Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicky Byrne's Million Euro Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

"Over 480,000 viewers watched the first episode, followed by a very credible 290,000 for the second episode."

The figure for the second episode was only 60% that of the first, and it's "very credible"?

bitcoin-flexcoin.jpg

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Won't say anything else. It is on for a guaranteed length of time. They can't sack him after 2 shows. I don't think he's the biggest problem anyways.

They didn't, because he's hosted three. :o:D;)

brian_t wrote: »
    I haven't watched a full episode of this but I thought that the second person was just there to support the main player and therefore not entitled to any of the winnings unless the winner wants to share.
    5starpool wrote: »
    That is the case I believe, which is weird as it's not like they need any help deciding which cd case to pick or anything. Perhaps they are there to keep the main contestant awake though? That would be a useful service I guess.

Well, I for one am under the impression that each team splits their winnings 50:50... :o;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

IS Nicky Byne reminding anyone else of Henry Sellers from Father Ted? Him and Alan Hughes seem to have the same presenting style and everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

Mmm 290,000 'watched' it. Are you sure they didn't fall asleep with the TV on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Watched the second episode as i had bought a ticket.
    Thought it would have been a lot better than what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

If you flick on to it for a second, are you considered as having 'watched' the whole program? Saturday night is prime-time for television so if people are going to flick around, they're going to land on RTÉ 1 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

The Million Pound Flop. Ehhhh?

I'm here all week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Headlines today on the Irish Sun, RTE are desperate to save the show as 200k viewers turn off, they also say that RTE staff and families were being brought in to make up the audience numbers, its a shambles of a show .

Aerohead wrote: »
    Headlines today on the Irish Sun, RTE are desperate to save the show as 200k viewers turn off, they also say that RTE staff and families were being brought in to make up the audience numbers, its a shambles of a show .

I wonder if Marty Whelan and Sinead Kennedy are sitting in and watching the show going downhill. Rubbing their hands with glee...

Nah, probably not. Marty's a gent. I would be the opposite, staring down my competition.

There's a Harvey Goldsmith (among other music managers) term that one shouldn't attach onesself to a bomb. If it's a concert that has low ticket sales, don't do a Samantha Mumba and promote it on the Late Late Show, all whilst the people running it are getting ready to cancel the show.

But with a TV show, it's much, much harder to axe the thing...even if its already dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Aerohead wrote: »

They say they are happy with Flicky Byrne and he's doing a great job, this is political speak for "he's fooked" hopefully cos he's crap.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

He's like a fish out of water. I kept thinking he would start calling out the weekly offers on the groceries. I wish they'd have a real Irish character with natural wit and humour to present it. I'm sure Nicky Byrne is a lovely guy but he got to where he is because he knows people who know people. I doubt he ever sent his CV into RTE.

• Advertisement

He's like a fish out of water. I kept thinking he would start calling out the weekly offers on the groceries. I wish they'd have a real Irish character with natural wit and humour to present it. I'm sure Nicky Byrne is a lovely guy but he got to where he is because he knows people who know people. I doubt he ever sent his CV into RTE.

Coupled with a stint on Strictly Come Dancing...a show he is cut out for, with all the spray tan and bleached teeth.

I think Brian Ormond would have gotten the gig before all that Viper business. Didn't help that the internet show the Lottery did was an experiment that just died on its butt, and Ormonde was the face of it.

Byrne doesn't have the spontaneity that guys like Derek Mooney and MArty Whelan have (I am using guys as a reference, just because the presenter is male. I am sure I could pick a female presenter or two, if the comparison was also female) if there wasn't a prompter in front of him, he would be lost like a rabbit in headlights. Mooney would hug a contestant if they were shy or in shock. Marty often does the same, or jokes around with contestants.
    But Byrne just doesn't come across as genuine. He's in way over his head.
    It's not as painful as Ryan Tubridy on the Rose of Tralee, but it's pretty close.

I think Brian Ormond would have gotten the gig before all that Viper business. Didn't help that the internet show the Lottery did was an experiment that just died on its butt, and Ormonde was the face of it.

Until I did some further research, I thought you meant this Viper.....

hqdefault.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

The most boring contrived show in the history of television

The Up or Down show is honestly like something off Father Ted.

Nicky Byrne isn't right for the gig but aside from that the production qualities let this show down big time. Even though the show is meant to be 'tension filled', the production team does nothing to create tension. The same monotonous melody plays in the background for the whole show. Why not have an ominous tone playing when contestants make a selection, and a positive melody when they win a big prize? Why not dim the studio lights and play a 'dun-dun' melody in the background (like a heartbeat) for the final pyramid game? None of these suggestions are groundbreaking to be honest but would add to the viewing experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

thelad95 wrote: »
    The Up or Down show is honestly like something off Father Ted.

Brian Ormonde isn't right for the gig but aside from that the production qualities let this show down big time. Even though the show is meant to be 'tension filled', the production team does nothing to create tension. The same monotonous melody plays in the background for the whole show. Why not have an ominous tone playing when contestants make a selection, and a positive melody when they win a big prize? Why not dim the studio lights and play a 'dun-dun' melody in the background (like a heartbeat) for the final pyramid game? None of these suggestions are groundbreaking to be honest but would add to the viewing experience.

You mean Nicky Byrne?

You mean Nicky Byrne?

Yeah, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Anyone watching this tonight for a good old laugh..???

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

You joking? That's about as much of a laugh as Duffy s funny Friday

You joking? That's about as much of a laugh as Duffy s funny Friday

Ahem...
    You have to see it as a comedy..!!! lol.

:o:o:o:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Ha... No mention of what she won on Winning Streak - sounded like she was under orders by the producers!

• Advertisement

Hes talking ****e at the minute...

Watching it now...and we have had at least 7-8 shots of the audience...in the first 3 minutes. See...see... we have an audience...says the RTE director.

And the banter with that first lady is giving mostly monosyllabic answers...oh dear.

And yeah, the money is for only one person...its up the main contestant if they want to share the cash.

Terasa is a good old laugh...not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭John Cherry

She's not giving him much info lol.

"Here are the nine contestants preparing for today's show. Only one of them will win up to £10,000. The others will leave with nothing when voted off as..."

...oh, wait, wrong show.

But it's a much, MUCH better opening spiel from a much, MUCH better voice-over on a much, MUCH, MUCH better game show.

:o:o:o:D;)

The 2 old dears should be in the Hunger Games...Ha ha

Teresa is looking very serious here....

How the F does this game work, I'm confused...lol..by the looks of the audience I'dsay there's a fare few
    Zimmer frames parked outside the studio...ha ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭John Cherry

How the F does this game work, I'm confused...lol..by the looks of the audience I'dsay there's a fare few
    Zimmer frames parked outside the studio...ha ha ha

Bring back Marty and the lovely Sinead. This show looks like it's pretty stingy with what they give out.

• Advertisement

And yeah, the money is for only one person...its up the main contestant if they want to share the cash.

Jesus Horatio Christ.

double-face-palm.jpg

Advertisement