Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicky Byrne's Million Euro Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

That's shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

€25,000?

Absolutely pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

25 K :mad:
    Miserable b******s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

National Lottery making a mint.

WS gave out around 200k a week.

This lad gave away 69k. Awful. Just awful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

59.000 Euro won, biggest con that was ever made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

55000 total winnings + 14000 from that other game. 69000 in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

''shall we open it after the break''
    ''' eh there is a naught and a naught '' I can see it .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I didn't think it could be as bad this week, I was right, it was worse. What a load of old ****e!!!

The Million Euro Challenge.

Is certainly a challenge to watch it alright..

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Alibaba

Absolute rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

69,000 is all they gave out? Wow, that's very poor.

How much is a ticket for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Sounds like they got in the International Consultants who told them that Winning Streak was a terrible idea and that it was old, boring, hackneyed, tacky and those two presenters were too friendly.

They replaced it with something clever, and now they've shot themselves in both feet and will probably have lost the good will of loads of lottery buyers.

They've also replaced the Lotto machines for some reason with ones that don't have ticket checkers. Loads of people are complaining about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Watched for about 5mins, what a pile of ****e, nb is grand though just the show itself is poor

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Alibaba

Can see lottery tickets dropping like a stone.

Used to like Winning Streak but this is absolute tripe.

Won't be watching again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Sounds like they got in the International Consultants who told them that Winning Streak was a terrible idea and that it was old, boring, hackneyed, tacky and those two presenters were too friendly.

They replaced it with something clever, and now they've shot themselves in both feet and will probably have lost the good will of loads of lottery buyers.

They've also replaced the Lotto machines for some reason with ones that don't have ticket checkers. Loads of people are complaining about that.

This is totally unacceptable. They are treating the Irish people with absolute contempt with their s***e game show and no way of checking your ticket in store. Add in how often the terminals are down since they took over and it's a real cluster of fcuk...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Watched for about 5mins, what a pile of ****e, nb is grand though just the show itself is poor

You seem to be contradicting your own opinion and all within the same sentence which makes little or no sense at all! What exactly are you trying to say? To paraphrase what you said: You watched it for a few minutes and you found that the show is crap, nb is ok though :confused: just the show itself is poor.

You might want to redeem yourself here and at least come down on either one side or the other as the thread title is actually all about the show itself: Nicky Byrne's Million Euro Challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

SpaceTime wrote: »

New machines do have ticket checkers but they can't read the old tickets. There is a difference. Biggest complaint, which is also pointless in my opinion, is with the new machines you have to use the new forms as you can't use the old ones but you get people who stick with the old one because somehow it's lucky. Trying to get them to fill out the new forms is a right pain.

I watched most of the show last week and tonight I just saw the final part of the show where the last 2 contestants played for the chance to win the Starprize

1st Runners-Up dual players won 15K approx. in Total
    2nd Runners-Up dual players won 15K approx. in Total as well
    Winning dual players won around 25K approx. in Total after all their previous earnings were added

55K for tonights players who actually took part in Nicky Byrne's Million Euro Challenge (amt excludes Home Viewers games/prizes given)

This new TV show format is clearly lacking and in my view is highly unlikely to achieve similar ratings to it's predecessor amid falling ticket sales. The games look similar, long winded and repetitive from a viewer point of view. The prize winnings seem very mean-spirited from The National Lottery compared to it's previous format. If they are so stuck for revenue, maybe they need to look at the values given away in Lotto, Lotto +1 and Lotto +2 as they risk destroying every piece of goodwill built up since 1990 otherwise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Is this going to replace winning streak forever? Winning streak was crap but at least it had Marty. Marty for life.

Winning Streak WILL be back. ;)

It's like strike it lucky
    What is a hotspot ,not so hot .
    It's nothing like Strike it Lucky! At least Michael Barrymore had a bit of personality about him! A bit of energy! I used enjoy watching that. I don't know why I'm torturing myself tonight with this!

SiL also had a proper format, and a brilliant theme tune:

Awight? :D;)

• Advertisement

The production qualities are cringe-worthingly bad. From the supermarket checkout routine to pulling paper envelopes out of a pyramidal chiffarobe to the overuse of Times New Roman in the show graphics.

I remember on Winning Streak a door would open or something would appear on a screen to show a prize. Having a washed up boyband member flipping over a piece of paper doesn't quite have the same effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Sparko

You seem to be contradicting your own opinion and all within the same sentence which makes little or no sense at all! What exactly are you trying to say? To paraphrase what you said: You watched it for a few minutes and you found that the show is crap, nb is ok though :confused: just the show itself is poor.

