Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I killed my clams?

• 10-01-2015 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭

Bought some clams this afternoon and used about half the batch in a sea food chowder which turned out great.

The remaining batch I placed in a bowl and covered with water - wrong thing to do I know now. They were in the water about an hour and a half.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Bought some clams this afternoon and used about half the batch in a sea food chowder which turned out great.

The remaining batch I placed in a bowl and covered with water - wrong thing to do I know now. They were in the water about an hour and a half.

Probably dead unless you used artificial seawater!

But still edible. Steam them, shuck 'em and save the meats for something e.g spaghetti and clam sauce, Nom, Nom, Nom.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Jawgap wrote: »
    Probably dead unless you used artificial seawater!

But still edible. Steam them, shuck 'em and save the meats for something e.g spaghetti and clam sauce, Nom, Nom, Nom.....

Oh I dunno - got sick from shellfish in Portugal a few years ago - not pleasant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Oh I dunno - got sick from shellfish in Portugal a few years ago - not pleasant

The idea that unopened shellfish are somehow of poorer quality is a myth - started by Jane Grigson in her Fish book.

If you bought them fresh today they'll be grand - what's the number on them? The tag should have an oval mark on the tag with an IE no., probably with an SO prefix if they're Irish.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Sorry folks, I think this is in the territory of food safety advice, so I have to lock the thread.

Google suggests that you should never eat dead clams, and I'll repeat our mantra here: When in doubt, throw it out. Shellfish poisoning is not nice!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement