Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicky Byrne's Million Euro Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I was tempted to call this programme a pile of FYM, but that stuff is useful! I wonder how long will it take for them to axe this drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

madmaggie wrote: »
    I was tempted to call this programme a pile of FYM, but that stuff is useful! I wonder how long will it take for them to axe this drivel.

I suspect you had a typo with your post from earlier and you were intending to say useless rather than "useful" ? Surely you meant useless,eh ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Let's be clear here. Somebody, you do not know, has made a decision that Nicky Byrne will be shielded from the blow that having ZERO talent will not provide him with the lifestyle he has become accustomed to.

Good man Yosser, how are things.. I wouldnt agree that he has NO talent at all, but certainly 2015 seems to be the year of Byrne, for RTE... But it does seem like Nicky is the current favourite with RTE management. He's jumped a couple of rungs on the ladder to get this lottery show and his own radio show (with Jenny Greene)

tbh, I would have thought that one of the usuals would have gotten this show.... Geri Maye, Marty Whelan, Sinead Kennedy, Brian Ormond, Nuala Carey, Ella McSweeney, Aidan Power? All overlooked to bring in Nicky Byrtne. Somebody certainly like him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Winning Streak WILL be back. ;)
    I hope so, I buy one ticket a week, I have a load of 3 star tickets, there is absolutely no way I would send them in, with the current format show, the chances are I would be financially worse off even if my ticket was successful. I take it each contestant still has to bring 20 friends to be in the audience. By the time you have organised travel to Dublin and at least a meal for each of your friends there is every possibility having your ticket pulled will actually cost you.

Don't even get me started on the stub winners. 2 in 3 chance that you will travel to Dublin to get nothing.

THE WHOLE THING HAS BECOME FARCE AND A KICK IN THE FACE TO PEOPLE WHO BUY TICKETS.

Good man Yosser, how are things.. I wouldnt agree that he has NO talent at all, but certainly 2015 seems to be the year of Byrne, for RTE... But it does seem like Nicky is the current favourite with RTE management. He's jumped a couple of rungs on the ladder to get this lottery show and his own radio show (with Jenny Greene)

tbh, I would have thought that one of the usuals would have gotten this show.... Geri Maye, Marty Whelan, Sinead Kennedy, Brian Ormond, Nuala Carey, Ella McSweeney, Aidan Power? All overlooked to bring in Nicky Byrtne. Somebody certainly like him

There is no way that Geri Maye or Marty would put their stamp on something like this. The only one shallow enough to take this on is Nicky Byrne.

• Advertisement

I suspect you had a typo with your post from earlier and you were intending to say useless rather than "useful" ? Surely you meant useless,eh ?

The FYM is useful, the other, well you get my drift. Could be a typo, dosed up on Benylin, Lemsip, Strepsils, etc, so not quite with it. :(

Ah, Treasure Ireland. ;)

Streak never made a big impression, though, did he? Even though he was the show's unofficial mascot for the entirety of Derek Mooney's time as host...

JapaneseHeadon.jpg

Derek Mooney's familiar phrases:

FANNNN.....TASTIC!!
    Win & Spin game:
    Time to Go To THEEEEEE..... "BUBBLE"! (as opposed to the Ball Machine)
    OOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!.unlucky ... Back we must go to the BUBBLE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

I used to buy one WS scratchcard every week to try my luck. I'm going to start playing the lotto instead or use the money to buy tickets for local draws. They must be giving out a lot more 3 stars with this gameshow too. I got 3 scratchcards with 3 stars in a row. My sister got 2, 3 stars cards in a row. I used to rarely get scratchcards with 3 stars with the WS format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

A spokesperson for Nicky Byrne said the show was in its first week and there were always teething problems with first nights.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/80-complain-over-nicky-brynes-stingy-new-gameshow-on-rte-30914712.html

Those are some funking big teeth.

The FYM is useful, the other, well you get my drift. Could be a typo, dosed up on Benylin, Lemsip, Strepsils, etc, so not quite with it. :(

Oh sorry you are under the weather! Get well soon then ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I miss Sinead & Marty.

There was something "old school" classic RTE about Winning Streak. It was in that same genre of production as the old Den.

Sadly, a little piece of Ireland died when they decided to decommission it and it was one of the nicer, more fun pieces too. Tacky, but fun.

It's a bit like putting Zuppy down!

cofy wrote: »
    There is no way that Geri Maye or Marty would put their stamp on something like this. The only one shallow enough to take this on is Nicky Byrne.

Oh I would reckon it was not even offered to any of the other TV presenters (no disrespect intended to any of them) but I would imagine that The National Lottery, especially in light of it's recent shake up clearly specified that they now wanted a relatively youngish celebrity/ex-boyband member to front their new prime-time TV game show.

Hope you are feeling better, don't forget to try olbas oil.

