Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mid 90's house - what can I rely on for grounding?

Options
  • 10-01-2015 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Are radiators always grounded - I know I could use a device that's plugged in but that isn't always convenient....

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,093 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

the short answer is no not all rads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

A non-electric radiator wouldn't be earthed as it won't be an exposed conductive part. It might be bonded, however, if it is an extraneous conductive part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

My house was built in 1997, the rads are connected with plastic pipes and are not earthed.

THere is no bonding cable to the rads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

There is no requirement to bond those rads , you could induce a fault on to them by doing so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, look under your sinks (kitchen and bathroom) and see if the water pipes are grounded - mine are but I can't see any earth wires near any of the rads. The sink and drainer unit in my kitchen is also grounded. The central heating pipes are welded together beneath the floorboards so they could be earthed at one invisible point for all I know.

You can wire a single conductor to the earth pin of a plug.

Advertisement