Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicky Byrne's Million Euro Challenge

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

What is he even doing with his hand???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

This has fix written all over it.
    Ratings and sales going down and people complaining about prizes and then they advertise before the show that someone has won 100k to garner attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I can see them re-launching Winning Streak in a few months tbh.

As they say.. if it ain't broke!

Whatever about the lottery revenues going down, this could be a major hole in RTE's income if advertisers start to flee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I can see them re-launching Winning Streak in a few months tbh.

As they say.. if it ain't broke!

Whatever about the lottery revenues going down, this could be a major hole in RTE's income if advertisers start to flee.

WS is supposed to return in the summer... but it could yet return earlier than that.

At present, RTE and the National Lottery would be a little on the mad side to persevere with the Million Euro Challenge until the end of May... :o:o;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I remember joking when I watched this snoozed through this show some weeks ago - "I wonder who got the job of pushing out the drawers."
    But it looks in that shot, that they are actually putting in the cards, so to my mind, and any right thinking mind, this is a fit up! On top of it being a poor viewer experience, the 'lucky contestants' are being shafted. Appalling stuff!

• Advertisement

What is he actually doing there? Sliding something in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

What a pile of scour.
    Primetime viewing on a Sat night on the nations broadcaster.

It's no wonder it's rarely I stray from the freesat channels.

ANd Nicky Byrnes haircut is hideous. Mutton dressed as lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭squonk

My parents are avid fans of the lottery shows so I invariably ended up watching WS a lot of weekend's I'm home for the weekend. While it was pretty poor it was reasonably followable and every so often they'd paint some gúna álainn onto Sinead to make it worthwhile watching for the rest of us! The new show just seems to be the most unintelligable, boring TV I've seen in a long while, and we're talking about a comparison with WS here :o.

From waht I see the new proprieters of the Lottery seem to have completely forgotten who it is actually buys the tickets! Judging by the clientelle on WS it was an older demographic. I was slightly shocked by the demographic on the Million Pound Drop in that they seem younger. I suspect the parents who buy the tickets are sending their children on to play. In my mother's case, you now have to enter a code to get into the draw for the 10,000 prize and, as she says hereslef, she can barely find the lotto numbers on the web let alone where to put in their code. She's quite pee'd off with the whole new format. I'd say Marty might be dusting down the suit before long at this rate!

I'd also add that the older generation are not as enamoured with Nicky Byrne as RTE/The Lottery think they are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The auld-wans LOVED Sinead btw .. she made white/grey hair ultra-fashionable and she was super-nice to everyone and Marty Wheelan is just ridiculously likeable.

You need someone to link the players arms so they can find the big wheel!

That's what WS was all about - loads of money, simple games, big tacky banners, lots of colours and noise and generally just a big tacky lottery show.

I've heard a few of old-lady types saying they're absolutely gutted and won't be buying any more lottery tickets until they're brought back. I think the lottery's not only failed to understand who watches the programme and buys the tickets, but also how sentimentally attached the audience is to the show and the presenters too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

I don't like Marty Whelan on Lyric FM but he is a professional and in his natural element when it comes to this kind of show. It was a clusterf*sck of management moronicisim to change the format and the show. They should restore Winning Streak and dump Byrne.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cold case

cold case wrote: »
    Did anyone else spot the hand behind the pyramid pushing the drawer closed from behind just there! When the person picks the number in the pyramid someone could be putting in a zero or a cash amount!!:mad:

I knew it! Very suspicious all this walking back and forth, asking are you sure number 15? Plenty of time for the person behind to slip in the envelope and push the drawer forward! They could decide in advance how much will be won. I would be raging if I was on the previous shows and got smaller amounts!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Halpenny

Was at the post office the other day and spotted the Million Euro Challenge scratch cards behind the counter. I asked how were they selling - post master gave me a look of disgust and said nobody likes the show so tickets wont budge. They probably couldn't give them away. Just a thought - I suppose the sale of other tickets have increased because of this now?

