Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savings Query

Options
  • 10-01-2015 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi lads,
    I have started a new job after a period of unemployment. So I am looking to maybe set up a second bank or credit union account. It won't be a huge amount of money goin to the second account but I think it might be a good idea to get a history started with a second bank. I'm sure some of you here have a knowledge of which banks offer incentives and lower fees. Any help is appreciated. By the way my current bank is aib

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Are you looking for a savings account with the highest rate? Are you looking to save monthly?

A good guide to the regular saver accounts is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sharkey 25

JTMan wrote: »
    Are you looking for a savings account with the highest rate? Are you looking to save monthly?

Thanks, that looks good I'll have a proper look over it later.
    Yes I am planning to set up a dd from my current acc with aib to which ever bank I choose in the end. I also have in mind that maybe having a history with a second bank might be beneficial if want to look for a loan in the future. Excuse my ignorance, but say for example I applied for a loan with my current bank (aib), will it hinder my application if there is a regular dd goin to a different bank?
    Also what are people's thoughts on saving with the credit union? I've heard for years that they are good if you are looking for a smaller loan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭TrishSimon

sharkey 25 wrote: »
    Thanks, that looks good I'll have a proper look over it later.
    Yes I am planning to set up a dd from my current acc with aib to which ever bank I choose in the end. I also have in mind that maybe having a history with a second bank might be beneficial if want to look for a loan in the future. Excuse my ignorance, but say for example I applied for a loan with my current bank (aib), will it hinder my application if there is a regular dd goin to a different bank?
    Also what are people's thoughts on saving with the credit union? I've heard for years that they are good if you are looking for a smaller loan.

Just because you save with another bank it wont hinder you chances in anyway of getting a loan from your current bank in actual fact it will show them you are a good saver, my preference has always been the credit union I have had savings accounts before with a bank and also loans with a bank but I prefer the CU because its more personal you can get loans much quicker and with less hassle and also if you are out of work or come on hardship you can call down to them have a chat and work out something. I have had a loan of 12K with the CU and yes the payments are slightly higher then banks but I still would go with them anyday, I've had top up and new loans plus I save with them.
    They also have new thing which is sort of like a bank card and you can save on that and take it out whenever you want whilst also having a regular credit union account to save in and use as a basis to get a loan.
    Best of Luck

Advertisement