Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cash found in ATM

Options
  • 10-01-2015 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭

I came across an amount of money sticking out of an ATM in Waterford today.

I waited around but no-one came back.

If anyone knows of, or hears of, whose this might be, please PM me.

Obviously I'd need to know various details before handing it over, but I'd love it if the rightful owner got it back.

This isn't the only method I'm using to find the owner, by the way.

Serious replies only please!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

If you leave it in the ATM. The ATM will shallow it. Maybe call the bank and tell them. They will be able to see who withdraw it

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BrowmThomas

That's so nice of you. I hope you find the owner & I hope you get some good luck as a result too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Call the bank on Monday, they should be able to tell from the ATM records who it belongs to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Kudos OP.

Nice to see there are a few decent people still left out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Fair play to u! I left 50 in an atm but was convinced I lost it. 5 days later saw atm adjustment 50 on my bank statement. So they knew exactly who left there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Hope it is returned to its rightful owner, nothing sadder than a few lonely fiddys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

sugarman wrote: »
    Fair play, should have just left it there tho, the machine takes it back in after 30secs.

Well it's strange, I thought so too, but there was no-one in front of me, it must have been more than 30 secs before I got there, fumbled with my wallet to get my card out and saw the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Taking cash out of a machine like that constitutes theft, make sure you inform the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Inquitus wrote: »
    Taking cash out of a machine like that constitutes theft, make sure you inform the Gardai.

how?????

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

robtri wrote: »
    how?????

It's not your money, you take it and don't hand it in at the bank or notify the Gards, and that is theft. if you didn't take the money the machine would have reclaimed it.

Most ATMs have a CCTV camera pointing at them and when the person realises they can ask the bank, petrol station, shop or whatever to provide footage either to them or to the Gards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

You absolute legend for trying to find the person.

This happened to me once when I was sick. I know the amount I should have taken out but couldn't find it when I got home. It was only then that I realised I had left it in the machine cause I was half asleep and doped to the gills.

Still despise the woman who was behind me at the atm, saw my money sticking out as I walked away and said nothing...

I did the same, but the machine on that occasion withdrew the notes and the bank refunded it.

In this situation I'd hope that if Someone found mine they'd do the same.

I didn't really want a discussion here about what I should or shouldn't do/have done, I've done all things I feel appropriate. This is just another avenue to try to locate the correct owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I did the same, but the machine on that occasion withdrew the notes and the bank refunded it.

In this situation I'd hope that if Someone found mine they'd do the same.

I didn't really want a discussion here about what I should or shouldn't do/have done, I've done all things I feel appropriate. This is just another avenue to try to locate the correct owner.
    correct owner - return to bank

Which bank though? The ATM or the account holder's?

Which bank though? The ATM or the account holder's?

The ATM, no other bank is going to be able to review the ATM transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

It's not your money, you take it and don't hand it in at the bank or notify the Gards, and that is theft. if you didn't take the money the machine would have reclaimed it.

Most ATMs have a CCTV camera pointing at them and when the person realises they can ask the bank, petrol station, shop or whatever to provide footage either to them or to the Gards.

It's not theft. Dishonesty is a requirement for all theft and fraud offences. The OP did not have the requisite intention to steal money.

Best of luck, OP, and fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

No it doesn't constitute theft -
    person is guilty of theft if he or she dishonestly appropriates property without the consent of its owner and with the intention of depriving its owner of it.

(2) For the purposes of this section a person does not appropriate property without the consent of its owner if—

(a) the person believes that he or she has the owner's consent, or would have the owner's consent if the owner knew of the appropriation of the property and the circumstances in which it was appropriated, or

(b) (except where the property came to the person as trustee or personal representative) he or she appropriates the property in the belief that the owner cannot be discovered by taking reasonable steps,

The OP did not dishonestly appropriate the property, the OP is trying to locate the owner by various methods, the OP does not intend to deprive the owner of the cash and the owner of the cash is not the bank.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Dan133269 wrote: »
    It's not theft. Dishonesty is a requirement for all theft and fraud offences. The OP did not have the requisite intention to steal money.

Best of luck, OP, and fair play to you.
    Take all the notes except one. The machine will suck that one back in and refund the FULL amount to the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Should have left the machine take it. Youve caused more hassle than anything for yourself.

A) I didn't know that the machine would have taken it back;
    B) I'd been mooching near the machine for more than 30 secs before I noticed it, and no-one was in front of me;
    C) it hasn't caused any hassle at all. I'm glad to go out of my way to ensure the right person gets their cash back.

• Advertisement

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Take all the notes except one. The machine will suck that one back in and refund the FULL amount to the account.

That didn't work out too well last time it was tried:

A Sligo garda has been charged with deception following an investigation in Dublin into an bank ATM scam.
    http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=32249

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Give it to the whichever bank the ATM belonged to and if it wasn't attched to a bank tell them the location. They will be able to tell how much should have been withdrawn so if someone goes to that bank telling them they left that amount behind they will be reunited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Some people are unbelievable. The OP is trying to do a good dead and some people on here are bitching and moaning about it. Certain people need to get a grip and stop being no it alls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Graham wrote: »
    That didn't work out too well last time it was tried:

A Sligo garda has been charged with deception following an investigation in Dublin into an bank ATM scam.
    http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=32249

Thinking and F iachra are strange bed fellows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

fiachr_a wrote: »

A garda did that a couple of years ago - he was lucky to get away with just a fine (and criminal record and loss of job) - case was a few weeks ago.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/garda-stole-600-in-atm-scam-30832756.html

Just so you all know, I rang the bank that own the machine today.

They were completely useless. The first person I spoke to, who I think was in India, hung up on me when he didn't know what to do; the second person, when I rang back, didn't know who to put m through to.

But I left my details with them anyway.

Advertisement