Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thornleigh Square, Swords

• 10-01-2015 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if I could get opinions on Thornleigh Square in Swords? Don't know the area too much but thinking of moving there. Can someone say what the area is like for a family with small children? Is it safe? Will be much appreciated for any info!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 islandrabbit

Also, any shops around this area?

Any info would be grateful...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Any info would be grateful...

You'll only get replies if someone who posts here either lives in or knows the area well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I've lived in Thornleigh for over ten years now.

The Pros;

Right beside Applewood Village which has a Medical Clinic, Pharmacy, Eurospar, butchers, French Bakery, Cafe, Chinese Restaurant, Pub & 3 takeaways,

It's well serviced with buses with the 41c & Swords Express.

Right beside Energie Fitness which has a nice gym & 20 meter pool.

If you have children there is a brand new playground in the estate.

Thornleigh Educate Together primary school is in the estate & Swords Educate Together (which has a better reputation) is also nearby.

Cons;

Most of the houses are rented so you never really get to know your neighbours.

Soundproofing in the houses isn't great & you can hear your neighbours.

Fingal County Council haven't taken over the estate & don't seem to want to as it would be more work for them.

The estate itself has a big problem with litter.
    A lot of people throw rubbish on the streets especially the teenagers going through Thornleigh to get to the all weather football pitch.
    As FCC haven't take over the estate it never gets picked up unless some of the residents like myself pick up the litter on their respective roads.
    The Residents Association have organised clean up days in the past but the association haven't been as active in recent years as we became disillusioned dealing with FCC.

Overall it's an alright place to live but if it was me I would be looking at Sandford Woods or Bunbury Gate.
    But that's just me because I get very frustrated with littering.

Best of luck with your decision

PWEI wrote: »
    I've lived in Thornleigh for over ten years now.

The Pros;

Right beside Applewood Village which has a Medical Clinic, Pharmacy, Eurospar, butchers, French Baker, Cafe, Chinese Restaurant, Pub & 3 takeaways,

It's well serviced with buses with the 41c & Swords Express.

Right beside Energie Fitness which has a nice gym & 20 meter pool.

If you have children there is a brand new playground in the estate.

Thornleigh Educate Together primary school is in the estate & Swords Educate Together (which has a better reputation) is also nearby.

Cons;

Most of the houses are rented so you never really get to know your neighbours.

Soundproofing in the houses isn't great & you can hear your neighbours.

Fingal County Council haven't taken over the estate & don't seem to want to as it would be more work for them.

The estate itself has a big problem with litter.
    A lot of people throw rubbish on the streets especially the teenagers going through Thornleigh to get to the all weather football pitch.
    As FCC haven't take over the estate it never gets picked up unless some of the residents like myself pick up the litter on their respective roads.
    The Residents Association have organised clean up days in the past but the association haven't been as active in recent years as we became disillusioned dealing with FCC.

Overall it's an alright place to live but if it was me I would be looking at Sandford Woods or Bunbury Gate.
    But that's just me because I get very frustrated with littering.

Best of luck with your decision

Thank you so much. It is very useful info. Great reply...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 ScamAtak

Its a nice place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

ScamAtak wrote: »
    Its a nice place

It's an nightmare of a place, I lived there for 10 years, best thing I ever did was manage to sell it and move out. I had young kids at the time, it wasn't safe to let them out to play due to anti-social behaviour from teens going to the Astro. The playground was taken over by <mod: snipped derogatory term> The apartments were all social welfare and had all the associated problems.

Would not recommend anyone buy there, go to Sandford, Glen Ellan, Bunbury etc. same amenities but most houses are owned, there is a sense of community and plenty of green spaces for the kids to play on.

That's not to mention the nightmare neighbour from hell we had who was dealing drugs and having parties every night until he got evicted after we contacted the letting agency and the landlord. The landlord had to spend €10,000's to fix the damage done to the property.

I would caveat it by saying intially when it was built it was ok, but then the recession hit and it became affordable to rent on social welfare programs and that's when it went drastically downhill, with rents recovering I would guess a lot of the anti-social elements have been priced out and gone back to further out in NCD.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I have to close this because it's so old, feel free to open a new one though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement