Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicky Byrne's Million Euro Challenge

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just shows how bad ratings must be to adverrtise this tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭United Chester Men

I know this man!! Unfortunately not that well though! Some drinking in Swans and O Connors in naas for next month!

Just shows how bad ratings must be to adverrtise this tripe.

Well in fairness, it is a million quid. Well worth advertising that. Although its a bit annoying that there will be such an anti - climax to the show. Yeah, actually, it is annoying that it was advertised, that was a misjudgement. Imagine if they advertised that someone won a million pounds on Who Wants to be a Millionaire 2 days before it aired!

Anyway, its not as if its edge of the seat stuff, even with a million pounds on offer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Well in fairness, it is a million quid. Well worth advertising that. Although its a bit annoying that there will be such an anti - climax to the show. Yeah, actually, it is annoying that it was advertised, that was a misjudgement. Imagine if they advertised that someone won a million pounds on Who Wants to be a Millionaire 2 days before it aired!

Where have you been?

Any time a pre-recorded big-money game show gives away its top prize for the first time, the media outlets report on the event before it has actually been broadcast.

It happened with Millionaire, it happened with Deal or No Deal, and now it's happened with the Million Euro Challenge.

:o:o:o:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Winning a million euro on a game show isn't a big deal for the viewer anymore, especially on a show that's as fixed as the Qatar World Cup winning bid.

• Advertisement

Winning a million euro on a game show isn't a big deal for the viewer anymore, especially on a show that's as fixed as the Qatar World Cup winning bid.

It's not fixed. It is just bingo luck. No strategy, no logic, just pot luck. If it was an exciting show where peoples intelligence was used it would be much more interesting.

I don't get why people obsess about or are finding negative aspects of a production company wanting their contestants to do well, to even make a possible million. Is that not a good thing? Would you prefer if it was nigh on impossible to do so! I doubt you would complain! But viewing wise it makes for awful muck.

Where have you been?

Any time a pre-recorded big-money game show gives away its top prize for the first time, the media outlets report on the event before it has actually been broadcast.

It happened with Millionaire, it happened with Deal or No Deal, and now it's happened with the Million Euro Challenge.

:o:o:o:);)

No, it didn't (or are you being sarcastic?!) Both shows had huge viewer figures at the time and didn't need cheap publicity spoilers.

I actually think if RTE & The Lotto Company done a version of Deal or no Deal instead of this, it would make for much more exciting viewing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Is the million euro taken from tv licence money?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

catallus wrote: »

I think some of it comes from the lottery.

catallus wrote: »

not a penny of the prize money comes from tv licence.

All is from National Lottery, which itself was sold by the government to a private operator two years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

He is on the Liveline Show right now with Joe Duffy so that will be less to watch tomorrow night seeing as the cat is out of the bag, same guy says he won 100k two years ago in the bookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

No, it didn't (or are you being sarcastic?!) Both shows had huge viewer figures at the time and didn't need cheap publicity spoilers.

I actually think if RTE & The Lotto Company done a version of Deal or no Deal instead of this, it would make for much more exciting viewing
    Yes it did, I specifically remmeber my father calling me downstairs when I was a kid to watch Millionaire because the paper said it was going to be won that night.

Thargor wrote: »
    Yes it did, I specifically remmeber my father calling me downstairs when I was a kid to watch Millionaire because the paper said it was going to be won that night.

Fair enough! Apologies! I hate spoilers and that would have ruined the show for me! Whereas the damage is already done on the show that is the subject of this thread as it is such an abysmal format anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It happens all the time, the tabloids hear everything beforehand, I was pissed off back when I always watched The Cube and walked into a shop one day and every paper was saying Mo farah had just beaten it on their front page, wheres the tension then for tthe first 40 minutes it takes him to beat the other challenges if you know he's going to win? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Father Rabulah Conundrum

Would Byrne be classified as a twink?

I don't get why people obsess about or are finding negative aspects of a production company wanting their contestants to do well, to even make a possible million. Is that not a good thing? Would you prefer if it was nigh on impossible to do so! I doubt you would complain! But viewing wise it makes for awful muck.