Winning Streak WILL be back. ;)

Of course, even if and when Winning Streak returns as suggested for the Summer months period, there is no guarantee that the new owners of The National Lottery/RTÉ will present it as follows:

2 TV Show Presenters: Marty & Sinéad
    5 contestants playing
    Run with the last Winning Streak order/type of games format used
    Identical prize money options with same minimum 20K each
    Same Big Wheel /Grand Prize winning segment amounts

Ta, cofy, forgot about that old reliable.:D

Winning Streak is now Loosing Streak.

Ta, cofy, forgot about that old reliable.:D
    Hope you feel better soon. xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

DoomZ wrote: »
    Maybe the old voting machines finally got used.

Considering Bertie Ahern's Son-in-Law is at the helm, maybe that was part of the contract.
    Try to help save on expenses.

Somebody up there must really not like Brian Ormond....

up there being RTE I mean of course...

After that business with the Viper...can you blame them? I wouldn't let the guy near my piggybank, never mind have him hosting a show where thousands are give out.
    They might be afraid he would try and rope in contestants into another one of his 'sure thing' money making deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

cofy wrote: »
    Winning Streak is now Loosing Streak.

What are they loosing, surely it's not the coffers, this is the lottery after all.

Losing viewers is what they are losing. ;)

• Advertisement

There was a whole load of pre-publicity in advance of the show going out on RTÉ One TV and the angle stated back then was that this was just a pilot airing of a quiz show idea. If it scored high in the ratings, it was suggested that it may well return as part of a new series at some point in the future. I saw the show at the time and it was alright - I've seen worse quiz shows but to be fair, I've also seen better ones.

I believe the main reason RTÉ decided not to continue with the Irish version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? hosted by Gay Byrne in the early 2000s was mainly to do with the high costs of storing the studio sets for the show - they were not prepared to fork out for these high costs was apparently the stumbling block as I understand that the ratings were not the problem with the show here.

Back to Nicky Byrne's Million Euro Challenge - I wonder how serious RTÉ/The National Lottery are taking the high levels of negative reaction voiced on the changes! Can they really afford to keep the unpopular format running until next Summer or will they opt for tweaking it asap before they lose any more punters? Time will tell I guess...

As I recall, it was a number of factors - Who Wants to be a Millionaire I mean. First, ratings went down very quickly with that show (though quite a few can recall that one guy who was the only Irish person to not win anything. Like, zero money. He didn't know the name for a female rabbit, (a doe) and neither did the audience. He didn't make it to the 1000 euro question, and so, in front of a million Irish viewers, walked away with nothing. I still laugh about it at times to this day). It went from over a million, to a million, to just under a million, and gradually went down to about 300, 000 viewers.
    Well, for a show that is giving out big money, that's not good. So RTE tried fixing the format of the show. It originally aired half an hour before Fair City, then Fair City ran, and they the second half hour of Millionaire aired. As the ratings went down, they moved it in the timeslot, and a full hour aired. But ratings still went down, then they moved the day it was on (to the weekend I believe). Until finally, it lost its sponsor, and, like the recent Irish MasterChef, it did not get a new sponsor. (I believe Vodafone was sponsoring it).
    Without a sponsor, an audience, or someone to provide the money, the show was never resurrected.

thelad95 wrote: »
    This honestly seems like it belongs on the Savage Eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjOZtWZ56lc

I always thought that Numberwang was a great parody of incomprehensible quiz shows.

And then Million Euro Game show comes along...and numberwang starts to look comprehensible...
    And NumberWang's host is less smug.

http://thecorknews.ie/articles/oflynn-challenges-national-lottery-17406

Cork's Deputy Lord Mayor has also complained to RTE and the National Lottery about the new tickets.

So it's good that people are making their voices heard.
    Wonder if the protests will get as big as the Water Charges? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

So are we officially going to call this show Sh#t Streak from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

I watched it again last night to give it one last chance. I thought it was really weird when the players spoke about their families at the start that the camera didn't pan to the family members even for a second. The faceless family members that are supposedly sitting in the audience. The whole show is as flat as a pancake. It's sad that the majority of the money is ultimately going out of the country too.

RTE phone lines hopping with the complains about the show... lol

80 complain over Nicky Bryne's 'stingy' new gameshow on RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Im not sure i could keep a straight face if i got picked
    VzPGSsQ.jpg

Im not sure i could keep a straight face if i got picked

I think keeping your eyes open would be the primary concern...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

A sorry excuse for a TV show. Nicky Byrne does his best and I think he's actually quite good. But it's impossible to win any money and it's clear the show was put together at very low cost.
    If it was aired 25 years ago that I'd have said it was good quality but this is 2015.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

According to that article there is a 1:17 chance to win the million. No way are the odds that good, or have my maths skillsxlet me down. I would expect its less that 1% chance of getting the million.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Advertisement