Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicky Byrne's Million Euro Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,382 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Are the crack the code part of the scratch cards useless now?

There is no end date on the scratch cards

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Are the crack the code part of the scratch cards useless now?

There is no end date on the scratch cards

I think so :(
    -The final date and time for entry will be 10:00am on Wednesday 20th May 2015 or such other date as may be determined by the National Lottery and posted on lottery.ie.

They should make that clear on the tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 82,520 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Was down in my local shop earlier they have a big almost lifesize cardboard cutout of Sinead Kennedy and Marty Whelan advertising Winning Streak coming back soon, they have the big guns out to attract the card scratchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Ballycarton

That's interesting. I was in my local shop in Wexford last week. I asked the shop assistant if many people were buying the new Winning Streak scratch cards.Her reply was "Not many are buying them as they think the new show is terrible & the prizes are very stingy." We both agreed about bringing back Marty Whelan and Sinead they were doing a far better job. Nicky Byrne is a very nice young man I am sure BUT he is not Marty if you get my drift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

That's interesting. I was in my local shop in Wexford last week. I asked the shop assistant if many people were buying the new Winning Streak scratch cards.Her reply was "Not many are buying them as they think the new show is terrible & the prizes are very stingy." We both agreed about bringing back Marty Whelan and Sinead they were doing a far better job. Nicky Byrne is a very nice young man I am sure BUT he is not Marty if you get my drift.

But surely many people will be buying the new Winning Streak (wink, wink, wink) scratch cards? :o:o;););)

• Advertisement

Announcer: "A good strategy is needed on the Million Euro Challenge."

single-tumbleweed-o.gif

Didn't say it was the last episode of the series, either.

It would be nice if they won a nice amount on the final show, although we would probably have heard about it by now if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Had to look this up ,
    Car crash TV!
    never seen anything like it , contender for worst show ever

"Any Reason?" does not, and never will, work as a stock question to why someone picked a number, Nicky.

The answer is always "No reason", "My Lucky number" or "someone's Birthday"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Any reason?
    NO
    thats comedy gold right there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

So we will have a wait of three solid weeks to Winning Streak to come back on our screens. That is a very long wait to endure for a returning gameshow that is a household name in Ireland for over 20 years.

I don't know why the National Lottery would think that this is a very good idea. These new Lottery owners really have such a hard grip on their new rules as they are becoming very conservative with handing out the cash on their new games.

Perhaps appropriately, the final Guess the Digit of the series saw the first viewer guess correctly on her first go - and show no excitement whatsoever at winning the €10k. :o;)

And at the very end, "My thanks to everyone who took part on the show, and to you at home for watching. Stay tuned for Marty and Sinead on Winning Streak."

Is this an implicit confirmation by Nicky that the Million Euro Challenge won't be returning...? :D;)

Skid X wrote: »
    It would be nice if they won a nice amount on the final show, although we would probably have heard about it by now if they did.

Only €13k on the pyramid and €30k in all, alas.

In the five episodes after the million was won (including this episode), no-one found more than four zeros on the pyramid, and hence no-one won more than €14k on it.

So we will have a wait of three solid weeks to Winning Streak to come back on our screens. That is a very long wait to endure for a returning gameshow that is a household name in Ireland for over 20 years.

I don't know why the National Lottery would think that this is a very good idea. These new Lottery owners really have such a hard grip on their new rules as they are becoming very conservative with handing out the cash on their new games.

Can't disagree.

I presume that next Saturday and the Saturday after, RTE1 will stick on repeats of Reeling in the Years or one of Pat Shortt's comedies, or show longer Big Big Movies.

And at the very end, "My thanks to everyone who took part on the show, and to you at home for watching. Stay tuned for Marty and Sinead on Winning Streak."

Is this an implicit confirmation by Nicky that the Million Euro Challenge won't be returning...? :D;)

He also said "Enjoy the Summer", which might imply that he and this turd of a programme might be back in some form :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭brian_t

or show longer Big Big Movies.

^^^ This one

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 is on RTÉ One at 18:35 on Saturday 6th June.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is on RTÉ One at 18:35 on Saturday 13th June.

I see that Saturday Night with Miriam is also starting on RTÉ One on Saturday 20th June after the news.

Maybe they wanted to start both shows the same night.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Alibaba

brian_t wrote: »
    ^^^ This one

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 is on RTÉ One at 18:35 on Saturday 6th June.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is on RTÉ One at 18:35 on Saturday 13th June.

I see that Saturday Night with Miriam is also starting on RTÉ One on Saturday 20th June after the news.

Maybe they wanted to start both shows the same night.

Let's face it.

Anything is better than that awful Million Euro Challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭brian_t

For fans of the Sunday repeat it's on at the earlier time of 10.15 am because of the golf.

