Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicky Byrne's Million Euro Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

all that for 38k ???

And, incredibly, they don't automatically split that amount 50:50. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

on the winning streak patience game if you picked 4 boxes without getting patience youd have won more in that one game than that shambles there

How much did the players win this week?

€85,000 by my reckoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bloopy

Just watched the last 15 minutes of this "show".
    It is shockingly boring.
    I cannot see the Winning Streak audience of auld wans hanging around for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I think RTE have let Nicky down, the format doesn't work at all.

Part of me also thinks that the blue rinse brigade are annoyed that Marty has been dropped. It's like when The Afternoon Show replaced Live At Three. Sometimes, it's a mistake to fix something that isn't broken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭John Cherry

all that for 38k ???

You'd end up getting that after 1 game on Winning Streak.

This game show won't be getting another season that's for sure. It's suppose to be part of RTE Saturday night entertainment. It's truly awful TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Have RTE only provided Nicky with only the one suit??
    Is it not the same blue rig-out every week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

MrsD007 wrote: »

Is Nicky what we are calling the licence payer now?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭agrostar

mikom wrote: »
    Is Nicky what we are calling the licence payer now?

I think poor ole Nicky is the only winner in this sad excuse of a game show...
    Wonder how much he's getting paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Alibaba

Awful rubbish !

More exciting watching paint dry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Alibaba wrote: »
    Awful rubbish !

More exciting watching paint dry

At least if U are watching paint dry, you get some satisfaction if U had been painting it. Unlike this shambles of a replacement RTÉ/National Lottery co-production! A few weeks into the new programme and it remains an ordeal to even switch on for a few minutes at the very end.

So the new owners of National Lottery were tasked with saving funds now that it's been purchased by mainly overseas interests however; any fool would have told them that if they if they got too stingy and mean-spirited, the TV audience and Ticket Scratchcard Customers will abandon this in their droves. By the time they wake up and face reality it will be too late to stem the mounting losses due to even larger drops in sales which will now accelerate in my view. One would have thought that any radical change to the TV Show would have been properly tested and tweaked with reaction from several studio audience gatherings (from outside RTÉ/National Lottery) before they ever went ahead with this format. Whoever made the final decision of this format should be considering their position as it's a fiasco!

Now before RTÉ/National Lottery bother coming up with any new show formats, please have the legislation amended so that any new show creations are not restricted to the narrow game of chance/luck as we could do with more by way of variety and excitement and even a small little bit of intelligence at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

You'd end up getting that after 1 game on Winning Streak.

This game show won't be getting another season that's for sure. It's suppose to be part of RTE Saturday night entertainment. It's truly awful TV.

The whole of RTE's Saturday night entertainment is truly awful TV:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

How much given away in total and how much given away in pyramid?

Gits_bone wrote: »
    How much given away in total and how much given away in pyramid?

€85k and €15k respectively. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

shocking! I cant watch it but this thread sounds like a repeat of the one I did watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I have a feeling the audience ratings for this will be though the floor within a few weeks - all the 'middle Ireland' types who used to watch Winning Streak seem to think it's abysmal.

As tacky as Winning Streak was, it did have a certain fun vibe and entertainment value to it that this is just completely lacking.

The feel good factor is gone completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Parents of mine loved winning streak and even saying Marty would be better than no talent Nicky Byrne! They have stopped watching it or buying the scratch cards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

MrsD007 wrote: »

Part of me also thinks that the blue rinse brigade are annoyed that Marty has been dropped. It's like when The Afternoon Show replaced Live At Three. Sometimes, it's a mistake to fix something that isn't broken.

Open house replaced Live at Three, The Afternoon show replaced Open House. That's the one that caused all the ructions.
    And there was a good reason why people hated The AfterNoon Show. Blathnaid N Chofaigh screaming at the audience, Anna Nolan looking like she needed a bottle of vodka to get through an episode, and Sheana KEane being the only likable person there.
    There was a hilarious ' dying on her @$$' interview between Anna Nolan and Thomas Craig (who was playing Tommy Harris on Corrie at the time - one of the most hated families in Corrie history, mainly because they were so boring).
    Well, the interview was hilarious, because Nolan was so underprepared, she hadn't a clue. It included Craig saying ' are you blonde or summat' when she asked him if he supported Manchester United, after earlier telling her he was a NewCastle United fan'. It was one of many times she didn't listen to him in the interview. The camera then panned back to Sheana and Blathnaid absolutely p!$$ing themselves laughing at how awful the interview was going (I even remember the sounds of the behind the cameras crew laughing their butts off).
    Anna Nolan left the show, leaving Keane and Chofaigh. And they did NOT get on...Chofaigh was eventually sacked for bullying Sheana (Keane complained, RTE or whoever agreed), including Blathnaid getting angry that Keane had to bring her child to the RTE creche, and checking on the kid between breaks. It greatly affected Chofaigh's career, but tbh, she's someone I would rather not see on TV.
    RTE have bad luck when they put 2 or 3 (or more) women on a show, on their own. It just doesn't go well for them. And TAS was another example of this.
    You can read more about it here.
    http://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/blathnaid-silent-on-bully-claims-26526400.html

They sound so excited lol.

Did anyone else notice how they stopped going to the audience after the halfway point or so?

