Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing goods from china

Options
  • 11-01-2015 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

If I want to import say 300 phone cases from china which come in small enough boxes do I have to pay any extra fees?

for 300 cases it costs US$147.00
    and for Postage and packaging it costs US$55.00

Totaling US$202.00

Would there be any extra charges such as import taxes or VAT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Yep you pay duty and vat this will give you a rough idea of how much it will be. If you it is being sent via airmail you will probably need to get a SAD completed too which is a bit of a pain as you either need to do it yourself at specific revenue offices or pay an agent to do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

tombocasey wrote: »
    If I want to import say 300 phone cases from china which come in small enough boxes do I have to pay any extra fees?

for 300 cases it costs US$147.00
    and for Postage and packaging it costs US$55.00

Totaling US$202.00

Would there be any extra charges such as import taxes or VAT?

Hello Tombocasey,

If the phonecases are made of plastic the rate of duty will be 6.5% calculated over the cost of the product plus postage and packaging. VAT will be calculated at 23% over the combined total of cost of product plus packaging plus duty.

This is what the calculation would be for imports after 14JAN15, using the customs rate of exchange of 1.1831 Us$ = 1 Euro

Us$ 202 @ 1.1831 = € 170.74
    Duty @ 6.5% = € 11.10
    Value for VAT = € 170.74 + € 11.10 = € 181.84 @ 23% = € 41.82

NB : The carrier (if your supplier uses postage that is likely to be An Post) will charge an admin fee to process the entry and prepay the duty / VAT to customs. An Post appears to be charging € 6.50. They will collect the Duty / VAT + admin fee on delivery.

If you are a VAT registered trader the VAT paid on imports is a deductible input in your VAT return.

Hope this assists

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

jimmii wrote: »
    Yep you pay duty and vat this will give you a rough idea of how much it will be. If you it is being sent via airmail you will probably need to get a SAD completed too which is a bit of a pain as you either need to do it yourself at specific revenue offices or pay an agent to do it for you.

Hello Jimmii,

not sure about the customs clearance aspect of items coming in by post/air mail. I believe An Post will process the shipment through customs and collects the duty/VAT plus their admin fee on delivery. although you mentioned recently that you had to process an entry yourself ?

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Yeh still haven't gone down again after the one guy wasn't there last time. Its been a right pain!

jimmii wrote: »
    Yeh still haven't gone down again after the one guy wasn't there last time. Its been a right pain!

Are you sure An Post will not process the entry for you ?

• Advertisement

RUDOLF289 wrote: »
    Are you sure An Post will not process the entry for you ?

Nope they won't they just say to go to revenue or get an agent to do it. Definitely have to sort a different delivery route next time we order!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

I've had a bit of stuff delivered by airmail from China. (300 x iphone headphones etc)

On all occasions FEDEX has been the handler. They deliver the items to you and you think you have got off scott free. Then about 2 weeks later they send you a a VAT invoice that you need to pay.

Yeh I prefer how DHL charge you at the time otherwise you forget and them boom another €300! At least it turns up with them though!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Meritor

golfman wrote: »
    I've had a bit of stuff delivered by airmail from China. (300 x iphone headphones etc)

On all occasions FEDEX has been the handler. They deliver the items to you and you think you have got off scott free. Then about 2 weeks later they send you a a VAT invoice that you need to pay.

Though this is not relevant with this case, this reminded me an incidence.
    A friend of mine got his household stuff (relocating to Ireland) via Fedex. And after a few days, he got a an Invoice (with a bank Giro attached) stating that he needed to pay that amount as they (Fedex) has paid customs on his behalf.
    He asked them to send the receipt given from the custom with explanation why the custom had charged for used household stuff.
    They didn't reply ever, and my friend did not pay anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Meritor wrote: »
    Though this is not relevant with this case, this reminded me an incidence.
    A friend of mine got his household stuff (relocating to Ireland) via Fedex. And after a few days, he got a an Invoice (with a bank Giro attached) stating that he needed to pay that amount as they (Fedex) has paid customs on his behalf.
    He asked them to send the receipt given from the custom with explanation why the custom had charged for used household stuff.
    They didn't reply ever, and my friend did not pay anything.

so fedex made an entry error, your friend informed them it was personal household effects, fedex obviously accepted this and nothing was due.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

delahuntv wrote: »
    so fedex made an entry error, your friend informed them it was personal household effects, fedex obviously accepted this and nothing was due.

I wonder what would have happened if he'd paid

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Staceyybbb

Hi guys

I have ordered 300 baseball caps from China. I have recieved samples of the hats already and I am happy with the quality.

Just want to know how much is it going to cost me to get the hats through customes and vat etc.

And also how long will it take them to clear once they are in ireland?

Quick response would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12 royob

You might get a letter from Customs with instructions to send them a copy of the purchase receipt including shipping, once they receive this they'll return instructions to collect the items at your post office with the amount to be paid which is 23% of the total on the receipt including shipping plus €6 handling fee for AnPost.

Advertisement