^^^ This one

Showing the seventh HP film, and then showing the fourth... :rolleyes:

But they are both two-and-a-half hours long, so they'll certainly fill the gap.

And as Alibaba says, anything is better than the Million Euro Challenge...

For fans of the Sunday repeat it's on at the earlier time of 10.15 am because of the golf.

...including men trying to hit a small white ball into a hole several hundred yards away in as few strokes as possible, while trying not to land said ball in water or sand.

Far, far more skill involved in that, too.

:o:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭United Chester Men

the-end-2gt1jas.jpg

ItS OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poor Nicky!! I Know he knows how bad it was!!!

But how can you compete!!!!

Marty-Whelan.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭tafkach

Alibaba wrote: »
    Let's face it.

Anything is better than that awful Million Euro Challenge

Why is it called "Challenge"? There is no challenge in the game by design, it's all completely based on luck... It seems the only people who are challenged are the people who created the show...

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Alibaba

tafkach wrote: »
    Why is it called "Challenge"? There is no challenge in the game by design, it's all completely based on luck... It seems the only people who are challenged are the people who created the show...

Did you not know the reason it's called Challenge is because......

It's a Challenge to watch it 😉😉

ItS OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calm down, calm down... we now have to wait three weeks before Marty and Sinead return. :o:o:o:o;)

Meanwhile... here's a spreadsheet that I have been compiling over the course of the series.

It displays all 21 teams that played the Pyramid, and what each team found at each level, and how much they won. Cash amounts in red are those that were rejected by using the 'Pyramid Pass'.

ivcwsl.jpg

And here are some stats and facts from this spreadsheet:

* Average number of zeros: 3.86

* Modal number of zeros: 4 (seven times)

* Times zero found at Level 1: 21 (3 after the 'Pyramid Pass' was used)

* Times zero found at Level 2: 16 (4 after the 'Pyramid Pass' was used)

* Times zero found at Level 3: 12 (4 after the 'Pyramid Pass' was used)

* Times zero found at Level 4: 13 (1 after the 'Pyramid Pass' was used)

* Times zero found at Level 5: 10 (1 after the 'Pyramid Pass' was used)

* Times zero found at Level 6: 9

* Total money won: €1,702,200

* Average money won: €81,057.14 (but take out Martin & Martin Jr's win, and it plunges to €35,110)

* Every team used the 'Pyramid Pass' the first time they found a cash amount (not surprising, really)

* Of the eight occasions where the team used the 'Pyramid Pass' only to find another cash amount, on three of them was the second cash amount the same value as the first, and only once was it higher

* The 'Pyramid Pass' was used at Level 4 or higher only three times (again, not all that surprising)

* A €10,000 cash amount was found only three times - each time at Level 6, and after the 'Pyramid Pass' was used (so the team had no decision to make, contrary to what Nicky always said at the start of the game)

Make of all this what you will. :o:D:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Well everybody! Sounds like the final nail in the coffin for The Million Euro Challenge national lottery game show hosted by Nicky Byrne as Winning Streak has now been officially announced as continuing into the Autumn as well according RTÉ last night!
    I've nothing against improvements to Winning Streak from it's current format but the Million Euro Challenge was mean-spirited to most contestants, lacked in terms of an authentic atmosphere and was very boring for the viewing public to watch.

Winning Streak lives on!

See the below post on RTÉ TEN (The Entertainment Network ;))

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2015/0723/716759-million-euro-challenge-could-be-facing-the-axe/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Can remember watching it once and was one of the games where you basically pick a number between 1 and 10, but they do it a bit differently as in pick 9 numbers that you don't want?

eamonnq wrote: »
    Can remember watching it once and was one of the games where you basically pick a number between 1 and 10, but they do it a bit differently as in pick 9 numbers that you don't want?

You're probably thinking of 'Crack the Code', where each team picked four jewellery cases out of nine and then had to guess the digits hidden inside these cases. :););)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

So if I start a petition

Who's signing it??

but1er wrote: »
    So if I start a petition

Who's signing it??

A petition to bring it back?!

tumbleweed01.jpg

:o:D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

so the national lottery is increasing the costs of doing a line by 25% plus an extra 2 numbers being added cutting down chances of winning to near impossible, what business would get away with a 25 % increase in costs to consumers the english lottery increased its costs by 100% and got away with it
    these lotteriesare now taking the punters for suckers and mugs i have been doing lottery for years and will now reduce my weekly donation by 100% when new rules come into force next month,the new company running lottery has had problems with outlets lottery machines breaking downs this last year on numerous occassinons and expect to get away with fleecing the punters for substandard workmanship when an post ran it these breakdowns were unheard of

Advertisement