You might want to redeem yourself here and at least come down on either one side or the other as the thread title is actually all about the show itself: Nicky Byrne's Million Euro Challenge

Sounds like he is saying the show is crap but Nicky Byrne is ok?

The Indo published an article about the show today - but, of course, they didn't do the greatest job of it. :rolleyes:

So here's my edit. :o;)

80 complain over Nicky Byrne's 'stingy' new game show on RTE

RTE and the National Lottery have defended their new TV game show, following criticism from viewers that the games were too complicated and the prize money "stingy".

To date, RTE has received 80 complaints about The Million Euro Challenge, which they say represents less than 0.017% of the viewers who watched it.

An average of 487,000 viewers tuned in to watch Nicky Byrne present the The Million Euro Challenge and while comments about the host were favourable, the loss of Winning Streak irked some viewers.

The average viewership for Winning Streak between September and December last was 333,900.

Chief among the complaints were that the prize money did not compare to the amounts given away on Winning Streak and that a viewers' game required access to a computer, which they did not have.

The new Saturday night game show involves three teams of two friends or family members, who compete for a chance to play for €1m.

Viewers at home can also play but, crucially, have to register their codes on the lottery.ie website.

Gone also is the popular wheel. Instead, one of the teams goes on to the Million Euro Challenge pyramid for the chance to win €1m.

A spokesperson for the National Lottery insisted that The Million Euro Challenge was the highest prize-paying TV game show in Europe.

"The odds of winning €1m are 1:17, which is many times better than any other TV game show ever offered by the National Lottery," the spokesperson said. "The odds are, to the best of our knowledge, the best TV game show odds in the world of winning a million."

A spokesperson for Nicky Byrne said the show was in its first week and there were always teething problems with first nights.

"Nicky's a very positive person and will continue to do the best with what he has," she said.

Viewers also took to social media to express their dissatisfaction with the new show.

Among them was Fine Gael TD for Limerick, Patrick O'Donovan, who tweeted: "Did Nicky Byrne just say 'Kevin are you still awake'? Think that says it all."

Another commented: "You'd need a Masters in Engineering to understand that game. Poor aul ones haven't the foggiest what's happening."

Another viewer suggested it might be easier to find Tutankhamen in the pyramid than €1m.

And if you want to see what I altered or cut out... :o:D;)

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/80-complain-over-nicky-brynes-stingy-new-gameshow-on-rte-30914712.html

thelad95 wrote: »
    The production qualities are cringe-worthingly bad. From the supermarket checkout routine to pulling paper envelopes out of a pyramidal chiffarobe to the overuse of Times New Roman in the show graphics.

I remember on Winning Streak a door would open or something would appear on a screen to show a prize. Having a washed up boyband member flipping over a piece of paper doesn't quite have the same effect.

Remember they used to go on a virtual tour of irelands tourists spots. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Let's be clear here. Somebody, you do not know, has made a decision that Nicky Byrne will be shielded from the blow that having ZERO talent will not provide him with the lifestyle he has become accustomed to.
    You have no control over this. Your money is paying for this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

That "code" game mid way through was truly bizarre.

It's quite disgraceful that such can occupy prime time TV.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Remember they used to go on a virtual tour of irelands tourists spots. Good times.

Ah, Treasure Ireland. ;)

Streak never made a big impression, though, did he? Even though he was the show's unofficial mascot for the entirety of Derek Mooney's time as host...

JapaneseHeadon.jpg

Sparko wrote: »
    Sounds like he is saying the show is crap but Nicky Byrne is ok?

You could be right! I never thought that the poster was trying to suggest that he admired Nicky as host. Perhaps this might be the case...I've absolutely nothing against it even if he does like him as each to their own and I've nothing at all against Nicky as a personality. I just think The National Lottery/RTÉ got this one seriously wrong and I think once the current run finishes before Winning Streak returns next Summer, it will probably not return!

That "code" game mid way through was truly bizarre.

It's quite disgraceful that such can occupy prime time TV.

Yer man was gas on it tonight in fairness.

• Advertisement

Let's be clear here. Somebody, you do not know, has made a decision that Nicky Byrne will be shielded from the blow that having ZERO talent will not provide him with the lifestyle he has become accustomed to.
    You have no control over this. Your money is paying for this

ateamamericafix57h.gif

:o:o:o:o:);)

Advertisement