.

I intend to chat to my vet either way first. But very interested in others experiences. I adore my cats.

You'll need to focus on training the dog to leave the cat alone and not rely on a crate. A dog shouldn't be in a crate just to keep it away from the cats, and a dog should never spend too long in a crate, so training and correct supervision is the key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

A few years ago, my cat was 13 when we got a terrier pup. The cat was well used to dogs & used to let the pup sleep with her in her bed.she would smack the pup in the head if pup tried to play with her. Pup was quick enough to learn to be calm & gentle around the cat.
    Im sure it would be fine as long as your cats stand their ground & your pup learns not to chase or play rough with them.
    All our cats & dogs get on great, we have an 8 month old pup & an 8 month old cat who are best friends & spend a lot of time wrestling each other, then get into the same bed & have a nap together!

maggiepip wrote: »
    You'll need to focus on training the dog to leave the cat alone and not rely on a crate. A dog shouldn't be in a crate just to keep it away from the cats, and a dog should never spend too long in a crate, so training and correct supervision is the key.
    I was thinking of using crate to allow special time with cats. My sisters dog likes to go back to her crate after breakfast for most of the morning.

Totally agree training essential. But my worry is nervous cat.

I am worried if she will adapt.
    My two cats snuggle & cuddle & we have a happy house as it is, but I've wanted a dog for years & waited til I was only very part time in work to be home with dog. So this isn't a whim and I do want to do best for all. Kids are begging for dog too for nearly 3 yrs & I'm fobbing them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I really would hold off on getting a puppy. At 17 the cat hasn't got many more years ahead and I think should be allowed to live out the senior years happily and feeling safe at home. A puppy is going to be very boisterous and even the presence of a dog/puppy could cause a huge amount of stress for a cat, especially an elderly cat. It's the OP's decision ultimately, but it would be an awful shame to put an eldery cat through what could be a really traumatic experience.

zipee wrote: »
    I was thinking of using crate to allow special time with cats. My sisters dog likes to go back to her crate after breakfast for most of the morning.

Totally agree training essential. But my worry is nervous cat.

I am worried if she will adapt.
    My two cats snuggle & cuddle & we have a happy house as it is, but I've wanted a dog for years & waited til I was only very part time in work to be home with dog. So this isn't a whim and I do want to do best for all. Kids are begging for dog too for nearly 3 yrs & I'm fobbing them off.

Thats grand, but the aim should be to be able to have lots of time with your cats while your dog is present also, behaving himself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I can see both sides of the argument here tbh, and I think it's great that you're really thrashing this out before making a decision OP!
    Would it be a runner to foster a puppy from a local rescue on a temporary basis, just to see how it goes without making that permanent commitment? This isn't always a runner with young kids as they may find it hard to understand why they've to say goodbye to the puppy again, but at the same time, I think it's also a nice life-lesson for kids to learn :)
    Crates, playpens, Feliway sprays/diffusers, would all help to some extent.
    I'd also add another caveat, that the flat-faced breeds like Shih Tsus are quite vulnerable to eye-injuries from cats, so whilst the cats may try to teach your pup a lesson if he's getting too boisterous, it could end up turning into quite a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

I'd replace your cats with a dog for sure. Your children will get a lot more fun and enjoyment with a dog than they will a cat. Cats are the most selfish domesticated animal ever. A dog is a lover, it's just choosing the right breed and there are loads of resources out there to help you do this.
    Bin the cats buy a dog. In fairness the 17yo is past it and is only goin to cost you money lookin after it in it's old age..

DBB wrote: »
    I can see both sides of the argument here tbh, and I think it's great that you're really thrashing this out before making a decision OP!
    Would it be a runner to foster a puppy from a local rescue on a temporary basis, just to see how it goes without making that permanent commitment? This isn't always a runner with young kids as they may find it hard to understand why they've to say goodbye to the puppy again, but at the same time, I think it's also a nice life-lesson for kids to learn :)
    Crates, playpens, Feliway sprays/diffusers, would all help to some extent.
    I'd also add another caveat, that the flat-faced breeds like Shih Tsus are quite vulnerable to eye-injuries from cats, so whilst the cats may try to teach your pup a lesson if he's getting too boisterous, it could end up turning into quite a big deal.

Well I had thought of fostering but thought I'd get the head eaten off me for fostering for the wrong reasons!! But I think fostering wld be great for my kids too. It's good for them to give back. My youngest is a carer by nature. I do worry about the hand back but if a puppy was working out that well then maybe we cld keep. My 2 cats are rescue.

I'd replace your cats with a dog for sure. Your children will get a lot more fun and enjoyment with a dog than they will a cat. Cats are the most selfish domesticated animal ever. A dog is a lover, it's just choosing the right breed and there are loads of resources out there to help you do this.
    Bin the cats buy a dog. In fairness the 17yo is past it and is only goin to cost you money lookin after it in it's old age..

My cats are lovers....
    Just feel we have room for more and don't want to ruin what we have at the same time .

Maybe I'll get more kick out the pup and get rid of the kids :). :) (only kidding before I'm reported!! :):)

@DBB- reading your post again & hadn't thought of eye injury thing at all.....more to think of. Just want a small dog, gentle by nature and that's it.... Any other ideas on breeds?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Mackas_view, it might have escaped you that this is the Animals and Pets Forum, where people who love their pets regardless of age, health, species etc etc come to post.
    Comments such as yours are entirely unacceptable and you are a hair's breath away from a ban.
    Do not post in this thread again, and make sure you have an attitude-overhaul to your posting if you post in this forum again.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

A lil warning when it comes to older cats + a puppy...

I was looking after two little puppies for a few days. Not once did these two puppies harass my cats at all, or even acknowledge my cats really, they were ridiculously good for 12 week old herding dogs.

But my 12 year old cat was not happy. How did he tell us? He peed all over our bed, the pillows, everything. My boyfriend only realised what happened when he turned around to see our normally really laid back cat have an absolutely loopy face on him, he bolted out of the room straight away. We had been playing with the two puppies on the bed earlier as well, it seemed that the scent of them around really bothered him.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

for what its worth - Ive always had dogs, recently introduced a rescue kitten. WEEKS AND WEEKS of training and patience and watching and seperating later, Im sitting here with my laptop balanced on the terriers bum, with the kitten under him somewhere (I can hear purring) - I would NEVER have said this dog would accept a cat - EVER!!! If your nervous cat is slowly introduced to a puppy, if the puppy isnt a pest/nutter, and if you let the cats have their puppy-free space at all times, I would say its worth a try. I would never let the puppy loose unsupervised with the cats. I think fostering could certainly be an option - choose your puppy very carefully - and as you say, if it works out, and the cats are willing, you could get to keep it - win/win!

Advertisement