Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't boot up Dell PC

Options
  • 10-01-2015 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 660 desktop. When I tried to boot it up today I can't get past the Dell logo splash screen. It says press f12 for boot options but when I press it nothing happens I can't get into the bios. I tried plugging out the power and holding the power switch and their are no usb flash drives or wires plugged in only the keyboard.

I have also tried unplugging the hard drive but no luck. I upgraded the graphics card a year ago and it was working fine. I also put another 4gb of ram 6 months ago and that was working fine to.

Anyone has any ideas of what might be wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Any status lights on the front of the case or on the motherboard? Most DELLs will have a POST code sequence to diagnose boot problems. Check the manual for your specific submodel, should tell you what sequence or flashing pattern means what.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 0connell15

All lights look fine so far. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the response!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭free_man

As you can't into BIOS, seems to be a BIOS issue. Try resetting BIOS. Also check BIOS battery. If your PC is > 4 yrs old, the battery might be dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

Yes CMOS battery needs replacing

Advertisement