I wouldn't disagree that the producers want the contestants to do well and win as much money as they can... but with the very greatest of respect, this is irrelevant if they don't produce a good viewing experience at the same time. :o

Here are two more luck-based, big-money game shows that didn't make particularly good viewing and thus were cancelled sooner rather than later - Justin Lee Collins' Heads or Tails, and Ant and Dec's Red or Black?:

And here are reviews of these shows by the excellent Iain Weaver on UKGameshows.com:

http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Weaver%27s_Week_2010-01-10 (Heads or Tails)
    http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Weaver%27s_Week_2011-09-18 (Red or Black? series 1)
    http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Weaver%27s_Week_2012-09-09 (Red or Black? series 2)

Huge viewing figures don't stop the media outlets - particularly the tabloids - from spoiling things. And it doesn't matter to them whether or not they really need to. :o :rolleyes: ;)

The National Lottery has already made a version of Deal or No Deal.

It was hosted by Keith Barry and aired on TV3 in 2009.

And it was cráp. :o:D:);)

Would Byrne be classified as a twink?

Well, I don't think I'd classify him as a Linda Martin, anyway... :o:o:o:o:D:D:D:D;);););)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

I wonder if the chance of Lottery provider has a lot to do with this TV car crash every week?

An Post lost the gig to some other crowd and they're not exactly endearing themselves to customers or politicians in one of the committees when they recently had to explain the debacle over the Lotto machines going dead.

I wonder if the chance of Lottery provider has a lot to do with this TV car crash every week?

An Post lost the gig to some other crowd and they're not exactly endearing themselves to customers or politicians in one of the committees when they recently had to explain the debacle over the Lotto machines going dead.

Oh, the change of Lottery provider has a lot to do with this show all right.

There's no way that the two things are completely unrelated to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

TV3 got Deal or No Deal so so wrong. It was fecking awful.

• Advertisement

For anyone who wants to see exactly how the million was won - and the other things that happened in the episode - it all starts at 7:30 tonight, due to something involving Micheál Martin. :o:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,520 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They will likely milk the bejaysus out of this story, expect a documentary some bank holiday weekend with a load of z listers explaining where they were when they say €1 million being won on Irish tv for the first time.

They will likely milk the bejaysus out of this story, expect a documentary some bank holiday weekend with a load of z listers explaining where they were when they say €1 million being won on Irish tv for the first time.

Second, actually... :o:D:);)
    THE celebratory New Year's champagne was opened early by a woman who has become the very first Winning Streak Millionaire.

Therese Croarkin, from Cortolvin View, Monaghan, could not believe her luck after she won the million-euro prize in a nail-biting finish to the pre-recorded show, to be broadcast tonight.

Therese works as a receptionist in Monaghan General Hospital and has been married to her husband, Tony, a plumber, for the past 18 years. They have four children: Claire, Orla, Anthony and Thomas.

"I'd like to wish all the people who supported me a very happy New Year. I just bought my Winning Streak ticket like everyone else and this is an unbelievable outcome," Therese said.

Her fellow players in the finish were Yvonne Dunne from Kilkenny, who won €50,000, and Kitty McCarthy from Limerick, who won €58,000. A total of 48 finalists made it through to the Winning Streak Millionaire show at the Helix in Dublin, watched by an audience of 650 people.

Therese was the first player to ever win €1m on the special New Year's Eve edition of the gameshow. Overall, over €1.6m was won by the 48 players on the show.

Host Derek Mooney selected three players each week on the Winning Streak gameshow since the season began in September. The final three players for the Helix show were selected last Saturday.

This Naas taxi driver has achieved the biggest win on a National Lottery game show, however, since he won an additional €18,000 from the first two games while Therese won nothing besides the thousand thousand.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I have the popcorn,Pringles and a bottle captains at the ready. I have the telly on the station and have taken the batteries out of the remote incase someone tries to change it and I'll miss IT :).

I have the popcorn,Pringles and a bottle captains at the ready. I have the telly on the station and have taken the batteries out of the remote incase someone tries to change it and I'll miss IT :).

Prepare to be underwhelmed. :o:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,520 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What I want to know is will RTÉ have the good fancy champagne out when he wins or would that be encouraging people to drink per 9pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Prepare to be underwhelmed. :o:D;)

Ah piss off Harvey :eek: Don't burst my bubble this early in the evening :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

I have a newly painted wall to watch. ;)

Tune in also tonight as RTE releases the name of the winner of The Voice Live final which is due to take place tomorrow night, whilst also releasing a spoiler of the forthcoming numbers of Wednesdays Lotto numbers. Followed by an analysis of how exactly Ireland won the World Cup, which is due to take place in Autumn.

Don't miss it.

• Advertisement

Announcer: "National Lottery history is about to be made on the Euro Million Challenge."

Oops... :o :rolleyes: :D;)

Advertisement