Anyway, I give the show 'til Easter then Winning Streak will be back on and it will be like old times again.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

The Millionaire thing is pretty bad.

Heard someone say they'd hate to appear of the dhow so they stopped buying tickets.

oh oh! Just seen an ad for this weekends Euro Challenge show and they're shaking it up. They're getting rid of the guest the contestants bring along and substituting them with celebs. Because it's Valentine's Day they're bringing on Marty Morrissey! Swooon!!

Just when we thought it couldn't get any worse :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭George White

Jesus H Corbett, they should add a wheel or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Halpenny wrote: »
    oh oh! Just seen an ad for this weekends Euro Challenge show and they're shaking it up. They're getting rid of the guest the contestants bring along and substituting them with celebs. Because it's Valentine's Day they're bringing on Marty Morrissey! Swooon!!

Just when we thought it couldn't get any worse :P

Jesus H. Christ on a hockey stick. That will be car-crash television of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Ah, but it could be a clever ploy to induce us to watch to see how bad it will be. Clenched teeth, and everything else! :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

they wont give in flogging a dead horse, but if it was some other entity rte would be over it , banging on and on on primetime, oh no silence from rte news and current affairs when it concerns itself and the blatant fixing of a gameshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Bob Odenkirk is flying in to validate the legitimacy of the show. I mean if Saul says it flies straight it's a boomerang, right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

they wont give in flogging a dead horse, but if it was some other entity rte would be over it , banging on and on on primetime, oh no silence from rte news and current affairs when it concerns itself and the blatant fixing of a gameshow.

No way a show gets canceled after two shows though, they will have to let it play out for half a season at least cause they will have no back up plan in place, plus they will have to come up with games where they give away x amount on average a week.
    I guess they felt a wheel was too risky for them starting out maybe or maybe they where just very tight.

Sidenote since the government sold the lotto does that mean anyone can setup their own lotto now?

No way a show gets canceled after two shows though

Tomorrow's show will be the sixth. :o;)

they will have to let it play out for half a season at least cause they will have no back up plan in place, plus they will have to come up with games where they give away x amount on average a week.

So if Winning Streak were to come back before the summer, it would probably be Easter at the earliest.

Sidenote since the government sold the lotto does that mean anyone can setup their own lotto now?

<PEDANT>

The government hasn't sold the lotto completely - An Post has a stake in Premier Lotteries Ireland. :o;)

</PEDANT>

madmaggie wrote: »
    Ah, but it could be a clever ploy to induce us to watch to see how bad it will be. Clenched teeth, and everything else! :o

Yeah they could be going for the cringe factor to get us watching - they might end up giving Marty Morrissey the job of show host seeing as he was filling in on radio 1 'til D'Arcy was on air. Then they'll probably give the games a sports theme and we'd be hooked...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Right I've a 3 star ticket, should I send it in? On the one hand as a student, even the measly amounts that are given out would be a massive help. On the other hand, I don't think my dignity or reputation would ever recover from playing 'Up or Down' to try and match the helicopter with the lawnmower for a chance to open a few drawers on a pyramid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

thelad95 wrote: »
    Right I've a 3 star ticket, should I send it in? On the one hand as a student, even the measly amounts that are given out would be a massive help. On the other hand, I don't think my dignity or reputation would ever recover from playing 'Up or Down' to try and match the helicopter with the lawnmower for a chance to open a few drawers on a pyramid.

Don't worry....you can go on that show, win money, and nobody will know...because nobody watches it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

Marty ****in morrissey....

squadro wrote: »
    Marty ****in morrissey....

I prefer his commentary to Ger Canning's, though. :o:D;)

There's Aengus Mac G... :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,242 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's Aengus Mac G... :D;)

Yes, I'm confused, his valentines date is a woman?

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm confused, his valentines date is a woman?

I guess a lot of women don't mind what his, um, orientation is... :o:o:o:o;)

Advertisement