That's when we got the ' oooohhhh' and 'aaaahhhh' and clapping sound library files. I think by then even the staff were fleeing the audience seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Nick is a very good and natural presenter in my opinion. The show is not good. The first bit where they have to use a small bit of simple thought is reasonable but it all gets drawn out and becomes very boring.
    The old show was even worse though in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 demondoug

Think this is just a way to have less money to give out to players and it is a boring joke with a bad presenter

Open house replaced Live at Three, The Afternoon show replaced Open House. That's the one that caused all the ructions.
    And there was a good reason why people hated The AfterNoon Show. Blathnaid N Chofaigh screaming at the audience, Anna Nolan looking like she needed a bottle of vodka to get through an episode, and Sheana KEane being the only likable person there.
    There was a hilarious ' dying on her @$$' interview between Anna Nolan and Thomas Craig (who was playing Tommy Harris on Corrie at the time - one of the most hated families in Corrie history, mainly because they were so boring).
    Well, the interview was hilarious, because Nolan was so underprepared, she hadn't a clue. It included Craig saying ' are you blonde or summat' when she asked him if he supported Manchester United, after earlier telling her he was a NewCastle United fan'. It was one of many times she didn't listen to him in the interview. The camera then panned back to Sheana and Blathnaid absolutely p!$$ing themselves laughing at how awful the interview was going (I even remember the sounds of the behind the cameras crew laughing their butts off).

Ah, the unimaginatively-titled Afternoon Show - Live at Three / Open House with a younger, entirely female presenting team, and a generous sprinkling of Celtic Tiger-ness. :o:o:o;)

Anna is usually decent in front of the camera - so I'd reckon the way that interview with Thomas Craig turned out was more the fault of the producers than hers.

(Yes, I am a fan of hers. :o:D;))

Anna Nolan left the show, leaving Keane and Chofaigh. And they did NOT get on...Chofaigh was eventually sacked for bullying Sheana (Keane complained, RTE or whoever agreed), including Blathnaid getting angry that Keane had to bring her child to the RTE creche, and checking on the kid between breaks. It greatly affected Chofaigh's career, but tbh, she's someone I would rather not see on TV.

Yet Bláthnaid still turns up on RTE shows from time to time, whereas Sheana... :o;)

RTE have bad luck when they put 2 or 3 (or more) women on a show, on their own. It just doesn't go well for them. And TAS was another example of this.

They could learn from watching Tess and Claudia on Strictly... but they probably won't. :rolleyes: ;)

Getting back on topic, the viewers' game may as well be called Guess the Digit.

It's bad enough that it has the same name as the first game, and that like that game it features a four-digit "code" and some jewellery cases with a digit in each.

But while the contestants have to guess all four digits in their "codes", the viewers only have to guess the last digit in this "code".

And it is possible for the first viewer to guess correctly on his/her first go, thus making it a bit of a wasted journey for the other two viewers...

:o:o :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

Ah, the unimaginatively-titled Afternoon Show - Live at Three / Open House with a younger, entirely female presenting team, and a generous sprinkling of Celtic Tiger-ness. :o:o:o;)

Anna is usually decent in front of the camera - so I'd reckon the way that interview with Thomas Craig turned out was more the fault of the producers than hers.

(Yes, I am a fan of hers. :o:D;))

Well, she just did not seem interested, and hence why he started ripping her to pieces.

She concluded the interview with ' Well, I can't wait to watch Friday's episode where you die...' and that was the sign off. So if she had been in any way interested, it may not have been such a disaster.
    I remember Sheana Keane left the show, then came back after a year or two (she had her own show at the time, the health squad, I think) so she was an asset to RTE.
    But I also remember there were others who disliked how she first appeared on Open House, in a sub role. When OH got the chop, and she took the TAS gig, it just seemed like she had no loyalty to the original show. Which she kind of didn't.
    I believe TV 3 are trying to recruit her now, she is seen as likable. I think they realise the mistake they made with LK. Possibly why the ' Blind Date' show may not be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Why spend money on Million Euro scratch cards to have a small chance of getting on the show and an even smaller chance of walking away with a decent cash prize.

My parents hate the show and they are big fans of Winning Streak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭George White

I believe TV 3 are trying to recruit her now, she is seen as likable. I think they realise the mistake they made with LK. Possibly why the ' Blind Date' show may not be happening.

In thought that Blind Date was already on.
    There seemed a ton of publicity.
    What happened with Lucy Kennedy? Did they realise she was a terrible host?

Well, it was on, until they lost every show in their line up. Now, its looking less likely.

But according to some sites, aka The Goss .ie , TV3 have offered Colin Farrell a role in Red Rock...which they think he will accept, so the minds in TV3 are not working too well at all.
    Plus many of their planned shows have been scrapped, so its looking less likely that BD will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

33K :eek: thats some step down from the winning days

Or 16.5K each

Should of renamed it Nicky Byrne rescission proof challenge. Looks like it was filmed in one of the old abandoned RTE studio rooms where they now use to stock the mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Spoiler for tonight's show if you're one of the 23 people still watching. They are so desperate to generate excitement that they're actually giving the result; just not the name of the person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

So according to the RTE News App someone wins €100,000 on that pyramid game tonight, and they were just a 0 away from a million. It really smells like a fix (nobody else got anywhere close) to get some much needed positive attention to this horrible show. The story not only reveals this but explains the rules of all the games which has no relevance at all.

Advertisement