Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get contractor to build garage or go direct labour or other

Options
  • 10-01-2015 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

I am just about to commence a large extension project and was hoping to build a garage at the same time but building quotes are coming in higher than our budget so was thinking that we might just get contractor to put in foundation and floors for garage and then go the direct route for the rest of the garage ourselves.

Therefore, I am wondering:
    1) How much might I save? I was quoted €20k to build the 5m x 6m garage by contractor

2) Is it wise to get builder to at least lay foundations and floors and what might this cost approximately?

3) I know it is very hard to go the direct labour route under the new regulations with the house but do these apply when building a garge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

foundation and floor can cost You around 5-6k
    Direct labor is good if You know exactly what You want. Same person who signs off Your house, can sign off garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Any other opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Jane98 wrote: »
    3) I know it is very hard to go the direct labour route under the new regulations with the house but do these apply when building a garge?

They apply to the building works that are covered by a planning grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

kkelliher wrote: »
    They apply to the building works that are covered by a planning grant.

Ok. Thanks. So they will apply to the garage construction for me as we had to apply for permission to build the garage at the front of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Direct, as long as they either come recommended.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement